Solo: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

What did you think of Solo: A Star Wars Story?

• Total voters
I am so tired of hearing the excuse that Solo is performing so poorly due to fatigue. Look at how many marvel movies come out and time after time score big. It’s because the films give people what they ask for and listen to the fans. There shouldn’t be any pride in “subverting what fans want”. (KK takes pride in this)

That would be like if I ordered a pizza but my pizza place “subverted my expectations” by giving me a hot dog instead. Hot dogs are nice but it’s not what I want when I go to or call a pizza place. It’s a disconnect that the producer and creative team take pride in which only increases in fan apathy from what I see.

It seems more likely that it’s a combination of making a film no one asked for (not listening to or understanding fans) and backlash from a very, very divisive film (large numbers of people are apathetic to seeing another Star Wars movie after how TLJ made them feel)

I am so tired of hearing the excuse that Solo is performing so poorly due to fatigue. Look at how many marvel movies come out and time after time score big. It’s because the films give people what they ask for and listen to the fans. There shouldn’t be any pride in “subverting what fans want”. (KK takes pride in this)

That would be like if I ordered a pizza but my pizza place “subverted my expectations” by giving me a hot dog instead. Hot dogs are nice but it’s not what I want when I go to or call a pizza place. It’s a disconnect that the producer and creative team take pride in which only increases in fan apathy from what I see.

It seems more likely that it’s a combination of making a film no one asked for (not listening to or understanding fans) and backlash from a very, very divisive film (large numbers of people are apathetic to seeing another Star Wars movie after how TLJ made them feel)

I agree with your post, Moo, except the part about the film suffering because no one wanted it to begin with. I think that if they had made a good, high-SWIQ movie...and that includes casting Anthony Ingruber as the titular character...fans would be flocking to their cinemas, and it would've been a box office success.

The Wook

I think there's a distinction to be made between the Marvel films, which use monthly books as source material, and Star Wars films which have always been much more rare. Comic fans are used to new stories in rapid succession, whereas Star Wars fans are used to waiting and build up that has always made Star Wars feel more 'special' and event like to me.
That having been said, this movie felt like a Star Wars heist film to me so I don't really agree with it's SWIQ being off. You and I probably just don't have the same buttons for Star Warsiness.

this movie felt like a Star Wars heist film to me so I don't really agree with it's SWIQ being off. You and I probably just don't have the same buttons for Star Warsiness.

As far as you and I are concerned, Paul, there are three sets of buttons for "Star Warsiness", to use your term.

1) My set of buttons.
2) Your set of buttons.
3) The absolute set of buttons.

Whichever one of us is more aligned with the absolute set of buttons possesses a higher SWIQ. You think that's you. I think that's me.

We all make these SWIQ comparisons between ourselves and others in every one of our Star Wars debates here, ALL of you do it--whether you consciously believe in the absolute SWIQ standard or not.

The Wook

As far as you and I are concerned, Paul, there are three sets of buttons for "Star Warsiness", to use your term.

1) My set of buttons.
2) Your set of buttons.
3) The absolute set of buttons.

Whichever one of us is more aligned with the absolute set of buttons possesses a higher SWIQ. You think that's you. I think that's me.

We all make these SWIQ comparisons between ourselves and others in every one of our Star Wars debates here, ALL of you do it--whether you consciously believe in the absolute SWIQ standard or not.

The Wook

Only the sith deal in absolutes, my friend.

https://www.thewrap.com/solo-continues-nosedive-box-office/

I think you're on to something. Maybe if the last movie didn't start off with Luke condescending to Rey (and us) about showing up with his "laser sword" - a deliberate dig at her reverence (and ours) - and continue downhill from there, more moviegoers would be excited... If by "forget the past," they mean forget good Star Wars movies, then it's no wonder they were telling us to let it go.

Imagine extending the ending of The Force Awakens to include those first 10 seconds of Luke tossing the saber and how that would have impacted the film as a whole. Same thing with Aliens - include the opening credits from Alien3 and most people would have hated it... Bold choices, sure - but good? Nah...

Last edited:
https://www.thewrap.com/solo-continues-nosedive-box-office/

I think you're on to something. Maybe if the last movie didn't start off with Luke condescending to Rey (and us) about showing up with his "laser sword" - a deliberate dig at her reverence (and ours) - and continue downhill from there, more moviegoers would be excited... If by "forget the past," they mean forget good Star Wars movies, then it's no wonder they were telling us to let it go.

Imagine extending the ending of The Force Awaken to include those first 10 seconds of Luke tossing the saber and how that would have impacted the film as a whole. Same thing with Aliens - include the opening credits from Alien3 and most people would have hated it... Bold choices, sure - but good? Nah...

Wow, I cringe at the thought you've asked us to imagine, of Luke tossing the light saber at the end of TFA. They really need to sever all ties with Ruin.

High-SWIQ post, acdotcom.

The Wook

Interestingly enough I was on the Disney Magic and got an advanced sneak preview of the movie during our trip - zero issues with the quality of the projection which was why I was confused with all the comments saying things were too dark to see.

It sounds like theater owners aren't properly calibrating their digital projectors.

On a side note how was the cruise! We did a 5 day trip from San Diego to Cabo on the Wonder and loved it! Saw Avengers Infinity War in the main theater. :)

It sounds like theater owners aren't properly calibrating their digital projectors.

On a side note how was the cruise! We did a 5 day trip from San Diego to Cabo on the Wonder and loved it! Saw Avengers Infinity War in the main theater. :)

Cruise was awesome as always - we did a 13 night transatlantic (our 7th cruise with Disney but first this long). Disappointed they didn't have a Jack on board for their pirates night though - although it did mean my costume got a lot more attention, lol.

I agree with your post, Moo, except the part about the film suffering because no one wanted it to begin with. I think that if they had made a good, high-SWIQ movie...and that includes casting Anthony Ingruber as the titular character...fans would be flocking to their cinemas, and it would've been a box office success.

The Wook

Perhaps I was just jaded, because of Disney's track record with Star Wars films:thumbsup

Last edited:
Who is really surprised? This film suffered from underdeveloped characters, and many missed opportunities. The storyline fell flat and didn’t prompt an emotional response. The whole film came off as unimportant and average

Who's really surprised it didn't do well? With all the advanced bad press, online grumbling, and the bad will from TLJ, it was doomed from the get go. Even all the subsequent reviews confirming it wasn't as bad as predicted wasn't enough to save it.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back