Rogue One Vader costume

When there's controversy, I try to argue both sides and hope the Force lies in the balance of the two extremes.

On one hand... saying it "definitely sounds VERY fishy" and "it does sound fishy" implies a belief there is an intention to deceive. Saying that you don't believe Bookface is "lying, per-se" indicates you still think what is said is a lie. For you to make this out to be a lie until disproven by a production member is, I feel, unnecessarily and baselessly authoritative given that you know well that the production member would violate a signed NDA by speaking out, and it could be said that your argument essentially takes advantage of this person's legally-imposed silence. As kind as this production member has been with me to tell me things, suffice it to say that he has had a remarkable career so far that he does not want to have trashed because fans are arguing over a piece of resin and baiting him to respond.

On the flipside, you could very well argue that I or Bookface are taking advantage of this person's silence. However, this would be nonsense. Simply look at our track record and my 10 years of educating fellow Vader fans openly here and on The Prop Den. Simply look a few pages back on this thread and note that I told people I didn't consider all Quasimodos as suddenly having a direct connection to the R1 prop. At the time of this writing, I've not even published the fact of Quasimodos use on my own Facebook page. You've also not seen Bookface boost his prices to gouge fans.

It is best if we simply stick to the facts and have a conversation without insinuations because we can get our emotions attached to Vader discussions and cross swords too quickly.

If you are okay with this, then I will suggest simply saying that it's improbable, but not impossible, that the studio used fan source. The logic is that the studio behind Rogue One would have had access to the LFL Archives and some form of 3D scan of an original Vader. I'll also contribute to that: we've seen a fiberglass casting of an OT at LFL in the documentary of the making of the ROTS Vader, so clearly they do have an OT source. Yet those studied in Vader have indicated the R1 helmet isn't direct from an LFL OT source (i.e. there are some who can eyeball a TM, eFX and SL and instantly tell them apart).

But let's take a step back and look at this topic more generally and objectively.

I believe that Quasimodo was NOT alone where the Rogue One production used another source (even fan source) instead of an LFL source.

• The same could be said for the armor. Yet the R1 on-screen armor's shape is inconsistent with the originals.
  • The same could be said for the codpiece. LFL has a full ESB in the Archives they could have traced. Yet everyone notices the diaper.
  • The same could also be said for the cape. The OT pattern revealed the chest more. The R1 pattern seems to be a larger percentage of a full circle, resulting in too much material that covers the chest armor and the robe.
  • The same could be said for the TIE Pilots. To me, they looked slimmer overall than the originals.
    [*]I didn't freeze-frame, but a Death Star Droid type of droid was briefly in the film and something looked slightly off about it.
  • The Stormtroopers, as we know, are symmetrical, yet even though they mirrored one side, why was it that the side they scanned still didn't quite have the same awesomeness as an ANH or ESB original?

There are probably more examples. My personal theory is that the production members are SW fans themselves, and some collect replicas just like we do, and they needed to do things quickly and used what they had access to (i.e. their personal collections). Why all the trouble to laserscan a Quasimodo and then modify it? Well, the same could be said for Stromtroopers. The artists had the liberty to make tweaks to the Stormtrooper and idealize it. We're in a Hi-Def era with 4k already on the horizon, and the roughness of hand-finished props of yesteryear don't do well when magnified on the big screen. When something is laserscanned, an artist may have to re-topologize the surfaces and idealize them based on the production's visual standards. (It may save time simply working on one side, then mirror-flipping it to form the other half.)

So why wouldn't the production have access LFL sources for any of the above? Our assumption is that Disney's purchase of LFL included the Archives, but I've not been able to verify that this was part of the $4B deal. Some Googling results indicate the Archives are Lucas' private possession but do not provide sources. If this is true, Lucasfilm has to contact George Lucas for a separate arrangement for access to the Archives. (EA's Star Wars Battlefront shows that their team did gain access to the Archives, so we know access is possible). If Disney does own the Archives, then we'd to verify if they have a process or policy regarding property under one business unit being given access to another.

We are oblivious to all the issues the Production faced. I think the production did their best given what they had and what they did not have, and one crew member happened to own a Quasimodo.

