Rogue One - Jyn Erso BlasTech A180 Blaster Pistol

Just... this old thing...

;)

More pics once I have a chance to play with it a bit more.

rogue-one-jyn-erso-a180-blaster-pistol-first-test-fitting.jpg

Slightly better shots. I just used some glue-dots to hold the pieces in place (not ready to tap holes into the gun body until I am SURE I am happy with the parts.

rogue-one-jyn-erso-a180-blaster-pistol-first-test-fitting-2.jpg

Found a lot of very small adjustments that need to be made. Working on those now. One of the biggest unresolved issues is some type of conflict that I can't quite figure out regarding the overall sizing. For the most part, this thing fits like a glove (as it should). Everything is tight and everything just bares works where it should be... again, a good thing... but I can't help but feel like overall, I have sized this just a hair small. It is frustrating me, but I don't quite have an answer and am afraid to go randomly monkeying with the sizing in case I am wrong.

Overall, pretty darn pleased.

Two notes: 1) I did have to drill out the rifle connector where it is supposed to be supported by the take-down-switch. Not sure what happened there, but I had that part completely wrong.

2) I can't help but feel my 1mm thick barrel (with a 1 mm inset slid into it) is somehow too thin... but i can't quite resolve it.

While I wouldn't read too much into it as the Battlefront pistol has been stretched in some odd ways, here is a shot of my pistol compared to that one.
rogue-one-jyn-erso-a180-blaster-pistol-first-test-fitting-battlefront.jpg

I am going to spend the rest of the week messing around with this and then reprint most of the parts one more time before looking into having them machined.

While I wouldn't read too much into it as the Battlefront pistol has been stretched in some odd ways, here is a shot of my pistol compared to that one.
View attachment 759981

I am going to spend the rest of the week messing around with this and then reprint most of the parts one more time before looking into having them machined.
I love when people show the prop they built versus a direct reference. It's too easy to post something and say "look how accurate it is" when it's not compared to any reference at the same time.

Now I don't really know this blaster (but I sure dig it), and I read what you said about not taking the Battlefront model too much for reference, but if it can help here's what I can observe between yours and it:
rogue-10.jpg

The section A appears a bit too long to me, and the B a bit too narrow. I feel like you could extend that ring a touch towards the trigger.
The angle C could really be improved. it should be more vertical.
The D pill-shaped cut is slightly too long but more importantly too narrow.
The bottom of the plate E could descend a touch more, giving you more space to make that pill wider.
The grooves F need to be larger. Between the Luger part and the barrel ring, I count more grooves on your blaster than the Battlefront one. Widening those grooves should also deal with that issue.
And I feel like the vent holes G could be slightly larger too.

But honestly the apple clearly didn't fall far from the tree, and it's already looking really good. I loved reading all your posts, and I'm quite looking forward for when you'll have the machinedparts

I love when people show the prop they built versus a direct reference. It's too easy to post something and say "look how accurate it is" when it's not compared to any reference at the same time.

Now I don't really know this blaster (but I sure dig it), and I read what you said about not taking the Battlefront model too much for reference, but if it can help here's what I can observe between yours and it:
https://i11.servimg.com/u/f11/12/31/04/96/rogue-10.jpg
The section A appears a bit too long to me, and the B a bit too narrow. I feel like you could extend that ring a touch towards the trigger.
The bottom of the plate E could descend a touch more, giving you more space to make that pill wider.
The grooves F need to be larger. Between the Luger part and the barrel ring, I count more grooves on your blaster than the Battlefront one. Widening those grooves should also deal with that issue.

But honestly the apple clearly didn't fall far from the tree, and it's already looking really good. I loved reading all your posts, and I'm quite looking forward for when you'll have the machinedparts

You are aware, that you´re pointing out differences to the BF in-game model? The details on these vary quite often in comparsion of the actual screenused version of a blaster.

https://i11.servimg.com/u/f11/12/31/04/96/rogue-10.jpg

Wow! I am impressed! While not to the letter, I made changes in every one of those areas that you pointed out except G (I'll have to go back and look at that one at the end of this post).

Here is one of the main images I am using as reference. As you can see, there is definitely some differences between the original gun and the Battlefront gun.
rogue-one-jyn-erso-a180-blaster-pistol-reference.jpg

Just to address your concerns directly -

A is too long compared to the Battlefront gun, but I don't feel like it is compared to the original. With that being said, I did adjust that area slightly, but moreso with regard to the grooves.

