Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Clever trailer.
Most of the new shots appear to be from the beginning and the end action sequences, the story information of which we know about from product releases. And by concentrating on the main cast we get almost no hints at all about the other subplots and new characters.
And there looks to be a lot of miss direction in what they have pieced together, the obvious one being Rey asking for help at the end and then the cut to Kylo holding his hand out. There are stacks of flaming fragments falling behind him that aren't in Reys clip, and it looks like totally different backgrounds in both shots.
It does seem far more of an epic than TFA, and I'm delighted to see actual space battles in this, they look wonderfully like the old OT scenes. The heavy walkers are impressive BUT the windows on the side still appear like eye slits and with those daft "fangs" that makes them look more like a robo vehicle than I'd like.
Overall I liked it alot ,but if it doesn't hold the exciting promise of the TFA its because we already know whats coming (within certain parameters ).
I loved seeing Luke again though!!!

Last edited:
Too many trying to nab tickets. I waited forever in que, but scored two seats.
Same. Last night it took me two hours to get through. The site kept crashing or timing out on me. Best seats were taken but the last time I got on exactly two perfectly located seats opened up. Someone must’ve cancelled. They appeared in the middle of the IMAX theater - two blue squares in a sea of grey. I got ‘em.

... well, actually my wife got them. We were competing on who could get tix first - me on PC vs. wife on iPad. I’m doing chores and rubbing her feet for the next week.

Hey @crabra commander ! I think "ridiculous" might be a bit strong a word there buddy. Slow that video down and frame by frame it my friend (starts at 1:31) and then compare it to known practical makeups.

Practical Chewie...
View attachment 764944

Practical Chewie...
View attachment 764945

Practical Chewie...
View attachment 764946

Practical Chewie...
View attachment 764947

Practical Chewie...
View attachment 764948

CGI Chewie...
View attachment 764949

See the difference? I think it's just Lucasfilm trying to show off how good they are at CGI-ing characters. They're getting cocky because of what they were able to achieve in Rogue One (and even there we recognized the work as CGI, though we let it slide for the movie's sake). But just like the added Jabba's Palace Scenes with the CGI singers in ROTJ, I think they're showing they're not quite as good as they think they are. If I'm proven wrong thinking this is CGI and it's a practical makeup... it's the most CGI looking makeup I've ever seen. Maybe we'll find out once the Blu-Ray is released with "The Making Of" scenes in it? Until then, and even after then, it doesn't look real to me.

Chewie's eyes is what kills it. Look at all the pics, you can barely see them. From the trailer, the whites just POP right out at you! Terrible CGI....

After the Rogue One trailers, I'm trying not to put too much stock in trailers. Shots and lines are often in them that aren't in the movie, so what I end up seeing doesn't match my expectations and I'm initially disappointed, and it takes my brain a few viewings to adjust. So...trying not to over analyze each word and frame.

But oh my god that was awesome!!!!

Did anyone notice the opening shot and what is 2 familiar designs in the hanger that Kylo is overlooking. I zoomed in and was quite surprised. I don't want to post pics and spoil it for those that don't want it but yeah check em out.

Ben

Hey @crabra commander ! I think "ridiculous" might be a bit strong a word there buddy. Slow that video down and frame by frame it my friend (starts at 1:31) and then compare it to known practical makeups.

Practical Chewie...
View attachment 764944

Practical Chewie...
View attachment 764945

Practical Chewie...
View attachment 764946

Practical Chewie...
View attachment 764947

Practical Chewie...
View attachment 764948

CGI Chewie...
View attachment 764949

See the difference? I think it's just Lucasfilm trying to show off how good they are at CGI-ing characters. They're getting cocky because of what they were able to achieve in Rogue One (and even there we recognized the work as CGI, though we let it slide for the movie's sake). But just like the added Jabba's Palace Scenes with the CGI singers in ROTJ, I think they're showing they're not quite as good as they think they are. If I'm proven wrong thinking this is CGI and it's a practical makeup... it's the most CGI looking makeup I've ever seen. Maybe we'll find out once the Blu-Ray is released with "The Making Of" scenes in it? Until then, and even after then, it doesn't look real to me.

