Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

And some of those folks are in charge of new movies.
View attachment 756224

What ILM are doing now with the Falcon is very respectful to the OT,...we are very lucky that they haven't totally gone the wrong direction with The Falcon,.....the only head scratcher that got me was the rotating turrets & upside down quad guns

They have included logic to the lights on the ship,....lights that were introduced in the OT,....the down lighters on the lower hull....that come on when she has landed.....the added red running lights when you see her in space,...but not garishly bright,.....they are very subtle

The spot light in the image above was used for a purpose,...for Chewie to pinpoint Rey & Finn through the forest,....once that task was completed off it went......the same as the headlights that were switched on as the Falcon entered the asteroid cave/slug in ESB,....Han was flying inside something,...& needed to see where he was going,....Lando did exactly the same in ROTJ,...the headlights came on as the ship flew into the Death Star II tunnel,..

This is the way the Falcon was & is portrayed regarding lights

What I'm getting at is the current misunderstanding of that logic by some model makers,....99% of completed DeAgo Falcon models show her with blinding blue LED headlights,....& it doesn't stop there,...to some the more lights the better,....flashing,....the Falcon looks more like the Mother ship from CE3K

These models are modded to the model builders tastes,...so they can do what they want....but it is like a virus,....once one has been modded to the max,...then another pops up with more, distancing its representation further & further from the studio models or the fictional craft from the films

J

There are supplied black stickers for blocking light leaks, apparently around the engine area. Dunno about the cockpit.

I'm curious to see builds straight from the box to see what the light bleed will be like (if any).

Well that is my plan (to build it straight from the box) as I don't have experience with modding. What I would like to know, how hard is to make modifications after it's assembled?
The same question comes up when I'm thinking of painting stuff. Do I have to plan everything to the finest detail?

k04q74Nh.jpg

This picture seems to imply you can have either the pre-built light kit or the lower gunner turret interior but not both (not without major surgery)

Personally I don't mind if i don't have the lower turret interior. I've never once looked inside the bottom of my Deagostini turret.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

It's not a deal breaker for me, but I'm betting a few people here will dig the mainboard out of the black plastic housing and re-locate it

That will certainly be my strategy. I'm a neophyte due to the sands of time model building wise, but I know electronics...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Im going to Run DC mains power for mine,Batteries are pointless as they even so they only last for 2 hours of continuous operation. That bulky black box is mostly batteries i would think. I will definatly run the lower gunner turret too as it would be a complete waste.

Also i think the display stand looks like a chopped down directors chair so that will definatly only be a short term thing aswell.

For the question of whether or not to modify it after its built,I would say it would most likely get damaged trying to add extras like pit extensions and landing gear bays. Plan out your build and do it as right as you can first time,greeblies can be added or removed later.

Lastly, I think an arduino or some other type of control board might be useful to get different light effects, ie landing,marker,headlights and even a different colour of engine light if one was so inclined. But nothing silly like shiney disco lights lol.

https://i.imgur.com/k04q74Nh.jpg

This picture seems to imply you can have either the pre-built light kit or the lower gunner turret interior but not both (not without major surgery)

No.
This is where the circuitry box ultimately goes, and it does not interfere with the gunner turret interior.
In fact, there is plenty of space between them.

IMG_8842rs.jpg

As with the filming miniature, the engine deck (the upper quarter back) opens, and this is were the circuitry box with the switches and the batteries are accessed.
And yes, I think it is a good idea to add wiring for external power supply, as well as switches.

I'm hoping someone here can help me. I'm trying to incorporate a Falcon theme into an art project I'm working on and I'm looking for a higher res version of the Allied Vans/Ejection seat decal on the Falcon cockpit. This is the largest I have. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
8c81ac2e65703b48cb460c7061b26e91.jpg

One crazy thing I'd love to see on a Falcon kit is to open up all those blast deflector plates around the exhaust. They're obviously designed to move (isn't there a McQuarrie painting that shows them open?) and it would be a really cool way to display the ship.

I've, actually already talked with the person I'm collaborating on the electronics with, inspired by that very image. More on this following...

I suppose some shall drill a hole to this piece, to insert fiber, which should be one of the easiest and cheapest mod to do, especially if you are going to omit the landing mode leaving you with 4 spare LEDs with electronics.
I would just leave it as it is....The original Falcon had no lights on her,....lights were only added in ESB for the headlight scene in the Asteroid cave/slug, & to match the full scale set piece with running lights & hull downlighters

Shes a smuggler ship, no need for fancy lights

For the 32" DeAgostini I'm gonna hide the headlights
But - lights are fun!
Maybe,...but some folks want to turn her into a christmas tree [...] What ILM are doing now with the Falcon is very respectful to the OT,...we are very lucky that they haven't totally gone the wrong direction with The Falcon [...] They have included logic to the lights on the ship,....lights that were introduced in the OT,....the down lighters on the lower hull....that come on when she has landed.....the added red running lights when you see her in space,...but not garishly bright,.....they are very subtle

Subtle is what I'm going for with mine -- subtle but sublimely cool. Thank you for summarizing the ILM lighting approach...

- The corridor has all kinds of brackets and crap used to hold up the LEDs for the backwall. If you want to model the corridor, you'll need to do some surgery.
- The backwall is lit by an interesting technique. It has two LEDs shining onto a white surface to illuminate the light bars, and the rest of the light is directed into the edge of the water-clear transparent plate. This lets the various light points illuminate.
- It also means it's quite a bummer that they chose not to use the same technique to make the sidewalls light up.
- The engine LEDs are cool white, and some of the others are neutral white.