B was indeed a bit too narrow, but not as much as the Battlefront model might make you think.
C-E... this is an area where the Battlefield model is just wrong. It seems that the artist messed with the entire rifle connector and that angle suffered more than anything. With that being said, the rifle connector is where my replica suffers the most... and I have finally figured out why.... and this pains me to admit, but here goes. There is something off with my entire replica, and I believe it has to do with the barrel alignment. My replica aligns the barrel so the real barrel of the P08 is perfectly aligned with the replica shroud around it. The size of the barrel is constrained by the width of the P08, as the Receiver Mount wraps over the barrel and connects to either side of the receiver... this pretty much dictates how big the barrel can be. However... it seems like Jyn's barrel is somehow 1-2mm off center vertically and sits LOWER than one would expect. Obviously, because her barrel is lower on the gun, it pushes the rifle connector lower. I am not willing to move my barrel off-center so I have spent a lot of time reworking the rifle connector (your points C-E) to compensate as best I can. It is an area I admit is knowingly off, but because I want the gun to function, I am accepting this inaccuracy as necessary.

F - Believe it or not, the grooves actually needed to be SLIGHTLY smaller and deeper. However... this is an area where the 3D printing seemed to have problems and I agree on the 3D print, the grooves do appear too small, but they aren't in the original model. I am hoping this is something that is more obvious when this piece is made in metal. On the Battlefront pistol there are 10 rings showing. On the original blaster (and my model there are 12, with a 13th hidden under the barrel ring, that tends to peek out in some photos when the barrel ring moves.

G - In looking at G, my holes are 5mm. I tried 5.5 and 6 and neither seem right to me. I suppose it could be some in-between number, but I think I am sticking with 5mm for now.

LOOKS FANTASTIC ART!

Some cross reference from my build so far. I'm lining these up directly with a very closely scaled reference image.

A. On my drawing i have A = 1" from start of first groove to start of last groove.

As for G I think your pretty close there. On my version I have the holes pretty close to 5mm also and it matches my reference very close. The battlefront is way off from the film used in most of the other letters. So agree dont read much into those.

I found the same thing about the barrel being a bit lower. Here is a shot from my version. You can see i have the barrel slightly lower. And your right it does make the thing much trickier to make heh. I'll post some more pics from my build here in the next couple weeks. I'm still in the middle of moving my shop.

barrel.jpg

Art, your photos are always super beautiful! it's really nice looking at prop photos of this quality. Scottjua being another guy that does amazing prop and amazing photos. Thanks guys for sharing :thumbsup

s2jesse, here is my measurement... about 2.1mm off yours. While I wouldn't call that insignificant, it is nice to see that they are lining up relatively closely.

jyn-erso-rogue-one-a180-blaster-pistol-measurements.JPG

I can't tell you how glad I am not the only one seeing that barrel alignment issue!!! How are you planning to overcome it? I don't have a good answer because these are the choices I see:

1) Align the replica barrel to the P08 barrel, which means the replica barrel sits a bit high, which also throws off the rifle connector.
2) Slide the barrel down so the replica barrel sits lower than the P089 barrel and then the barrel tip just looks weird.
3) Angle the barrel slightly with the front being lower than the back.

Any thoughts or insight on this would be appreciated.

LOOKS FANTASTIC ART!

Some cross reference from my build so far. I'm lining these up directly with a very closely scaled reference image.

A. On my drawing i have A = 1" from start of first groove to start of last groove.

As for G I think your pretty close there. On my version I have the holes pretty close to 5mm also and it matches my reference very close. The battlefront is way off from the film used in most of the other letters. So agree dont read much into those.

I found the same thing about the barrel being a bit lower. Here is a shot from my version. You can see i have the barrel slightly lower. And your right it does make the thing much trickier to make heh. I'll post some more pics from my build here in the next couple weeks. I'm still in the middle of moving my shop.

View attachment 760044

Last edited:
Art, not sure what you mean exactly about the tip. I plan to have the barrel down slightly. The way I'm planning it i don't think anything will actually be touching the p08 barrel. Everything will float around it. I have a bit more to go before im sure that works tho.

Jesse

@s2jesse, here is my measurement... about 2.1mm off yours. While I wouldn't call that insignificant, it is nice to see that they are lining up relatively closely.