Ha...to be fair a lot of those images have Chewies eyes blinking closed.....

This is a better comparison

star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-4488.jpg

star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-4487.jpg

J

Director Rian Johnson said Chewie is NOT CGed in the scene with Porg. https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/917609292810698752

Yeah, Chewy was definitely CG in that scream session with the Porg. :( But I did kinda like the first look at the Ice-crystal Foxes, we'll see how that pans out.

I'm hoping they really jumbled everything around in a wickedly misleading way... because that WAS a LOT of spoilers if it wasn't.

From Kylo struggling to kill his mother, to Luke running further into seclussion, to Rey getting Force bent by Snoke, to Rey gaining sympathy from Kylo (please don't let them turn out to be kissing cousins), to what was that in the center of the tree roots?

I almost don't want to go back and look for more things I'll have to forget on the day I go to see the movie in the theater. AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. I think so too. We'll see if he does it or not in December!

- - - Updated - - -

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/917609292810698752

- - - Updated - - -

Go argue with this man. https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/917609292810698752

Practical Chewie...
View attachment 764944

Practical Chewie...
View attachment 764945

Practical Chewie...
View attachment 764946

Practical Chewie...
View attachment 764947

Practical Chewie...
View attachment 764948

CGI Chewie...
View attachment 764949

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking the exact same thing.

O.K. Gang, wait, wait, wait, wait.

1. Kylo Ren's face is absent of the carbon fiber scar at the end of the Trailer in the scene with Rey!

2. What if Luke refering to "This is not going to go the way you think" was in a flashback scene from before the fall of The New Jedi Order and he was talking to Kylo or Snoke right before he went all SUPER JEDI and accidentally blew up the Academy himself.

3. And that's what he was talking about "I've seen this raw strength only once before. It didn't scare me enough then, it does now." was really him talking about himself losing control of his powers!

Checked the trailer out on the widescreen- I really like the interiors of the "factory", you can actually pick out old style At Ats and At Sts being loaded onto what I assume are the New Order dropships. Brilliant. And Kylos fighter works really far better than I hoped.
And I've had a chance now to use whats been "revealed" (not that there was much ) into my estimates of the storyline, including what purpose the mining planet is going to serve as a plot device. Huge clue in that trailer. I think this is going to thrill a lot of us.

Really feels more lime the climax of a trilogy than the second part. Having Rey meet Snoke already seems weird.

Traditionally, hasn't the bad guy (Vader, Maul, Anakin in the OT and PT) taken top spot in the poster? Is Luke's big head over everything a clue that he might not be the good guy? Or am I over-analyzing?

Kylash- Perhaps, but the feeling I've got is that they are trying to free up the storyline for IX by removing as many story similarities to Empire and Return of the Jedi as they can by inevitably having to have them in TLJ, which is why I think its got this long run time.

So I was at the theater at 6:50pm to get my ticket and ONE GUY bought out all of the 7pm showings! What an ******. Apparently some people aren't into sharing. So I guess I'm going at 7:45 on opening night. No big loss, but the idea of it upsets me a bit.

Anyhow, the trailer looks amazing and they introduced A TON of questions.

To the people saying Kylo is unredeemable... I still don't get it. How? Do you not understand how redemption arcs work? If he does not find redemption then Han Solo was just a dumb old man that died for literally no reason and his final confrontation with his one and only son was a waste of both of their time. Good job Han Solo! Way to go out like an idiot.

Did anyone notice the opening shot and what is 2 familiar designs in the hanger that Kylo is overlooking. I zoomed in and was quite surprised. I don't want to post pics and spoil it for those that don't want it but yeah check em out.

Ben

I'll do it for you.

OT walkers.jpg

Original AT-ATs.

SB

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back