Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I don't know. I'm not an expert by any means, but the bit you brought up about the lighting makes sense

maybe the idea that they were painted more "garishly" comes from idea of how "stage make-up" is applied to combat the bright lights washing out the skin tones etc...

Last edited:

The extent of a paint job being "overdone" or underdone may also depend on what model we're talking about. Like I said, the 5-footer in real life, to me, looked more uniformly white that what it appears on screen. Of course, the display lighting conditions were also less about creating drama than lighting it up to make sure everyone gets a good look. A light raking across a textured surface will make that surface look a lot different than when a light is hitting it at a 90-degree angle.

I don't seem to be able to find a post that shows every sprue and piece in the box. Like most unboxing videos, there seems to be things the presenter just glosses over and omits from the finished video. I realize that the quality of YouTube videos vary greatly from professional to uselessly crappy, but it doesn't take a genius to just focus on a sprue and hold on it for a second and then put another one in the focal plane and shoot some more footage. So many un-boxings are done when the recipient is still in the throes of excitement of receiving the product, and they are giddily panning and tilting their camera all over the place (along with subpar audio) without any real thought to the eventual viewer.

I'm sure that, as we see more and more of the kits shipped, we will have some decent reviews and un-boxings that will tell the rest of us exactly what to expect when we, in the fullness of time take delivery of our own kit!

Is there a specific thread where this conversation took place? I haven't run across it, but with the kit's impending arrival I want to hear both sides as I decide which approach I'm taking.

I just took a quick look around, but can't remember now where I saw it. There was back and forth on the issue of preshading and it came down to, no, the 5-footer didn't have it (with photos for proof) or any washes to highlight depth, but what route you choose to go is up to you. Hunk of Junk put it pretty well on page 47 of this thread.

The assembly of greeblies on the other mandible.

P2030423rs.jpg

This is one of the areas where the difference between the 5 foot model and the 32 inch model are prominent, so it might be interesting to compare if you have a Deagostini or a FineMolds model.

I just took a quick look around, but can't remember now where I saw it. There was back and forth on the issue of preshading and it came down to, no, the 5-footer didn't have it (with photos for proof) or any washes to highlight depth, but what route you choose to go is up to you. Hunk of Junk put it pretty well on page 47 of this thread.

Thanks for trying to track it down - I'm sure there will be more discussion as people start building and the comments made in this thread have been really helpful already.

I was just on FB creeping around one of the Star Wars Bandai pages and Colin Cantwell popped in! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was it the panel line discussion in this thread?
Started around page 34

Theres also this -
https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=278253

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think how you paint it largely comes down to what you are trying to accomplish. Are you trying to replicate the original model, replicate what we saw on screen, or create your own interpretation? There are multiple factors that make what we saw on screen look different than the actual model. Lighting, compositing, color correction, etc. Even if trying to replicate the original model, the differences in scale possibly should be taken into account. Some people feel the colors should be more muted on a smaller scale.

I plan on painting it using the original model and screenshots (including shots of the full size set) as reference, but be open to doing things like weathering a little different if I think it will look better when looked at up close. I don't want to replicate features that don't look right to me just because it was originally done that way. I don't see any issues with using subtle shading and weathering to bring out more detail and to look more like typical weathering done on a tank or ship, just don't go overboard with exagerated dark lines where it doesn't make sense.

It's your model, feel free to make it how you think looks good.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Another not-so-good unboxing. If the guy had really wanted to do an un-boxing, he would have organized it better, and not forced us to listen to his conjecture about what he thought he was seeing, plus he repeated himself several times. The worst thing was he didn't show every sprue in the kit. I want to see everything that's in the box! Not what the guy is interested in seeing in the box. Oh, well, maybe someone else will do a proper un-boxing soon.

Another not-so-good unboxing. If the guy had really wanted to do an un-boxing, he would have organized it better, and not forced us to listen to his conjecture about what he thought he was seeing, plus he repeated himself several times. The worst thing was he didn't show every sprue in the kit. I want to see everything that's in the box! Not what the guy is interested in seeing in the box. Oh, well, maybe someone else will do a proper un-boxing soon.

You can see more detail in the pics on this blog than any video you could ever see on YouTube.

http://wivern.exblog.jp/27092610/

SB

Awesome link, thanks! Best parts photos I've seen yet. I'm amazed at how you guys are able to search for these Japanese sites. I'd been thinking -- if the Bandai team studied the 5-footer in its current condition, how did they get the panels right for those that are now covered by the front landing gear boxes?

Beacuse they not only studied the actual 5-footer, they had access to hi-res photographs of the 70s when it was just finished, and had the info about the kits used.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back