If you've made up your mind there is deception, then please, by all means, disprove us by proving the Rogue One helmet was based on an LFL source. And although my intention is not to bother Brian Muir to settle an issue over - again - a piece of resin, he is also free to call me out if I am in fact a liar.

You don't have to agree with me, but hopefully, we can keep discussions factual and logical and enjoy a beer while at it! :cheers

If you go on YouTube and search "gordon tarpley" he is the leader in the 3po builders club. His favorite droid is the one you speak of. He's got 2 or 3 videos chewing apart the new Death Star droid

It's actually quite amazing how much he noticed just from the trailers. The videos are kinda long so if your really interested it's a great couple of watches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are articles I will have to go back now to find where I read them. I'll find them. What I recall them saying was he was specifically brought in for Vader.

Rogue One is even on Brian's filmography on his website.
http://www.brianmuirvadersculptor.com/filmography.html

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170603/c0b7abbd4ed03e0317408bb43a406c3b.jpg

Nobody has denied that Brian made an announcement of his involvement in Rogue One earlier on. He made mention of his work with two suits, but then went silent on the topic.

Based on your screen capture, can you tell us specifically what he worked on?

Have you tried talking to him yourself?

Here's another example of a fan-made used by The Force Awakens.

R2-D2 IS IN STAR WARS: EPISODE VII, AND HE’S FAN-MADE[/h]Link: http://www.starwars.com/news/r2-d2-is-in-star-wars-episode-7-and-hes-fan-made

In the above-referenced article, the makers of the R2 unit were members of the R2-D2 Builders Club. And this happened via LFL president Kathleen Kennedy.

Also, if you review IMDB on the cast of TFA, Kenny Baker is not listed as an actor. A Bloomberg article lists him as a consultant. If the makers of the TFA R2 unit made it as a full robot, there might not be room for Kenny to be within the R2 unit.

So here is yet another precedence of the official production using something that was not an LFL Archives source.

If you go on YouTube and search "gordon tarpley" he is the leader in the 3po builders club. His favorite droid is the one you speak of. He's got 2 or 3 videos chewing apart the new Death Star droid

It's actually quite amazing how much he noticed just from the trailers. The videos are kinda long so if your really interested it's a great couple of watches

I found it. Wow, this was a great video - very educational. Gordon kind of reminds me of me! :thumbsup

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f3YjOw6vLo

In this regard, I'm nowhere near his expertise with the RA-7 but he provides a very in-depth comparison that proves the DSD in R1 is inconsistent with LFL Archive sources.

Here's another example of a fan-made used by The Force Awakens.

R2-D2 IS IN STAR WARS: EPISODE VII, AND HE’S FAN-MADE

Link: http://www.starwars.com/news/r2-d2-is-in-star-wars-episode-7-and-hes-fan-made

In the above-referenced article, the makers of the R2 unit were members of the R2-D2 Builders Club. And this happened via LFL president Kathleen Kennedy.

Also, if you review IMDB on the cast of TFA, Kenny Baker is not listed as an actor. A Bloomberg article lists him as a consultant. If the makers of the TFA R2 unit made it as a full robot, there might not be room for Kenny to be within the R2 unit.

So here is yet another precedence of the official production using something that was not an LFL Archives source.

yup! 2 r2d2 builders were hired by lucas film to build 4 new R2's for the force awakens. the 2 men who built the R2's also got a lot of their friends to supply the droids you see at the rebel base in TFA and R1!

- - - Updated - - -

for the record, i believe everything bookface says because i am a R2 builder and see the working relationships they have with their prop replica fan base. no doubt in my mind what bookface is saying is true :cheers

Congrats on the use of your mask guys, Not sure why using accurate available assets other than the Lucasfilm archive seems so unbelievable?

The digital x wing from R1 is supposed to be a Salzo v3 model scanned in as I am led to believe, there are major tells of it being used for the full scale too....

Force awakens R2. Famously fan made.

Not quite the same thing but Steve Starkillers digital falcon model has been used for an official tv toy advert, I'm sure all these things simply come down to cost.

The archive has always been Georges personal man cave and I don't see why disney would own it now. they simply don't need it.

Congrats again :)

Last edited:
In many instances in this hobby, the word of others is all that we have. You can try searching for concrete proof of all things Star Wars, hard data, photographic evidence, or sworn affidavits from George Lucas or others "in the know," but in most cases you'll come up empty. Even some of what the people "in the know" will remember or will share is sometimes inaccurate in varying degrees, due to the passage of time, and the fading of memories.

