Doctor Strange costume (Benedict Cumberbatch version) question

Slowly making some progress on my costume! Just a few little teaser pics here

5293eb93dccebf324a172147e27c4ca0.jpg

65db925e113d2cff52b8f6f5271629a4.jpg

9620dca4639e4d5d9b6c56b684b8cafd.jpg
b08467c2536a6cadf42e4248d0820b3f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Slowly making some progress on my costume! Just a few little teaser pics here.

I have been trying to work out a pattern for the woven leather belt (the blue and brown one) like the one you have here. It looks like you have done something I was thinking about - twisting the strips of leather around a central core. Have you glued the border strips or sewn them?

Does anyone have tips on the collar? I tried interfacing but it won't stand. I've been thinking about craft foam, but wanted to hear what you all were doing.

I also need a pattern for it, Mine looks BAD.

I have been trying to work out a pattern for the woven leather belt (the blue and brown one) like the one you have here. It looks like you have done something I was thinking about - twisting the strips of leather around a central core. Have you glued the border strips or sewn them?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/474x/b2/3d/33/b23d33af09f5da6c8ae2f14565b2c20f.jpg
this is the technique i followed, after that i attached it onto some foam for thickness and then sewed the vinyl for the edges

To get your collar to stand-up try interfacing by a company called Legacy which is fusible on both sides which is very stiff. It should easily do the job.

A pair of pictures from the Brisbane Comic-Con - aside from how high the collar is, I'm pretty happy with this! The "brain material" and trim patterns have come up just how I wanted them.

I printed the Eye myself, but credit to PropLord for the STL files! I printed the eyeball part in translucent PLA so even when lightly painted in gold it let the light shine through just that part of the Eye.

Dr Strange Bris Comic-Con 2.jpgDr Strange Bris Comic-Con.jpg

This thread is awesome. I had a blue linen shirt based on the photos made in China while I was there on business but my tailor balked at making the tunic without a pattern.

Did I miss the posts describing how people are making the tunic? Has anyone made a pattern? I'm an armor builder so I'm trying to put this together using the talents of others.

I haven't checked the junkyard yet for commissions.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

HI everyone! I just got back from the Doctor Strange preview at Disney California Adventure (which was rad, btw.)

They had one of the costumes there; I snagged a few shots with my iPhone; I tried to get details. If anyone has requests, I might be back there while it's still there and I could take a better camera (I was just there for fun and to ride rides today.)

I'm not cosplaying Strange but thought I'd pay some cosplay karma forward ;) This seemed like the main thread.

IMG_4360.jpgIMG_4368.jpgIMG_4367.jpgIMG_4366.jpgIMG_4365.jpgIMG_4364.jpgIMG_4363.jpgIMG_4362.jpgIMG_4361.jpgIMG_4369.jpg

This thread is awesome. I had a blue linen shirt based on the photos made in China while I was there on business but my tailor balked at making the tunic without a pattern.

Did I miss the posts describing how people are making the tunic? Has anyone made a pattern? I'm an armor builder so I'm trying to put this together using the talents of others.

I haven't checked the junkyard yet for commissions.

I have been working on a pattern for a tabard. I meant to make a mock-up of this pattern this weekend but just ran out of time working on a Evie Fry pattern for my daughter who is a cosplayer. I was wondering if anyone thought that this looked similar to what they may have done so far.

Having found no evidence for a seam at the shoulder I am going to cut the whole thing from one piece of fabric 1.5m wide. I will cut five identical pieces, roll hem the edges and quilt the five pieces together with the top stitching you can see on the back and the front. The front and back will join between the armscye and the notch that appears on the side. I thought I would make the first layer of linen, the next three of home spun and the top one of the same linen as the first layer. That should make it light enough but to still have that firm padded look to it like a medieval tabard.

I will post a picture next week when I have cut a sample of this pattern.

14517553_10155276072408835_3619776536306585950_n.jpg

14517553_10155276072408835_3619776536306585950_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't been happy with any of the braided belts I have seen so far so am going to attempt to do my own. This is 40 meters of two ply hemp cord that I found that looks like it will do the job (sorry about the crap photo).

photo-2.JPG

HI everyone! I just got back from the Doctor Strange preview at Disney California Adventure (which was rad, btw.)

They had one of the costumes there; I snagged a few shots with my iPhone; I tried to get details. If anyone has requests, I might be back there while it's still there and I could take a better camera (I was just there for fun and to ride rides today.)

I'm not cosplaying Strange but thought I'd pay some cosplay karma forward ;) This seemed like the main thread.

I would like a close-up of the shirt at the neck so that the trim shows up really well. Also a close-up of the round "belt buckle" would be great. I am trying to work out if it is turned from a piece of timber and then reinforced with some sort of metal.

Finally a close-up of where the seams on the back of the cape meet the "roundel" that sits on the left shoulder would be great as well.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back