Is it possible? Colt Navy 1851 airsoft

grenater

Hey rpf family! I never really joined the rpf for anything but star wars as I am a huge fan! But more and more slowly I am getting sucked in lol, I really just love building stuff! Anyways I really, REALLY LIKE "the good the bad and the ugly" maybe it's because the parts in starwars that where inspired by spaghetti westerns where my favorite, like boba fett with the spurs and his father the gun slinger, and Han solo just shooting up greedo and tossing him a coin "sorry about the mess" I don't know all I know is I really like westerns okay, anyways away with you procrastination and in with the question! I want to build a functional airsoft colt Navy from the dollars trilogy it needs to be under $50 us dollars and be sturdy, my idea was to buy a cheap airsoft revolver like this: http://www.evike.com/products/28227 steal the necessary parts to make an airsoft and transfer it into a cap gun body as they are often die cast metal, spaghetti western style pistols! My thinking is steal the grips and handle portion off the cap gun along with the barrel and attach it to the main airsoft body. And possibly reinforce it with a light coat of glass on the inside. Use some bondo to fill the seams and scratch build some details out of materials like sintra or possibly thin sheet metal. It needs to be fully operational! Other wise I would just buy the cheap engraved one for sale on ebay. I understand this is difficult and if it wasn't I probably wouldn't be interested in doing it, I like solving problems! Here is the link to the cap gun I'm thinking of using: http://m.ebay.com/itm/Cap-Gun-8-sho...volver-Made-in-Spain-/371505592474?nav=SEARCH thanks!

-Nate

Im very familiar with the Colt Navy and can say for certain, youll be wasting your time and money with an end product that will look nothing as you imagined. The Colt Navy is an awkward revolver in comparison to modern revolvers. If you have ever disassembled one youll find it amazing how such thin areas of metal can withstand use as a firearm in what would appear to be weak links where the barrel attaches to the grip frame. This is where any Frankenstein type kit bashing will fail. It just will not look right. Even the Denix replicas are highly inaccurate. To be honest, your better off spending the money on a real steel black powder Uberti kit for around $300 but keep in mind that IS black powder and NOT cartridge conversion. The GBU guns had a custom cartridge conversion set up. Some of those original guns have been unearthed and should be in a book due out soon. There are many types of cartridge conversions but as mentioned GBU had its own style.

These are real steel Colt Navy's, one an actual antique, the other an Uberti. Notice the cartridge conversion on top.
33opmoy.jpg

For an idea of what you would be looking at parts wise, and keep in mind the Colt Navy fits in my hand like a toy gun, its not as big as you may think, these are castings I did for my own Man With No Name costume. I broke the gun down to the main parts and it assembles like the real steel model. The grips were moulded separately as well.

foehhx.jpg

d8nch.jpg

and the casting assembled:
2rfsr5d.jpg

Thanks robstyle that was my main concern, was trying to achieve something that wouldn't quite look or function right! Thanks ks for your honesty

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob, gun you cast, is that resin?

Not resin but high impact plastic. Cast in color of course, no paint what so ever on those parts, strait from the mould as is.

Ive not had any time to set up shop for a run of anything. Still overloaded with multiple home remodel projects.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back