View attachment 760049

I can't tell you how glad I am not the only one seeing that barrel alignment issue!!! How are you planning to overcome it? I don't have a good answer because these are the choices I see:

1) Align the replica barrel to the P08 barrel, which means the replica barrel sits a bit high, which also throws off the rifle connector.
2) Slide the barrel down so the replica barrel sits lower than the P089 barrel and then the barrel tip just looks weird.
3) Angle the barrel slightly with the front being lower than the back.

Any thoughts or insight on this would be appreciated.

Jesse, you could definitely make it float with all the pressure being on the receiver mounts and the rifle connector/take-down lever. For mine, I wanted a connection at the end of the barrel as well so I created the tip of the A180 barrel to slip over the end of the P08 barrel and for the P08 barrel to be able to slide within the tip when the airsoft gun fires/resets.

My concern with angling the A180 barrel down is how to make that work with the firing mechanism... but they must have somehow achieved it for the movie.

As always, I am open to suggestion.

jyn-erso-rogue-one-a180-blaster-pistol-tip.jpg

Art, not sure what you mean exactly about the tip. I plan to have the barrel down slightly. The way I'm planning it i don't think anything will actually be touching the p08 barrel. Everything will float around it. I have a bit more to go before im sure that works tho. The notch in the top of the tip works with the notch in the P08 barrel where the front sight used to be.

Jesse

Here is one of the main images I am using as reference. As you can see, there is definitely some differences between the original gun and the Battlefront gun.
View attachment 760032
What a wonderful, almost orthographic shot of the blaster. It's a dream for any 3D modeler! And yes, I definitely agree that there are small but obvious differences from the Battlefront blaster.
I feel your pain about barrel misalignment. Just like the reverted scopes, it seems like it's getting a thing with SW props lately as I had the exact same issue with the F-11D. Now I won't pretend to have an answer about how to deal with it, but I wouldn't recommand angling your barrel with the front being lower than the back. Even if it's very slight it will show and throw things off.

My version is kinda designed around the barrel anchoring to the main body area. The gun should still function there. Very tight tolerences tho.
I really hope to get to it here i a few days
Jesse

Jesse, you could definitely make it float with all the pressure being on the receiver mounts and the rifle connector/take-down lever. For mine, I wanted a connection at the end of the barrel as well so I created the tip of the A180 barrel to slip over the end of the P08 barrel and for the P08 barrel to be able to slide within the tip when the airsoft gun fires/resets.

My concern with angling the A180 barrel down is how to make that work with the firing mechanism... but they must have somehow achieved it for the movie.

View attachment 760087

We see the toggle moving while she's firing the pistol in BTS shots.

That doesn't necessarily mean that it was still able to shoot BB's.

Perhaps they cut the barrel off 1/2 way down it's length and put their own barrel part around it.
Wouldn't that solve the issue of things lining up properly, if I understand your concern correctly?

Absolutely correct.

I suppose you could simply go with the shorter version of the pistol as well and achieve the same result. I am probably just being unnecessarily picky about the barrel lining up and about using the P08 barrel to support the end of the A180 barrel. As s2jesse said, you definitely don't NEED to have the original barrel support the outer barrel and can rely on the support points at the receiver and rifle connector to do that. I'll just have to think about it a bit this weekend and try to decide what I want to do. I still HATE the idea of the barrels being misaligned.

We see the toggle moving while she's firing the pistol in BTS shots.

That doesn't necessarily mean that it was still able to shoot BB's.

Perhaps they cut the barrel off 1/2 way down it's length and put their own barrel part around it.
Wouldn't that solve the issue of things lining up properly, if I understand your concern correctly?

Last edited:
Often times the easiest solution is the best:)
Certainly something for you to think about..

I wouldn't suggest using the P08 as it has the wrong shape at the rear of the pistol.
You've done some great work so far.

Often times the easiest solution is the best:)
Certainly something for you to think about..

I wouldn't suggest using the P08 as it has the wrong shape at the rear of the pistol.
You've done some great work so far.

They ground down the back of the pistol, presumably so they could get the rifle stock to slide on and off. The WE P08 is definitely the pistol used in the movie.

Should have clarified the terminology I am using:

P08 for Pistol of 1908 = 4" barrel
Navy = 6" barrel, used for this blaster
Artillery = 8" barrel

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back