Tron Legacy Costume

Annisse said she used about 36 feet for her lighting.

For our Sam outfits we estimated about 38 feet (single wire with extra few inches added per segment for cutting/soldering). If you wanted to double up el-wire on the thicker lights on the chest/back I guess you would be getting nearer to the 50-60' range.

We're hoping single strand looks good.

Hi Anisse,

How many feet of EL Wire are you using in total? I'm making a Quorra for my girlfriend and I'm not sure.
Since it has to be doubled, I'm guessing about 2 meters (about 7 feet) for every strip more or less. Is this kinda correct?

If that is correct, I'm estimating more than 60 feet for Sam's...phewww...

Thanks!

Yes, I am using about 36 ft. of EL WIRE doubled to make my strips. I will be using 2 drivers to power the entire suit and my boot.

One medium driver in a project box on my lower back section, just like Quorra's, will be power my chest armor which has two plug n play connectors to the driver, both arms, again, 2 plug n play connectors to the driver on my back and the strip down my right leg will have one plug n play connector to the same driver on my back. I need extenstion connectors to make the wires long enough to reach my back of course. All those wires will be hidden under my bodysuit. My one right boot will have a small driver which will clip to the boot or tucked away in my leg IF it fits which I doubt it, those boots are tight. So basically 6 plug n play connectors total on my suit.

I still need to find a project box which will hold the driver and my batterry cage on my back or I might have to custom build one myself. Was thinking of trying FRY's or some other electronic store here in LA.

Go with Wig #2 girl! Will look sweet when it is styled. I think the cut already looks very close to Quorra's. High back mob cut and angled down coming in towards the chin.

Thanks Dakarn and Annisse! Wig 2 was the one I was leaning towards, but I'm always up for second opinions. Btw, what do you think of those glove ebay links I put up a few posts above? (Annisse, you're the Quorra expert at the moment, so I bow to your observations.) :cool

If anyone's interested in knowing, that second wig is by Dazzle. The colour is "Midnight Black."

SUESYLVESTER - Thanks so much for posting those reference images. Those help immensely!

Wish there were better high detail shots of Rinzler's Helmet... hopefully some more flynn's arcade shots of it pop up. Those two are very hard to distinguish features b/c they are so reflective. For the longest time I thought there were two giant sucked in areas for the eyes... I don't think that is the case anymore.

It's wig time! :cool

I've narrowed it down to two short black wigs. I'm going the synthetic route as a human hair wig would be way out of my budget. Besides, some of the synthetics nowadays don't look half bad. The tricky thing is trying to find a wig that both fits my small head (and weak jawline. Sadly, I don't have a strong bone structure like Olivia Wilde), but also looks like Quorra's hair.

Wig 1 - Photos 1-2: I thought it was too big in person (I have a wee little head), but it doesn't seem to look half bad in photos.

Wig 2 - Photos 3-6: This is very very close to what my hair would actually look like if I cut it and it's quite comfortable to wear.

Both wigs would need to be cut and styled of course. Let me know which you guys like better!

agree wig 2. comfort and little to no styling required is always a good option. Having a small head makes it hard to find the stuff you need. If you end up wanting a helmet the place I got mine also makes them in xs.

Hey everyone! I know a lot of us are going to the Friday premiere, but I was also thinking maybe later we could go to the El Capitan theater at some point too, Maybe after the 1st of the year, do another get together when even more people have their costumes finished. If 20 or more want to go we can get a group discount. My roommate got a cool flier in the mail today.

Hey everyone! I know a lot of us are going to the Friday premiere, but I was also thinking maybe later we could go to the El Capitan theater at some point too, Maybe after the 1st of the year, do another get together when even more people have their costumes finished. If 20 or more want to go we can get a group discount. My roommate got a cool flier in the mail today.

Yes! I am definately down for that and there is a laser show or something like that before each Tron Legacy movie at the El Capitan. I got the flyer too and when I saw that I was like Ahhhh man! Laser show!!!!

But a laser show can't beat seeing it for the 1st time on an IMAX screen, well at least for me ;P

Latex? Like a body-cast latex type suit? Is that sturdy enough in latex?

Yes, I am using latex 1.05mm latex sheeting from FOUR D it's in the UK. They are the best quality latex sheeting company. Well, basically all the good latex sheeting IS only in the UK. The US doesn't have crap. They do, but the quality sucks. and it sucks for us in the US because those international shipping charges are murder on your wallet.

WOW! thanks for posting those. We're those the actual costumes the used from the movie on display? I was so upset after SDCC was over I was totally obivilous that Flynn's Arcade End of Line Club was there. I had no idea. It was like some big secret. It looked incredible from the photos I have seen online and stories I have heard from ppl that went. Like you had to get there Flynn's arcade which was full of dust covered up arcade games and there was some hidden passage way which led to the End of Line club. Amazing they put that together! Wish it was structured like that at ElecTRONica.

Those lights on the costumes.... SO BRIGHT! and are getting me more and more pumped to finish my lighted version of Quorra :D

Thank's Annisse. Congrats on the Silk Specter win by the way. Yeah SDCC Flynn's arcade was awesome. They should really turn that in to a real Club in Vegas or hollywood. LOL. The LED wall was crazy. The best part when one of the Sirens came out. I wanted to take pics of her for costume reference however I did not want to creep her out. LOL.

Do you know when the TRON red carpet premiere is?

