Lightsaber Family Tree

You know, I wasn't sure where to draw the line. I thought of just doing the movie stuff-- but museum and display pieces have become such a part of the prop lore it felt wrong not to add them. I considered then adding consumer replicas, but there's so many of them that it quickly turned to a rabbit hole in my mind that led to toys and fan-build runs and so on. It was just too much info to find room for and gather. I decided to just stick with what was on-screen, and one generation away from that.

And before somebody asks... I thought about adding all the PT sabers used by the other random Jedi, but given that they were machined in mass-quantities and didn't evolve between films it just seemed superfluous. I included just Obi-Wan and Anakin since their ROTS props we intended to resemble the OT versions.

And before somebody asks... I thought about adding all the PT sabers used by the other random Jedi, but given that they were machined in mass-quantities and didn't evolve between films it just seemed superfluous. I included just Obi-Wan and Anakin since their ROTS props we intended to resemble the OT versions.

I'm certainly not trying to create any more work for anyone, but this would be a cool idea for a second poster. All the film sabers, including the more obscure ones from the prequal Jedis. If one was really ambitious one could even include non-film but still pictured sabers from the EU like Mara Jade's sabers, etc.

That is obviously a separate poster, but it would be a Great resource to have at a glance, especially for noobs like me.

I still can't overstate the coolness of the poster that you have in hand.

Thanks!

And yeah-- that would be cool. I don't know if there's a visual resource of just all the sabers that actually hows all variations. That would be a cool thing... for somebody else to make. :)

I just don't have the love, and therefor knowledge of, non-OT sabers. Like I said, ROTS only made it on here since Anakin and Obi-Wan's sabers were inspired by what was in ANH.

I didn't add Kylo Ren's saber for similar reasons. It's in the movie, but it was scratch build and not based on anything. If Episode VIII gives us a different version I'll update it then!

THIS IS BEAUTIFUL YOU ADDED PICTURES AND BACKGROUND

Also, I think the two Vader ANH Hero pics are of the same prop. The silver side-bar one has a gap above the grips, and those are both of the black one, with the clamp slid all the way down

It looks like it doesn't it? I went by partsofsw which said Blockade Runner entrance, and Leia's interrogation being the two different ones, so I just grabbed from those. I agree with you though, they look the same.

The Celebration Anakin ROTS saber (with the different clamp card and differently-positioned grips) is missing. That aside, this is a fantastic chart!

Didn't know that existed! You have some pics that show the differences?

Photos of the real prop from Celebration III, and a replica based upon it. Grips are in different positions, and the circuit card has a different pattern.

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=42484.0

There's at least one more variant seen in the movie itself--during the scenes with Anakin, Palpatine, and Obi-wan making their way through Grevious' ship, the saber has the Covertec/bottom half rotated 180 degrees, so that the clip is on the opposite side, in line with the "clamp".

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Ahem...anyway....I actually never knew that either, You'd think a shop that can chrome plate rubber wouldn't have inconsistencies like that

Well maybe the PT prop team took the same approach to their work as Lucas did-- just bang a bunch of random stuff together and make it shiny.

The "theoretical line" between the shared stunt and Yuma stunt, should be moved between Yuma and Hero/Cave Build.

One suggestion:
I think the control box changes between the "Luke Close-Up" saber justify separating it into two windows: the "ISYHCANL" with the blue confirmed line to the "Hero / Cave Build / MoM". It would work better for the offshoot "Resin MoM" too.

The "theoretical line" between the shared stunt and Yuma stunt, should be moved between Yuma and Hero/Cave Build.

Oops! Good catch!

I think the control box changes between the "Luke Close-Up" saber justify separating it into two windows: the "ISYHCANL" with the blue confirmed line to the "Hero / Cave Build / MoM". It would work better for the offshoot "Resin MoM" too.

Sorry-- not following. The blue line would mean the ISYHCANL and the cave hero are one and the same-- that's why i put them in the same box. I found threads here with some people saying they were separate, others the same.

One suggestion:

The evidence and stuff we have suggests the Yuma was made with a nod to the shared stunt, and the ISYHCANL was one of many Yuma sabers repurposed. The cave build was the very same saber, with additions made to the control box.

One suggestion:

Sorry-- not following. The blue line would mean the ISYHCANL and the cave hero are one and the same-- that's why i put them in the same box. I found threads here with some people saying they were separate, others the same.

Yes, they are the same saber but with additional parts added to the "ISYHCANL" for filming the "Cave Scene". The separate windows (w/confirmed line) would be to recognize the fact that the original control box has been upgraded/modified inside and outside with additional parts.

The evidence and stuff we have suggests the Yuma was made with a nod to the shared stunt, and the ISYHCANL was one of many Yuma sabers repurposed. The cave build was the very same saber, with additions made to the control box.

Yes, my post agrees with all this albeit not in the clearest way. My point was that if I want to create a replica "Luke Close-Up" saber the control box is what determines its name(what scene it comes). Is that worth noting in the saber poster? I don't know, to me it is but I understand if it isn't enough of a change for others. Either way brilliant job with the graphics so far SethS!

We have different iterations of the same saber elsewhere, so I think I could break them out. It's not much different than the shared Luke/Vader ANH stunt in theory.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back