"Knowledge" and "research" in this hobby is often a study of theories, conjecture and inference. Much can be learned from even a single, grainy photograph, but sometimes we don't even have that. It's somewhat remarkable how much we don't "know" with absolute certainty, even with all of the time spent studying and resources that exist.

In the end, for me, when others who are known in the community say "I know," I tend to listen. Vader research is full of this. Sometimes a person who has said "I know" will be found out as having stretched their story, but more often than not it seems that as more information comes to light, that information becomes added weight in giving credence to the person's original claims. Healthy skepticism is, in fact, healthy, but I try not to let the quest for "The Ultimate Truth of All Things" prevent me from learning what I can from those who seem to know more than I do. And I can say, there's no shortage of such people, here and elsewhere. :lol

To answer the question regarding why they didnt just use the LFL archives for the Vader helmet. There is absolutely no ANH Vader helmets in the archive. Only ESB and ROTJ. The only screen used Vader helmet from ANH is in the private collection featured in the book: "Objets Du Mythe". So the archives didnt really have an option as far as creating an ANH or pre-ANH Vader helmet.

To answer the question regarding why they didnt just use the LFL archives for the Vader helmet. There is absolutely no ANH Vader helmets in the archive. Only ESB and ROTJ. The only screen used Vader helmet from ANH is in the private collection featured in the book: "Objets Du Mythe". So the archives didnt really have an option as far as creating an ANH or pre-ANH Vader helmet.
Let me answer that with a question: what about the "efx" Rick Baker mold?

They had access to the mould off the original ANH helmet.
Also there are two ANH tour helmets in the Archives.

Let me answer that with a question: what about the "efx" Rick Baker mold?

My understanding is that the original ANH is in a private collection as per the book Juan just cited. It is not in the Archives.

As to the ANH tour helmets and Rick Baker mold, it comes down to whether or not the production had arranged access to the Archives at all.

Those are valid points to consider. However you have to question:

A) is the mold usable anymore? I might be mistaken but I recall reading that at the time EFX worked on their casting for their replicas, the mold was showing signs its age. So even if the mold has some life left to it, perhaps its not worth risking finally damaging it for one more pull.

B) Even if there are two tour helmets in the archives, the tour helmets are not necessarily the ideal source for a Hero helmet. Not only where those tour helmets extensively damaged from touring around ( which would require casting to repair the damage in order to have a clean master either for casting the production helmets or to scan for the 3D printing) but the ANH touring helmet had some modifications that would already set it apart from what the screen used ANH helmet actually was. In other words, using the tour helmet would have been a hell of a lot more work than just 3D scanning an already clean and undamaged fan made helmet. Specially one that already has the right look to it.

I have read some places that the helmet that was burned in the pyre scene in ROTJ was the ANH helmet. Not sure if it was true.
I think that observation that it was ANH was first made by Vadermania, who has been to the Archives. It was likely to have bee an ANH tour helmet, as the original ANH was recently sighted - unburned - in a private collection.

No, you've misunderstood the account. My understanding is that the creation of Vader's outfit was left a little later than ideal meaning compromises needed to be made on where some parts came from. Two members of the R1 production had Vader helmets in their own personal collections. One owned a Quasimodo ANH, the other provided two helmets of a different origin. All 3 helmets were loaned to the production by these two individuals.

When there's controversy, I try to argue both sides and hope the Force lies in the balance of the two extremes.

On one hand... saying it "definitely sounds VERY fishy" and "it does sound fishy" implies a belief there is an intention to deceive. Saying that you don't believe Bookface is "lying, per-se" indicates you still think what is said is a lie. For you to make this out to be a lie until disproven by a production member is, I feel, unnecessarily and baselessly authoritative given that you know well that the production member would violate a signed NDA by speaking out, and it could be said that your argument essentially takes advantage of this person's legally-imposed silence. As kind as this production member has been with me to tell me things, suffice it to say that he has had a remarkable career so far that he does not want to have trashed because fans are arguing over a piece of resin and baiting him to respond.

