The Force Awakens Millennium Falcon Projects

I really think we should use the 5 footer as a guide,....there are no elements of the 32" stunt Falcon on TFA CG asset

I'd say the 32" is retired

There are a few areas on TFA Falcon that are weathered differently,....Portside mandible for eg

J

Have you ever seen the 5 footer in person? I've never seen great photos of it that aren't washed out from a flash so I'm not sure if the paint is quite as layered as the 32" falcon

Yes there are plenty on the web,...ill post some

Remember that the 5 footer got a lot of attention & time spent on it, whereas the 32 was a quick rush job with overspray and pen marks....to try and give an impression of the 5 footer

J

Woohoo! Lucky you, J! My fat box with the fat Falcon won't be getting here until next week at best -- that's a lot of waiting before I finally see a 5-footer dome. Sharp eye with the mandible weathering, by the way! I want to get everything right so I might wait for the movie stills before I start spraying. Who knows we might get a full belly view (of the Falcon) and some close up top views -- I don't want to botch this as it's got so many delicate piping and details that it won't survive the paint-stripping toothbrush without breaking a few parts here and there. Or hmmm....why don't I get another one for backup. Astroboy, I admire your willpower to wait before picking up one of the these things. I'm weak and don't have that kind of resolve :)

Yes there are plenty on the web,...ill post some

Remember that the 5 footer got a lot of attention & time spent on it, whereas the 32 was a quick rush job with overspray and pen marks....to try and give an impression of the 5 footer

J

Quick rush job seriously!!! have you seen the 32" version in person? the 5 footer was very detailed but concidering the size of the 32" it was way more detailed, I was blown away when I saw it in person here at a SW model exhibiton in Montreal, I have the MR version luckily with a very good paintjob it has way more panelling/colors than the 5 footer which is impressive mostly because of its size.

Quick rush job seriously!!! have you seen the 32" version in person? the 5 footer was very detailed but concidering the size of the 32" it was way more detailed, I was blown away when I saw it in person here at a SW model exhibiton in Montreal, I have the MR version luckily with a very good paintjob it has way more panelling/colors than the 5 footer which is impressive mostly because of its size.

If you've seen both of the studio models in person & have your preference that is fantastic,....& if you'd prefer to paint your kits in that style,....again that is your preference

BUT....the truth in the matter is that the digital asset used in the new film is based on the 5 footer......there are tweaks & slight alterations,....but so far there is no evidence of elements of the 32"

The images seen in the Teasers & Trailer show that the Falcon has the same panel colour arrangement as the 5 footer,.....we'll have to wait & see if they perhaps added more variety in shades & colours to the grey panels,.....(using inspiration of the 32").....but I honestly don't think they would have

The 32' Falcon is a beautiful model,...I haven't seen it or the 5 footer in person,...but it is a stunt model,...made to resemble the 5 footer...painted, splattered, drawn on & signed by crew ...& now that the original 5 Foot model has been digitised, the CG asset can do her own stunts

J

Ok.....observations

The bandai kit looks brilliant......just like the 5 foot model,.....but there are some differences,.....the pipes & greeblies on the sidewalls are mirrored from starboard to portside.....we'll have to wait to see what the CG asset looks like,...hopefully we will see some nice renderings soon......I want a poster!!!

Dedalus5550 posted a concern over on the Bandai release schedule a couple of weeks ago: #645,....he said that the openings beside the ESB gears looked the wrong shape,....I defended the shape that Bandai have made,....suggesting to him that perhaps he was mixing up the shape between the 5 footer & 32"

It is the same shape as the 5 footer,....but is in a different position,....as is the CG Asset:

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-20%20at%2011.00.02_zpsn2ak4cho.png

FalconUnderside_zpsb9392abe.jpg

The Bandai hull:
IMG_3112_zpsdeolvp0k.jpg

.....& the ESB hull:
Gear%20Boxes_zpsknrttqm6.jpg

.....& Where the ESB opening should be on the 5 footer...(NOTE: The opening on the Bandai matches the new TFA Falcon.....so don't be panicking!!!)
Old%20opening_zpsszubv8lj.jpg

So if any one wants to modify the new Bandai Falcon to how she appeared in ESB,....you know what to do;)

.....but what if you want to do her the way she appeared in Star Wars (ANH)....well heres where the opening was,....overlayed graphics to show the ESB mod:
ESB%20Boxes_zpsk0wubqqa.jpg

Now....another thing I noticed on the underside is the shape of the armour plates either side of the engine flaps:
plates_zpswr0eeuem.jpg

I never noticed this detail before,....but it is definitely only on the starboard side of the Falcon in Star Wars right up to the exhibit model now:
10013355_659236764188545_5474607987400772746_n_zps29ijqnx5.jpg

5ft%20ANH%20Bottom%20View_zpsw4dfnhby.jpg

06_zpsawq5ds0m.jpg

ANH%20Portside_zpsawwlig1e.jpg

sw_mos_mf_0022_zpsuwdz9mvz.jpg

.....but how accurate is Bandai?....having this detail symmetrical on the model,....will it be like that on the CG TFA Falcon,.....I can't find any clear grabs....

