Star Wars Full-Size Scout Trooper Speeder Bike Build

Curious, and I apologize if you already answered this, but why did you opt for stationary as opposed to wheels for the base? Obviously the fixed position offers better support, but how difficult have you found it to move? Was there a certain weight you were hoping to keep it under and thus easier to move? I was just thinking that sliding it around on wheels would make it easier after build, no? Perhaps you can swap them out? Just wanted to know your thought process?
I really like how you are incorporating cheap and easy parts. You are the MacGyver of builders. :cool

I want one...lol

Hey Jim - The SpeederBike has been a want of mine ever since I was kid. Too bad there isn't a full-size kit out there for the masses!

I love seeing builds like this from start to finish. Awesome job!

Celtic - Thanks for stopping by and checking it out! It's fun to see how it started with a sheet of foam and plywood. It seems my large projects always happen in the dead of winter and summer. Next year, I'll need a bigger fan in the garage to keep up with the heat!

Curious, and I apologize if you already answered this, but why did you opt for stationary as opposed to wheels for the base? Obviously the fixed position offers better support, but how difficult have you found it to move? Was there a certain weight you were hoping to keep it under and thus easier to move? I was just thinking that sliding it around on wheels would make it easier after build, no? Perhaps you can swap them out? Just wanted to know your thought process?
I really like how you are incorporating cheap and easy parts. You are the MacGyver of builders. :cool

Hey Spanky - No one actually asked the question just yet... But it's a good one! I had initially started looking at rolling office chairs and when I found these ones, I realized that since we'll be putting this out for public display, I didn't want it moving away on me. Therefore, I had to come up with a mobility option. I have a harbor freight hand truck that just fits under the back chair and sits back at 45-degree angle. Then, I just pick up the bike underneath the nose and wheel it around. I found this presents the best of both worlds - stable platform when it's sitting and the ability to move it around with the hand truck.

This is my 12th full-size Star Wars prop/costume build since January of this year in preparation for the Halloween event. Honestly, the only way I could build my dream movie room (Star Wars) was to connect it to our Halloween event. Therefore, I've had to keep each prop at a minimum cost in order to get to all of them. I'm still building the Endor Base, finalizing an Imperial Guard mannequin, and have many other projects to complete - so stay tuned! ;)

Thanks for stopping by and checking it out!

- - - Updated - - -

Incredible! Congrats! She looks awesome!

Hey Sofa - thanks for comments - quite a compliment coming from a highly ambitious builder! I'm not done yet - many more new projects still underway. Just need more time to post them on here.

Last edited:
This is awesome by the way and I am very impressed and now contemplating for a later build but.... back to the subject matter. Have you aver looked into a universal mobile tool base for this as well? You could possibly have a "grassy" platform that is the base and hide the feet of the chairs and be mobile at the same time.??
I saw this the other day and this build came to mind and someone beat me to the question but here's my 2 pennies..
http://www.woodcraft.com/product/152711/woodriver-universal-mobile-base-hardware-kit.aspx

Once again... too cool.

Hey Spanky - No one actually asked the question just yet... But it's a good one! I had initially started looking at rolling office chairs and when I found these ones, I realized that since we'll be putting this out for public display, I didn't want it moving away on me. Therefore, I had to come up with a mobility option. I have a harbor freight hand truck that just fits under the back chair and sits back at 45-degree angle. Then, I just pick up the bike underneath the nose and wheel it around. I found this presents the best of both worlds - stable platform when it's sitting and the ability to move it around with the hand truck.

Those are pretty cool! Once I get my scout trooper uniform completed, I'll probably take the bike out for a photo shoot somewhere "less suburbia" and Photoshop the stand out so it looks more official.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Incredible!!!! What a stunner.....incredible work!!! It's been fun to watch the progress of your project!!!

WOW WOW...and WOW!!! :)

Incredible!!!! What a stunner.....incredible work!!! It's been fun to watch the progress of your project!!!

WOW WOW...and WOW!!! :)

Hey Chris! THANKS!!! Glad you were able to see the end result. It's been a fun one to build - I think it's going to be a good centerpiece on Halloween! Still hoping we get some 501st support this year!

Had a few updates to add as I included an LED lighting kit to show it off properly at night:

XMKKCDLsLqnD5Th3a-pAF3D5pawbPqP6UA_XA=w708-h399-no.jpg

c1_9y3djCnDqFpbTiYDx4wTAEW40wyQh86bQ=w1470-h827-no.jpg

oAoo13nf-1-taChglQOKZ0TZIm2TG-16gjCQ=w1470-h827-no.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Amassing some very large props for Halloween this year.

yNsjNObkL6QdcNcZr29tKfvB10ka5XKcHVug=w1470-h827-no.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing build, don't know if I could manage it as I have allergic asthma, allergic to dust and chemical fumes lol. ...would love to give it a go so wondered if you would be able to share any plans, templates or 3d files please? Regards, Craig

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back