After reviewing all of Mac and Bookface's points, I still am unsure where I stand on the accuracy of the idea that the Quasimodo helmet was scanned for the film. And here's my reasoning why....
  • There is, indeed, as Mac said, a lot of differences between the Rogue One face and the original screen used ANH, which leads me to believe that the Rogue One helmet was not scanned from an ANH face in any way shape or form. If it was scanned from an ANH Quasimodo... why would it have more ESB style qualities such as the cheeks, lines where the tusks connect, and nose bridge? Sure, both mouth vents are smaller than ANH (with the top mouth vent being, actually smaller, than the ANH), but that's a quality that could've been added on to just about any helmet.
  • With the style of the face matching closer to an ESB, why would the production team go out of look over 3 styles of helmets that were own by team members, decide to go with an ANH style, scan it, and THEN convert it to look (somehow) close to ESB in shape. Why not start with something closer to an ESB?
  • We know for a fact that at least some portion of the production team were allowed to take a look in the archives and to use pictures, scans, what have you as reference. We do not know if this was the same department or members of the department that did Vader. If it was the same members who did Vader, than if they were going for a more ESB/ANH look for the face, why on earth wouldn't they scan a tour helmet? Those, we do know, still exist, unlike the ANH style helmet which is in a private collection.
  • Yes, fan made items HAVE been used for the films, but they were always contacted, asked, and it was more or less shown as an honor and as an actual announcement from the films production department as they were using fan-made items. It was never just a fan saying "Hey, my stuff was used, because I've been told by secret person that it was used"
So basically, here's where the issue is. You could say that the Quasimodo helmet was scanned and used for the base of the R1 helmet. Gino could come into the conversation and say the same thing (although, you already informed him that you guy's helmet was used to be scanned, so we know that isn't going to happen) and I would believe it just as quickly. It's not that I'm all against you guys, but I'm presenting the skepticism that automatically is popping into my head. It's really a 50/50 thing, at the end of the day. Because of NDAs (which, by the way, I'm not stupid, and I wouldn't expect anyone to break) it makes it a tough argument to EVER prove right, but a tough argument to ever prove wrong. You won't ever have a crew member back you up on here or anywhere else, because of NDA, but you also won't ever have anyone prove you wrong because no crew member is ever going to come on here and say "no that's not true" either.

I definitely don't think it was done by Brian Muir though, if that's the other side of the argument. I'm unsure as to what part he played on the film, but I don't believe it was in creating Vader's suit.

So basically, here's where the issue is. You could say that the Quasimodo helmet was scanned and used for the base of the R1 helmet. Gino could come into the conversation and say the same thing (although, you already informed him that you guy's helmet was used to be scanned, so we know that isn't going to happen) .

I had known for a while, but given the negativity towards the Rogue One Vader, I wasn't sure it was worth mentioning that Quasimodo was the basis. I was actually reasonably happy to keep this to myself.

As you had pointed out, one day on Rebelscum, Gino stated that a crew member obtained one of his old helmets and used it as the basis of the Rogue One Vader. Bookface and I had already known this to be incorrect, as another crew member had been in touch with Bookface. Gino provided the purchaser's info to Bookface. Bookface contacted that person and found that Gino's helmet was in fact not used, but Quasimodo was. We decided that it was necessary to correct the public record, as repetition tends to become facts in the fandom. Gino has since not challenged our position on this.

I don't mind you disagreeing with the claim topically, but insinuating there is deception is another thing. If you are of sufficient knowledge to confirm the mask has no LFL ANH traits, then you should be of sufficient knowledge to prove the ESB traits you think you're seeing are true to the originals. Look back at my 10 years and I have never said anything claiming secret knowledge from secret LFL sources. I chose, instead, to use powers of observation. So if what I say is untrue, you're invited to disprove me, but saying things like "we know for a fact" and "they were always" but not citing sources or providing a breakdown of verification doesn't mean your disbelief and suppositions are automatically elevated to truth.

I've shared good pictures of Quasimodo painted up like a Rogue One for you to make a facial comparison. In establishing evidence, not only prove your belief but disprove that which you believe to be untrue.

But I agree with your closing comment. I believe, in the end, that Brian had worked on Rogue One in general. We don't have information outside of that.

