Scrap-built spaceship

I might have gone a different way in that different size parts seem to speak of different scales--but then too--you are building something.

I collect a lot of parts--and I sit there and stare at the parts collection, then wish I had a larger structure worthy of each greeble!

This round thing can only be an engine, that is only an antenna, etc.

inward sides

eeh, pulling my leg here?
But thx for the motivating comments!
publiusr; thats excactly the challenge.
When adding a shape i hope the configuration together with other parts give it the right scale.
If not convincing, i'll add detail.
Still, building with found scrap needs more stretching of imagination to see a believeble spaceship.
Just trying to keep it consistent.

Lighting on long narrow and flat shapes? Fiberoptics are cool.:cool
f_3276.JPG
knittng needles, cdrom cover, diskette.

Two constructive pegs are finally doing their job and make a solid parallel connection for the cantilvered antennas.
Under it a small tin lighthouse for the optics.
IMG_0822.JPG

Filled in with tubes, wires and a chewed up pen.
These inward areas are not so prominent, so i like to go mad on the detail here.
IMG_1035.JPG
It is all quite hard to reach so i leave it for now and move on to the underside. I'll add more details later.

pre- antennas:
PV_3274.jpg

With antennas.
PV_3275.JPG

That was fun.
Next up is the last uncultivated area, the whole underside..

Last edited by a moderator:
This thing is just epic! However (and this is just me, please take no offence ^^) I don't really like the keys used on the thruster housing... I just seems out of scale with all the other greeblies... but again, that's just me! Otherwise, it looks amazing! The FO really set it off nicely!

It takes shape progressively. I like it a lot.
I'm still looking for the cockpit... :confused

This thing is just epic! However (and this is just me, please take no offence ^^) I don't really like the keys used on the thruster housing... I just seems out of scale with all the other greeblies... but again, that's just me! Otherwise, it looks amazing! The FO really set it off nicely!

I'm really not an expert but I think that painting might change the slightest bit the look of the ship, especially about this peculiar part. mightn't it ?

Last edited:
Maybe a primer would give it a more realistic view. So many parts and colours make it look like a scratch-built model !
I'm pretty sure a bit of painting would make it a spaceship !

just seems out of scale with all the other greeblies...
Thanks, i know what you mean. I just wanted a lot of keys there, and something greeblie in the front. Its the result just going along.

Maybe a mesh over the keys to break it up a bit.
Well put. Curious what you mean with "mesh" here?

So many parts and colours make it look like a scratch-built model !
I actually set out to build a scratchbuiltmodel.
Inspired by this forum it just got out of hand. It could almost pass as a model now, and im considering your suggestions.

Thanks for the comments guys. Meanwhile still rifling through my scrappies.

I actually set out to build a scratchbuiltmodel.

Indeed !
I just wanted to make mates waiting a bit to permit you to take time to finalise your art. Maybe my English Language was a bit disappointing. Excuse me if it was the way you understood it Wouldchop :$

Underside

Near the end of building, i started thinking about how to finalize.
Looking at it leaning back, i admit it could use something like paint to tie it all more together. Maybe wash, brush and a lot of minute weathering or something, so my composition of grey materials doesnt get lost. But then i would deviate from my original plan, a straight up scrap-build ship.
I now decided to go build another smaller (mockup) version, with the same kind of materials and experiment on that. I could make it like a sideship, and not miss out on the fun of primering keys and weathering, then see what to apply on the big one.
Now my mind is eased with this excuse i will first finish building with the last pieces of my scrap collection.

Last weeks i focused on finishing the bottom construction. The last area where the ship was still open.
closing gaps and handeling the last loose fibres.
IMG_1095.jpg

Ok, a few more fibres on the coffee and needle thing. The cola crate handle, tap insert and printer stuff are ready..
IMG_1097.jpg

..and in place.
I left the three bolts of the arm accessible to this point, in case it would need more tuning. Im glad i did, now i'm confident about it staying aligned.
IMG_3309.jpg

All build in.
IMG_3312.jpg

Quick lights test. Hard to fotograph but no light leaks. :thumbsup
IMG_3313.jpg

Completely closed and space worthy. Oyeah.
IMG_3316.jpg

The total shape of the ship is finished!
The only thing i want to do now is mending and patching up all areas once more, with a handfull of small greeblies.
Then figure out a way to properly fotograph it. There are so many angles on this thing. :)

He has said many times that he does not intend to paint it. I dont know how he can resist though, painting is my favorite part!

Brilliant work!....I love scratch building and your work is excellent. I think you must paint it, doing so changes the whole dynamic of the ship.

This Beast is getting better and more awesome with every update!! I love it!
I'm also pro paint! But I don't want to imagine someone masking all these lights before painting :eek
An alternative could be to - wherever you install this thing - to light it with colored light, which reduces the perception of the more bright& colorful parts on the ship...like red.
(I could not resist to try this in Photoshop :rolleyes )
RedLightOnScrapBuiltSpaceship.jpg

MORE, MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE, AND MORE PLEASE !!
If you buy me a ticket to Amsterdam ill paint it for ya !!!!!!!
Please post more, this build takes me back to being a kid sooo much, no critical detailing nightmares, just free form fun with no agenda. I totally love it as it encapsulates all I find amazing about space/fantasy modelling.. Pease post more dude. we love it..

If Daft Punk had a space ship, this would be it, ;) Very original !

PS. That keyboard is gonna give somebody severe carpal tunnel, LoL .

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back