The Graflex Shop glass eye not screwing all the way on vintage Graflex. Advice?

jt001

Sr Member
After many, many years lost I finally found my original vintage Graflex (thankfully it was just misplaced in my X-Wing Pilot costume bag). It was originally an ESB, but after some time, I became more attached to the ANH version. At the time, I used a Yodashouse kit - yes... this saber has been with me for nearly 20 years!). Some 15 years ago I bought a Folmer Graflex bottom and it was just lying around... all I needed was a glass eye.

I ordered a glass eye replica from The Graflex Shop, which was promptly mailed. To my surprise, the glass eye won't screw all the way in, only halfway. I'm afraid I might damage the thread on the Graflex if I add more torque. TGS mentioned that the threading on vintages can be pretty tight and in order to asked expedite the process, they asked me if I was willing to ship the Graflex top along with the defective glass eye to them so they can look for a good fit. If not, modify an existing glass eye replica, have it re-threaded and re-plated.

Have you guys have come across this problem? I attached a photo of the button on the vintage Graflex (it won't fit Roman's Graflex either). The glass eye won't get pass this point. Any advice?

Romans.jpgTGS.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1231.JPG
    IMG_1231.JPG
    773.4 KB · Views: 374
Mine was the same way. I wrapped it in a towel to protect the knurling and used a pair of pliers to tighten it down. After that it screws on and off by hand with no issues.

After many, many years lost I finally found my original vintage Graflex (thankfully it was just misplaced in my X-Wing Pilot costume bag). It was originally an ESB, but after some time, I became more attached to the ANH version. At the time, I used a Yodashouse kit - yes... this saber has been with me for nearly 20 years!). Some 15 years ago I bought a Folmer Graflex bottom and it was just lying around... all I needed was a glass eye.

I ordered a glass eye replica from The Graflex Shop, which was promptly mailed. To my surprise, the glass eye won't screw all the way in, only halfway. I'm afraid I might damage the thread on the Graflex if I add more torque. TGS mentioned that the threading on vintages can be pretty tight and in order to asked expedite the process, they asked me if I was willing to ship the Graflex top along with the defective glass eye to them so they can look for a good fit. If not, modify an existing glass eye replica, have it re-threaded and re-plated.

Have you guys have come across this problem? I attached a photo of the button on the vintage Graflex (it won't fit Roman's Graflex either). The glass eye won't get pass this point. Any advice?

View attachment 711444View attachment 711445

I know some similar problems were happening with their red buttons, the threading was too tight and they made an option for either threading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

does TGS make their own parts? or do they source it from other manufacturers?

I have a Folmer, and many years ago I brought a Parks glass eye for it, and it fitted perfectly, I haven't tried testing my Roman glass eye on it yet.

maybe try some WD40?

I had this problem as well with my GRAFLEX shop glass eye--a simple fix.

I just lightly filed down the threading on the glass eye piece, just a tiny bit all around. This reduced the size of the threads--after that, I had no problems. I can only assume that this problem was the result of the thickness of the thin nickel plating being applied over the overall piece which made the threads just slightly too large to fit into an original GRAFLEX socket.

As one can see, the amount of minor filing down of the threads, seen here, is almost imperceptible:

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back