This is the best I can find...(I brightened up the greeblies.....it would be interesting to see if they are mirrored on the other side):
Greeblies_zpsdsgzz2jw.jpg

It's a bit blurry....but it looks like Bandai have it right:
TFA%20Falcon%20Back%20end_zpss1vusyyn.jpg

TFA%20Falcon%20side_zpsmrrtl3oq.jpg

So what about the MPC kit......how come I never noticed this before?
Bandi:
IMG_3114_zpsropyr08q.jpg

IMG_3113_zpsqat6s1gz.jpg

MPC:
IMG_3115_zpsr6zulihn.jpg

& Fine Molds (32' builders never carried this detail on either)
IMG_3116_zpsd4uvtc7h.jpg

So going back to if we want to mod this model to be the OT Falcon,....the portside armour needs filling out to match the armour next to it

J

One other question. Does the digital model have the landing lights like the full scale set piece?

Or are we gonna have an ESB falcon situation here

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I'm sitting in front of the screen reading the latest posts with my jaws dropped.
Jaitea : Please continue with your findings, especially when new information gets available (the Blu-Ray of the movie ;) ).

This thread should become "stuck" because it contains such invaluable information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone see the new Revell Snaptite Max 1:72 TFA Falcon? Just from pics it looks like prettty thick sidewalls. Just curious to know if anyone had it, or seen it yet.

OK,....I know I shouldn't be touching this kit till there are better reference pics,....but I started trimming pipes (like others),....thinning the window frames (even though I might use the glass version)

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-08%20at%2022.20.17_zpsghsa3cpy.png

I also filed the smooth part under the front 4 windows to make that hexagonal effect
Screen%20Shot%202015-11-08%20at%2022.19.55_zpscx8b1umi.png

I'm not sure if the details in the centre of the cockpit tube are too high:
Screen%20Shot%202015-11-08%20at%2022.21.50_zpsnlgqd5q2.png

Pipes thinned:
Screen%20Shot%202015-11-08%20at%2022.21.07_zps5dwgkmno.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-08%20at%2022.21.30_zpsbh0wtkcv.png

Docking rings:
Screen%20Shot%202015-11-08%20at%2022.22.22_zpszontpdpg.png

The Bandai & its closest relation,.....a mod I'd started on another MPC,...then changed my mind & started on the FM72,....after seeing Hunk a Junks
IMG_3131_zpsog2jqh0w.jpg

J

Looking great!

It seems like there are still a few little tweeks to be done. And I hope someone does some photo etch grills!

I'm not sure if the details in the centre of the cockpit tube are too high:
http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums...n Shot 2015-11-08 at 22.21.50_zpsnlgqd5q2.png

J

Definitely looks that way to me, J. That's the one detail that stood out to me immediately when I saw the first promo build-up shots. Unfortunately, it's hard to imagine a fix that doesn't involve completely scraping away the detail, bringing the surface flush and then scratch building new details. I think cutting away the center section to lower it would likely damage the hull plating on the cockpit arm tunnel.

If you've seen both of the studio models in person & have your preference that is fantastic,....& if you'd prefer to paint your kits in that style,....again that is your preference

BUT....the truth in the matter is that the digital asset used in the new film is based on the 5 footer......there are tweaks & slight alterations,....but so far there is no evidence of elements of the 32"

The images seen in the Teasers & Trailer show that the Falcon has the same panel colour arrangement as the 5 footer,.....we'll have to wait & see if they perhaps added more variety in shades & colours to the grey panels,.....(using inspiration of the 32").....but I honestly don't think they would have

The 32' Falcon is a beautiful model,...I haven't seen it or the 5 footer in person,...but it is a stunt model,...made to resemble the 5 footer...painted, splattered, drawn on & signed by crew ...& now that the original 5 Foot model has been digitised, the CG asset can do her own stunts

J

I like both models each have their unique features but trust me the ESB 32" is not a stunt model, its super highly detailed, well assembled with a amazing paint and weathering job, I was only a few inches away and stared at it for quite a while, to be honest I have no idea what they used for the CGI version as I only collect original trilogy models.

GFollano

I like both models each have their unique features but trust me the ESB 32" is not a stunt model, its super highly detailed, well assembled with a amazing paint and weathering job, I was only a few inches away and stared at it for quite a while, to be honest I have no idea what they used for the CGI version as I only collect original trilogy models.

GFollano
I've also seen the 32" model. The paint is brilliant. In all honesty, it's probably a much more complicated paint job than the 5 footer. The five footer looks a lot more broken down. Tons of dremel damage. But (from the photos I've seen) it uses a much more basic colour palette

I've also seen the 32" model. The paint is brilliant. In all honesty, it's probably a much more complicated paint job than the 5 footer. The five footer looks a lot more broken down. Tons of dremel damage. But (from the photos I've seen) it uses a much more basic colour palette

Glad you agree with me :thumbsup

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back