Movies that you hoped had different endings (SPOILERS)

maffhewdc

Sr Member
I just got this random idea. Spoilers, obviously. This thread is open to any kind of movies. Just tell us what movie it is, and how you hoped it would have ended, and we could also talk about some things that may have disappointed you in these films. We can discuss your opinions with each other too. But please, no hate posts to the other members posting. We gotta do this with respect. I'll start.

The Dark Knight Rises.
I wish we could have seen Batman (really) die a heroic death, it would have put a lot more meaning to everything he went through in the film. Also, I wish we didn't get that 'Robin' tease that never had a next chapter. When the nuke exploded, I went like, "Oh hey, that heroic sacrifice felt really earned." It was a beautiful montage seeing how Gotham carried on the legacy after the death of the Batman. But towards the last five minutes, when clues were slowly being brought up that he did in fact survive, I thought it was a cheated way to end the character's story arc in the film. I would have loved to see Alfred walking away from the Wayne family's tombs, slowly panning out up towards the sky and seeing the clouds for the Batman logo one last time (just like how the films start). Don't get me wrong, the original ending was pretty okay and in my opinion, Nolan did a great job with the movie despite some negative reception. But I did kinda feel cheated when they revealed he was alive.

Django Unchained: I thought it was going to end with a handshake, and that would have been that. I kept thinking, well, this is certainly a different ending than I had thought it would be. But then Tarantino did his thing, and that was that.

Dungeon's and Dragon's movie did not end with kids at a sleepover playing the game or something of the like. such an obvious ending its still a bit disappointing when you don't get it !

I got another. Batman V Superman. The way Bruce acts after he fights Supes, and the way he talks about him at the funeral, it just seems too pretentious. He's hated this guy for what like 2-3 years? (in between MoS and BvS) then after that Martha thing he acts like they're best friends who've had so much history together that just had a brief argument?

Law abiding citizen. I so wanted to see Jamie Fox get blown up at the end. I mean Clyde was 10 steps ahead of all of those yahoos the whole movie. There no way Foxes character was smarter than Clyde. It should have ended with Clyde turning the tables. I hate rooting for a murderer in a movie, but the way Clyde's wife and daughter were killed, who could blame him. And I can't stand Jamie Fox anyway, so it would have been a win, win ;-)

Dirty Mary Crazy Larry
Without that ending nobody would even remember that film. Besides, this was just a typical 70's film ending. You might as well change the ending for Vanishing Point, Taxi Driver, Straw Dogs, Deliverance and Bonnie and Clyde.
Even though that film was a bit contrived the ending still kinda makes the movie, no?
The Sixth Sense
An M Night Samalyan movie without a twist ending? Would you really want to watch that?

So I hear what you are saying, but gotcha endings can really only be viewed once. Next time you are thinking about the gotcha and how the movie is now different. You look for clues like the train in the background, but the film is less enjoyable.

Sixth Sense is creatively along the lines of all those middle school writers who ended a story with "and then I woke up".

Regarding DMCL, I can watch a boring movie with the sound of a V-8 all day long, but this movie was made in a time when the miscreant had to fail at the end of every film. I think all it needed was for them to hear the loud doppler effect during the final dialogue and then cross the line and realize how stupid they were. It would have changed them. That's just my preference.

Se7en works fine, but I just can't enjoy the ending being married with children. I can appreciate the idea of the film, but have no interest in the ending, personally.

I love 'The Lost World" (1997), and the T. rex loose in San Diego is fun and all, but the original scripted ending was so much more interesting.

Instead of a T. rex rampaging through the streets of San Diego, everybody stays on the island. Besides Ian Malcolm, Nick Van Owen, Sarah Harding, and Kelly, Roland Tembo and Peter Ludlow, along with a few other hunters also escape the long grass and make it to the Worker Village, which encompasses an entire 13 buildings not just the handful of structures we get in the final film (in order to do the San Diego ending, Spielberg had to move funds away from the Village, which meant they could only finish the buildings they already started working on). There, the Raptor chase ensues, but it is much more drawn out. Meanwhile, Ludlow and Roland slip out to hunt the Bull Rex. The Bull, however, turns the tides of the hunt in his favor and Roland accepts the big Rex as the superior hunter. Ludlow is unsatisfied with that, and tries shooting the Rex. He misses, and the Rex carts him off to his nest where he is fed to the Baby T. rex ala Lewis Dodgson's death in the novel. The distress call gets made, and everybody except Ludlow gets off the island, only for the helicopters to be attacked by Pteranodons who had nested in the geothermal power shed that the helicopters landed on. This would later be partially reused in the beginning of the Pteranodon attack in "Jurassic World." The Pteranodons leave the remaining helicopter alone (the one carrying Roland, Nick, Sarah, Malcolm, and Kelly) once it flies out of the Pteranodon's territory. Everybody gets back to the mainland just in time for John Hammond to die. At his funeral, Ian Malcolm delivers the eulogy and Tim and Lex cameo to say they are taking over InGen and Hammond's dream of Isla Sorna being a biological preserve in the wake of their grandfather's and uncle's deaths.

In all this original script has some useless parts, is a bit less polished, and has quite a few more plotholes than even than final film, but it's also darker and has the fragrance of Michael Crichton's writing all over it, despite Crichton not being a part of the second movie's screenplay. With a bit more polishing, I think this would have been the superior ending to the movie.

Se7en had as much a twist ending as Star Wars (1977). I saw it about 20 minutes out (scene when Paltrow was talking to Freeman), and groaned when it happened. Could've been much more of a surprise if it WASN'T her, but someone else.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back