New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit

Just got home from seeing Rogue1. I'm also now going to say this is a R1 SD and not meant to be a replica from the OT.

Hope mine gets shipped soon! Really looking forward to adding this to my collection. I am considering waiting to build it in hopes that there will be some photo etched or 3D printed add on's though. And damn I'm going to have to learn how to do some lighting also.

my scratch build for ANH version. in progress. what's the difference exept bridge and guns? SXZlryIjxac.jpg

. Zvezda's kit is too thin. The sidewalls are two time lower than they should be.

Going to make a convertion kit to fix sidewalls.

View attachment 690504

my email: tereshkin-89@mail.ru, skype: nikki9t

You have to be careful with that. Make the sidewall trench too high--and it turns into the MPC/ERTL version. On screen--the sidewalls do look thinner than I seem to remember.
Zvezda is splitting the difference in keeping the sidewalls thin--but still capable of showing detail--unlike the Revell.

It is a good compromise.

Agreed, a lot of models (including some of the larger garage kits) overstate the height of the sidewalls and it reduces the scale IMHO.

GUYS I just saw Rogue one for the third time. I'm telling you I'm 95% sure the SD's in Rogue one have different proportions to ANH-ESB-ROTJ, i.e. larger bridge and narrower trenches for sure.
The entire top structure seems to be larger. (trying to avoid spoilers but) In that scene where there's a "small" Star Destroyer collision I was paying REALLY close attention because of this model discussion. looks like the proportions were reworked slightly.

GUYS I just saw Rogue one for the third time. I'm telling you I'm 95% sure the SD's in Rogue one have different proportions to ANH-ESB-ROTJ, i.e. larger bridge and narrower trenches for sure.

I think it's now a given that digital assets are going to be different than earlier versions. John Knoll has even said that the new star destroyer was designed to look the way people remember rather than how the model really was. So there are differences, just like there were differences between the ANH and TESB versions. For modelers, we just need to look at all of these like the differences between the various Falcons. For me, I always preferred the proportions of the ANH SD, so I like the new RO SD. It would be awesome if ILM released some orthos so modelers could whip out their rulers and adjust their models to their tastes, but I don't think that will stop modelers from hitting their heads against the wall because there are just so many details and subtle variations on each version that it's virtually impossible to replicate them accurately. The Zvezda is clearly based more on the TESB physical model, so I'll be taking my cues from that when I make adjustments to my kit, but I know going in that I'll never get it all completely right.

Sidewalls on the R1 ship definitely appear shorter than the physical models of the OT. The R1 ship does not have the stylized SF on the bridge like the ESB ship. I'm not going to spend any more time than necessary to build myself a very nice representation of a SD that I'm happy with. The Big Z is close enough to the R1 ship that I wont have to do too much to it to satisfy me.

I ordered mine and was told it was shipped on the 7th. I just got a tracking number on the 15th from USPS saying "We have received notice that the originating post is preparing to dispatch this mail piece." I think that means it is ready to leave Russia and head to the states.

Edit- Email update from USPS. Big Z was processed thru the St. Petersburg station yesterday. Seems like tracking is a day behind. Should be in the air by now.

Giggity....

Last edited:
Sidewalls on the R1 ship definitely appear shorter than the physical models of the OT. The R1 ship does not have the stylized SF on the bridge like the ESB ship. I'm not going to spend any more time than necessary to build myself a very nice representation of a SD that I'm happy with. The Big Z is close enough to the R1 ship that I wont have to do too much to it to satisfy me.

The R1 ship is a stylized version of the one from ANH, the bridge face is totally different than the ESB model. Also the side walls of the upper decks have very prominent vertical details just like the ANH, and the deck structure is taller. The Revell and Zvezda kits are clearly based on the ESB model, I don't care what the package labels say.

The Z kit will need a little work to resemble the ESB, and a LOT of work for the ANH/R1.

The R1 ship is a stylized version of the one from ANH, the bridge face is totally different than the ESB model. Also the side walls of the upper decks have very prominent vertical details just like the ANH, and the deck structure is taller. The Revell and Zvezda kits are clearly based on the ESB model, I don't care what the package labels say.

The Z kit will need a little work to resemble the ESB, and a LOT of work for the ANH/R1.

Both ANH and ESB type Star Destroyers are featured in the film.

Anyone else notice the Ghost form Rebels in that pic?

And does it annoy anyone else that they take the gallofree transports into battle with no/minimal guns???

I think I said form the beginning that the R1 SD was a blend of the other two, and that this model was of what is effectively SD 3

Jedi Dade

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back