That is the actual Maquette I believe. I asked one of the reps and she said yes. Maquette is the practical life size build so that the producers/directors/props people can actually see and feel what they want to create.

Yes! I am definately down for that and there is a laser show or something like that before each Tron Legacy movie at the El Capitan. I got the flyer too and when I saw that I was like Ahhhh man! Laser show!!!!

But a laser show can't beat seeing it for the 1st time on an IMAX screen, well at least for me ;P
Yeah, should be fun and since we are seeing it imax on Friday I say wait a few weeks and bust out the costumes again in January! Perhaps my birthday ;)

Hey All! I've been seeing great creations on this thread and wanted to share my small win for Halloween. It's taken me a while to get the time to post.

I bought an Under Armour suit (top and bottom) from a sporting goods store. Ordered a large sheet of Thermoflex RefLite for less than $40 and hand-cut the design, then had a t-shirt shop heat press it to the Under Armour. I was surprised that the suit didn't melt and the heat didn't affect the elasticity of the material. I customized a pair of costume gloves, my helmet and boots and added the identity disc replica. I had also put together a harness for the identity disc from foam sheets, elastic bands and a gas burner liner for magnetic attachment of the disc. I am pleased how it turned out.

Hope you enjoy.
Screen shot 2010-11-24 at 10.52.42 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-11-24 at 10.53.28 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-11-24 at 10.55.17 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-11-24 at 11.09.23 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-11-24 at 11.23.21 PM.png
1e3W2y1U2s0P2x3w1J0M
1e3W2y1U2s0P2x3w1J0M

Hey All! I've been seeing great creations on this thread and wanted to share my small win for Halloween. It's taken me a while to get the time to post.

I bought an Under Armour suit (top and bottom) from a sporting goods store. Ordered a large sheet of Thermoflex RefLite for less than $40 and hand-cut the design, then had a t-shirt shop heat press it to the Under Armour. I was surprised that the suit didn't melt and the heat didn't affect the elasticity of the material. I customized a pair of costume gloves, my helmet and boots and added the identity disc replica. I had also put together a harness for the identity disc from foam sheets, elastic bands and a gas burner liner for magnetic attachment of the disc. I am pleased how it turned out.

Hope you enjoy.
Screen shot 2010-11-24 at 10.52.42 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-11-24 at 10.53.28 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-11-24 at 10.55.17 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-11-24 at 11.09.23 PM.png
Screen shot 2010-11-24 at 11.23.21 PM.png
1e3W2y1U2s0P2x3w1J0M
1e3W2y1U2s0P2x3w1J0M

Very nice!! Simple and very effective, my congratulations. One of my fav. Just try to go a step beyond, this is sooooo close!!

We'll see how the 17th goes. Between you and Anni, I have a sneaky suspicion that the evening will end at 4 AM, with the two of you carrying me to the airport...LAPD trailing behind saying: 'Now, make sure he gets on the plane.'

ok, so things being what they are, and the fact that i love minor characters in a movie, i am starting to put together a second costume, based on the the guy with the hood in the trailer... the one with the half derezed face. i have a good friend that does body paint and SF makeup, she said that i would have to loose vision in one eye via an (latex) appliance, however airbrushing the digital pattern/depth shouldn't be that difficult...
i do need to get off my duff and post some photos... soon!!!

Great idea chiaroscurosity. It looks great and I bet very durable too. In the photo of the glove, you also have a foam rubber like material pressed into the fabric as well. What is that? Is Reflite essentially die-cut iron on reflective film?

Actordiver, I thought the El Capitan would be a good venue to show off the costumes too, Since they also display props at the theater. I can't wait to meet you guys. I'm in H18. I hope we'll see a lot of other fan costumes there too.
I think the red carpet premerr is Dec 11, time TBD.

Anyone get a solid look at Rinzler's Helmet at one of the events where they showcased it?

It looks like there may be some odd features on the front of it and I'm trying to figure it out. The two showcase pictures that are floating around have so much reflections on them its hard to decipher.

Looks like it may have like a brow-ridge effect which is not apparent from side-profile. A strong line in the median of the helmet.

It looks like the sides are smooth to the back... looks like it might be all visor all the way to the ears area and then tapers off to the upper back of the helmet.

I'm wondering if there is a funky geometry lens in the immediate front (triangluar shaped) which join to side-lenses that are cat-eye shaped.

Never get a real clear non-reflective shot in the trailer or behind the scenes thing... Some of the actionfigure/toy pictures are devoid of any detail while some look like it has some sorta brow-ridge feature as well but again really hard to see detail. Reflective black helmet = sadface.

5208409758_887fce31f2_b.jpg

5207830879_c743bab459_b.jpg

Last edited:
We'll see how the 17th goes. Between you and Anni, I have a sneaky suspicion that the evening will end at 4 AM, with the two of you carrying me to the airport...LAPD trailing behind saying: 'Now, make sure he gets on the plane.'

LOL. That can very easily be accomplished. Can't WAIT!!!! :D

Very nice!! Simple and very effective, my congratulations. One of my fav. Just try to go a step beyond, this is sooooo close!!
Thanks kaiwalkerz for your kind comment! I should add some armor and more detailing to push it further, as you said. I kick myself for not starting on it sooner for Halloween, but it came together in about three days, so I had to choose my battles. Now, I can take my time to do it better.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back