Last edited:
After reviewing all of Mac and Bookface's points, I still am unsure where I stand on the accuracy of the idea that the Quasimodo helmet was scanned for the film. And here's my reasoning why....
  • There is, indeed, as Mac said, a lot of differences between the Rogue One face and the original screen used ANH, which leads me to believe that the Rogue One helmet was not scanned from an ANH face in any way shape or form. If it was scanned from an ANH Quasimodo... why would it have more ESB style qualities such as the cheeks, lines where the tusks connect, and nose bridge? Sure, both mouth vents are smaller than ANH (with the top mouth vent being, actually smaller, than the ANH), but that's a quality that could've been added on to just about any helmet.
  • With the style of the face matching closer to an ESB, why would the production team go out of look over 3 styles of helmets that were own by team members, decide to go with an ANH style, scan it, and THEN convert it to look (somehow) close to ESB in shape. Why not start with something closer to an ESB?
  • We know for a fact that at least some portion of the production team were allowed to take a look in the archives and to use pictures, scans, what have you as reference. We do not know if this was the same department or members of the department that did Vader. If it was the same members who did Vader, than if they were going for a more ESB/ANH look for the face, why on earth wouldn't they scan a tour helmet? Those, we do know, still exist, unlike the ANH style helmet which is in a private collection.
  • Yes, fan made items HAVE been used for the films, but they were always contacted, asked, and it was more or less shown as an honor and as an actual announcement from the films production department as they were using fan-made items. It was never just a fan saying "Hey, my stuff was used, because I've been told by secret person that it was used"
So basically, here's where the issue is. You could say that the Quasimodo helmet was scanned and used for the base of the R1 helmet. Gino could come into the conversation and say the same thing (although, you already informed him that you guy's helmet was used to be scanned, so we know that isn't going to happen) and I would believe it just as quickly. It's not that I'm all against you guys, but I'm presenting the skepticism that automatically is popping into my head. It's really a 50/50 thing, at the end of the day. Because of NDAs (which, by the way, I'm not stupid, and I wouldn't expect anyone to break) it makes it a tough argument to EVER prove right, but a tough argument to ever prove wrong. You won't ever have a crew member back you up on here or anywhere else, because of NDA, but you also won't ever have anyone prove you wrong because no crew member is ever going to come on here and say "no that's not true" either.

I definitely don't think it was done by Brian Muir though, if that's the other side of the argument. I'm unsure as to what part he played on the film, but I don't believe it was in creating Vader's suit.

The ANH Quasimodo and ESB Quasimodo are identical in all the areas you listed. I made two changes for ESB: I enlarged the chin triangle, and I very slightly compressed the sides of the mask towards the back, creating a slightly slimmer look to it. It's about 1/4" slimmer than ANH.

I know that they used an ANH Quasi, because that's what I sold the guy. There is also a tiny tell on the chin vent on ANH Quasi that is present on the R1 helmet. Any comparison to the tubes on the side of the face and where the tusks connect is flawed anyway, simply because they obviously did a ton of work to those tubes to make them perfectly smooth and regular, in the style of a Reveal mask.

The rest of your questions I can't answer. If that leaves me open to people being unsure how to take it, then fine. Like Mac said, until false information was provided elsewhere, I was perfectly happy to keep this to myself and brag privately to friends and family.

The similarity in pictures is there for all to see if you wish to investigate it on that basis.

Actually, I have a small correction to make to the above account. When I first asked my source if he was able to confirm Quasimodo was used, I asked specifically if it had been 3D scanned and printed. He replied that Quasi had been used, but the face had been cleaned up by a 'modeller'. Because of my original question, I assumed this was a 3D modeller. After talking with Mac about some of the conversations he's had with our other source (Mac talked to him more at length), we discovered a discrepancy between what he'd been told, and what I'd assumed.

So, to the best of my (corrected) knowledge, it was not scanned and printed. It was a physical cast that was modified. My mistake. This may now make the story more or less believable, depending on your point of view. :lol

As bookface said earlier: I strongly doubt they had acces to the archives at all. Case in point is the cape, it looks so weird. The reason I believe it is is that because on the SLR website it's written that the ANH cape was a 3/4 circle which seems to be incorrect.

Both Kermit Eller and Dave Prowse have said the cape was a semi circle, and while I don't think that is quite correct it may have been very close to it that it's easier to say that :)! Just look at pictures of ANH and ESB.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back