Watchmen (HBO TV series)

Sneak peak at HBO's upcoming shows, including Watchmen. Features a look at Rorschach and Jeremy Irons as Ozymandias.

So apparently someone else has taken up the mask of Rorschach. Which is disappointing, despite being the best of the Watchmen, he's dead. Resurrecting him in any way doesn't do the character justice, unless it's a flashback, and he's still a pile of frozen goo in Antarctica.

Honestly, I'd rather see the original Watchmen, or the second Watchmen before Nixon put an end to masks.

The end of Watchmen was as good as it gets. Anything beyond that I'm not interested.

I think a prequel would be awesome but I understand that the sequel offers more freedom with the writing. I bet we will see some flashbacks because they won't expect everyone to know what happened to get to the current story.

In the new DC comic Rorschach is back but under the mask he a different person. However the person does have ties to Rorschach.

I'll probably get HBO again for His Dark Materials, so I'll check this out as well. I thought the extended version of the film was great, I hope this will pick up the film's ending, the GN ending was a bit silly to me.

Why do people keep giving Lindelof access to beloved franchises?

Weren’t Prometheus and STID enough?

Agreed. I've always maintained that he ruins everything he touches starting with LOST. Looking at his track record he's been behind some of the most loved/hated genre films in the past 10 years or so excluding the Star Wars sequels.

If it's a follow up to the GN they should have just rebooted and adapted the GN for the first season. It's a fairly complex story to just show in flashbacks for new audiences.

Went in with low expectations, but was completely surprised by the first episode. I think they've done a great job of making it contemporary and powerful. Right off the bat, it is triggering a whole bunch of people, for political reasons, and I think that is exactly as it should be. It got review bombed at Rotten Tomatoes immediately, for being "too political".

The beginning of the episode, highlighting the 1921 Tulsa race riot, was amazing. It seems that a whole lot of people did not realize that historical moment was not fictional. Instead, they used that history as a setting that seems to parallel the Superman origin story, with the baby being saved from the chaos.

The Rorschach-inspired 7th Kavalry seems like a really interesting spin on how Alan Moore was perplexed by the phenomenon of misguided admiration for the Rorschach anti-hero character. Here, it has turned into a political movement, with certain parallels to contemporary real-world US political factions. I think that is primarily what is fueling a bunch of the online vitriol, but this is exactly what I feel a good Watchmen follow-up should do.

I'm also really liking where the show seems to be going with the Redford presidency. In the original, we had the 5-term Nixon presidency, and now we get the 30-year left wing liberal government, showing how either political side could go just as badly without term limits. Robert Redford is utilized as the Democrat version of Reagan. We saw a poster with Redford in the background, and I'm wondering if they might actually get Redford to play the role.

I was worried about Lindelof as well, but found his letter to the fans compelling. With the first episode, at least, I feel he has certainly delivered something quite good, with a ton of potential. Eager for episode 2!

Lindelof seems to be good at starting things, making things mysterious and have people act like morons, but he never delivers on anything, so I generally avoid anything with his name attached to it.

I watched The Leftovers, for some reason after the second season it really took off from a certain point of view for me. Show runners aside, I watched the first episode of Watchmen, its a decent cast. It is one of those shows that you are going to love or hate within the first ten minutes, but it was riveting. Had to watch it twice to process what I was seeing, and got a history lesson in the process. Cant wait to see what mischief Jeremy Irons plays in this, and how the story arc works with Regina King's character. Anything else is a waste of material.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back