This has helped a lot with my planning and itemizing of materials I'll need...

k04q74Nh.jpg

As did this pic...

It's not a deal breaker for me, but I'm betting a few people here will dig the mainboard out of the black plastic housing and re-locate it

As pointed out above, that's not the final placement, but I don't like the final placement either...

Im going to Run DC mains power for mine,Batteries are pointless as they even so they only last for 2 hours of continuous operation. That bulky black box is mostly batteries i would think. I will definatly run the lower gunner turret too as it would be a complete waste.

Also i think the display stand looks like a chopped down directors chair so that will definatly only be a short term thing aswell.

For the question of whether or not to modify it after its built,I would say it would most likely get damaged trying to add extras like pit extensions and landing gear bays. Plan out your build and do it as right as you can first time,greeblies can be added or removed later.

Lastly, I think an arduino or some other type of control board might be useful to get different light effects, ie landing,marker,headlights and even a different colour of engine light if one was so inclined. But nothing silly like shiney disco lights lol.

...And the last post to set up all of the thought processes behind what I'm doing. *heh*

Thanks to @Lab, I know the size constraints. I've already blown up the idealized deck plans I'm working with. And these lovely, lovely pictures y'all and others are posting online are helping me refine my approach more and more. As I'm building the ESB version, a Bespin landing platform makes good sense to me -- probably with a Bespin cloudscape backdrop. It will make a perfect base to set up an induction-charging setup through the rear landing legs. I'll see how useful the control board is and either cobble together my own using Arduino or just expand on the stock one. I won't be able to know for sure until I'm holding the ESB version in my hand.

I now know I'm going to be relocating the wiring in the cockpit corridor to the bottom of the tube, under the floor. I also now know I'm going to keep the lightpipe-illunimation of the walls themselves, but probably reworking the lightbars in the cockpit with EL sheet, meeting at the rear corners to get wired in. Since the brighter one runs EL, the shorter its life, so I am going to have to figure out how to make the entire cockpit assembly removable so those bits can be replaced as needed down the road. I'll be watching the progress of those who use magnets to hold the cockpit interior in.

I'm hoping the ESB version does as well with the headlights as the DeAgo and Bandai's non-metal-overlay pieces for their ANH cockpit corridor ring -- slats on the visible face, with a hole for the light behind.

I want to see more folks' builds of the drive section, how the LEDs look with those lightboxes. I'm already planning to replace the LEDs with brighter ones, at the very least. I'm prepared also to up the count all the way to one per grille opening, even with a diffusion layer and reflective housing. When those engines ignite, I want them to be able to "throttle up" to blinding.

I'm going to open up the openings between fan blades in the upper-rear deck backing plate, fit actual small noiseless laptop or tablet fans behind them, and the control board(s) behind that. Since my engineering section will be the only blind space in the model (at least for now), I think that'll work for now.

Most ambitious, I'm planning to replace the pushrods for the deflection plates with actual actuated pushrods. Yes, I know I'm insane. This and overall functionality is what I've been consulting with my programmer friend on. I want those, the engines, the lights, and sounds, all run through a control board that, essentially, lets me do a Han Solo Startup: Landing lights all on. Ramp closes (with sound). Power systems on sound (what Han was turning on in the cockpit on Hoth). Engines ignite. Headlights on, downlights off, reds lights dim to running configuration. Engines throttle up for takeoff... And the engines conk out with that lovely (wheep-wheep-wheep-wheep-wooooooo...) "I think we're in trouble" sound.

Building all of this won't be much of a problem. Making it all work will be more... interesting. Hopefully some of my thoughts are useful to other folks for their own builds.

--Jonah

Last edited:

So is this a limited edition that will sell out or will I be able to buy it from Bandai next year (hopefully at a less expensive price)?

I'm not familiar with Bandai kits and their availability windows.

Bandai has not announced future plans for their 1:72 Falcon.

It seems reasonable, given the amount of pre-production research and expense that went into making this kit, to conjecture that they'll release future iterations. But what such hypothetical products would look like (e.g.: ANH versus ESB designs) we don't know.

Inquisitor Peregrinus: I don't think there's a control board per se. Looks like a battery pack with four separate slide switches for controlling the output to three separate groups of LEDs. Possibly a simple current regulator.

Last edited:

So is this a limited edition that will sell out or will I be able to buy it from Bandai next year (hopefully at a less expensive price)?

I'm not familiar with Bandai kits and their availability windows.

Bandai has limited the distribution channel of this kit to their online store. It is apparent in the very minimal and black-and-white box design of this kit, that Bandai has no intention of wholeselling it to local retailers. Even in Japan, there is no sign of this kit in brick and mortar stores. Therefore, I think there is little hope for discount or price drop.

Bandai has made numerous products in the past which are limited in this way (they are often eccentric variants of existing kits), and they usually become out of stock once they sell out; except in some cases they do a second or third run.

Bandai has limited the distribution channel of this kit to their online store. It is apparent in the very minimal and black-and-white box design of this kit, that Bandai has no intention of wholeselling it to local retailers. Even in Japan, there is no sign of this kit in brick and mortar stores. Therefore, I think there is little hope for discount or price drop.

Bandai has made numerous products in the past which are limited in this way (they are often eccentric variants of existing kits), and they usually become out of stock once they sell out; except in some cases they do a second or third run.

Thank you so much for this information.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back