Deadpool Costume Build (movie version)

I had very little motivation today to do much. I did manage to start making the framework for the back of the hand armor and leg armor. I didn't want to open another package of the orthoglass (it tends to harden just being exposed to the humidity) so I still have to do the back of my left leg. I think tomorrow I may try do that tomorrow and add some details to it and wrap it in leather at some point.

Attachments

• 20150815_224357_resized.jpg
    20150815_224357_resized.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 126
I noticed that testeagle's suit's neck is different from the movie suit. Did you notice?
This is true. But considering the alternatives, this beats those Chinese knock-offs, hands down. The overall quality of the suit is very impressive. It doesn't feel cheap at all. The seams are strong and well sewn. It has the appearance of a motorcycle suit, which I'm assuming if you're trying to get someone to build something that they know nothing about, the easiest way to find that middle ground is to start with what they know, and go from there. I'm referring to the manufacturer, not TestEagle.

Currently I'm working with a friend that is a seamstress and theater/prop guru, and we are making minor adjustments here and there. I know it's been a while since I've updated. I'll be working on the gloves and shin guards this weekend. Hopefully make some progress!

Also, from my research, The zipper for the movie costume is in the back, not the front. Then the neck of the suit has 2 zippers that go from the neck to the shoulder. I'm not going to be doing that great of alterations. But I have some ideas.

Well, seems as though progress is at a halt, as far as mold making and casting, until my clay comes in the mail. Also, I couldn't fix the backshell for the gloves because I'm waiting on a dremel tool as well. Trust me, it isn't lack of trying!

I still have about 1 month to wrap up these finishing touches. I'll post more once my supplies arrive.

I'm starting to think Kydex on the shin protectors or leather. Amazon has some red Kevlar pattern stuff I might try. It's $12 a sheet.

I'm starting to think Kydex on the shin protectors or leather. Amazon has some red Kevlar pattern stuff I might try. It's $12 a sheet.
That's a great idea. It's sold out on Amazon though, but a quick Google search turned up a lot of alternative retailers. The Kydex looks simple enough to mold, you just need a wooden box, some padding, clamps, and an oven. But to mold it to your leg, you'll have to manufacture something to simulate your leg so you can form it...otherwise BURN! But chicks dig scars right? And you'll have wicked scarring and be more Deadpool-like. :devil

That's a great idea. It's sold out on Amazon though, but a quick Google search turned up a lot of alternative retailers. The Kydex looks simple enough to mold, you just need a wooden box, some padding, clamps, and an oven. But to mold it to your leg, you'll have to manufacture something to simulate your leg so you can form it...otherwise BURN! But chicks dig scars right? And you'll have wicked scarring and be more Deadpool-like. :devil

Well, Deadpool looks like a big scar so you would be going the right direction. I think I can use my snowboarding socks and be ok. The stuff I was looking at was 225 degrees for forming.

Well, Deadpool looks like a big scar so you would be going the right direction. I think I can use my snowboarding socks and be ok. The stuff I was looking at was 225 degrees for forming.
225 doesn't seem too awful. My eva foam just came in today, I may do a foam set up for now. I'm stuck overseas in a horribly under developed country, so my options are limited. Oh how I miss Lowe's and Home Depot; hell even Walmart would be awesome right about now!

So I got some clay in the mail today. I think I may try to make the glove back shells out of resin. Last night I made half of the mold for the back scabbard, in case I screw something up on the 3D printed one, I'll at least have a spare.

Stuff is finally starting to trickle in for the suit! Today I received my metal belt buckle and plastic(?) back scabbard from ShapeWays. Not bad construction. I'm concerned about the stability of the back scabbard. I'm considering casting it so if it breaks I can make more. Now I have to learn how to cast stuff. Oh well, it's a skill I've always wanted anyway. Pictures below. Oh, and the suit is still in transit. Last night it was in NC, so hopefully it'll be delivered today.

I went nylon for my belt buckle. You'll have to let me know how it is.

How would you approach making the epaulettes?
I know what an epaulette is, but I'm not sure what you are referring to on the costume. Shoulder pads? On this suit there's some foam under the black leather. Haven't thought much more about it. What are your thoughts?

I went nylon for my belt buckle. You'll have to let me know how it is.
The metal buckle is pretty awesome. It's heavy and seems durable considering the weight of the belt and pouches.

So this was my first attempt at making a mold of something. It was both a success and a failure. I'm going to try to pour the resin this weekend and see what happens. This entire adventure is a learning process and I'm loving every minute of it. I have no access to foam board, so I had to use cardboard. I think the next time I'm just going to get some wood, and some clamps and try it like that. This was just too much of a pain. The first half set very good. The clay was oil based, came off easily and nothing stuck to the silicone or the scabbard I'm attempting to cast. Unfortunately, when it came to doing the second half, I sprayed it with release but I don't think it was completely dry and I didn't do a second coat of the release. I think that's what killed me. Also, when it came to remake the walls, they weren't tight up against the edges, so some silicone spilled over, but I should have still been able to pull it apart from the middle. But nope. It was stuck stuck stuck. So I had to cut it about halfway down the mold to get the scabbard out. We'll see if I can still get it to work. Pics below.

Attachments

• 20150901_214059_resized.jpg
    20150901_214059_resized.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 20150902_215952_resized.jpg
    20150902_215952_resized.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 20150903_185502_resized.jpg
    20150903_185502_resized.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 106
  • 20150903_185512_resized.jpg
    20150903_185512_resized.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 135
Looks like it came out ok. 2 part molds are tricky evem for someone experienced. Only thing i would have suggested is adding keys

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I know what an epaulette is, but I'm not sure what you are referring to on the costume. Shoulder pads? On this suit there's some foam under the black leather. Haven't thought much more about it. What are your thoughts?

The metal buckle is pretty awesome. It's heavy and seems durable considering the weight of the belt and pouches.

Sorry, I should have mentioned shoulder pads. I suppose I could heat gun an eva foam block to shape the shoulder pads. then glue them to the black leather or pvc fabric. However, I do not know of the effects of superglue bonding leather and eva foam. Should I use some form of sealant before I do this?

Last edited:
Looks like it came out ok. 2 part molds are tricky evem for someone experienced. Only thing i would have suggested is adding keys
I did make registration keys :(

Sorry, I should have mentioned shoulder pads. I suppose I could heat gun an eva foam block to shape the shoulder pads. then glue them to the black leather or pvc fabric. However, I do not know of the effects of superglue bonding leather and eva foam. Should I use some form of sealant before I do this?
There was a guy on here doing a Starlord costume that put foam pieces into a leather jacket. I can't remember exactly what he used for adhesive. I want to say superglue. I have some superglue that says it's good for leather. So it might be alright? But that was going to be my plan when I make my next suit from scratch.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back