Sandbagger's Iron-Man builds - Now in STEEL

The gap between the leg and the cod piece at the back is too big and obvious, even with the shiny red shorts on. So, I am designing some pliable rubber trims to fix in between, that should allow movement and greatly reduce the gap.

They will be layered and wrapped in metallic red stretch fabric.

With some Iron Man inspired lines, I should be able to ad-lib a little and make it look better.

The cable and battery is being moved into the chest so I can do away with that.

sFNMfe4.jpg

3Yaw6Yc.jpg

JfWekeT.jpg

EHNzTC4.jpg

Continuing the improving of leg trims/gap fillers on the suit. Again prototyping in cardboard before wasting expensive material. So far I've only glued the pieces of foam rubber together with fabric glue. Once dry, I'll try flexing it a few times to see if it comes apart. If it does, I'll have to hand-stitch them together.

AHeXvWJ.jpg

Yy7bD8z.jpg

On the arm trims, I've replaced the fake screw patterns that were melted in with a soldering iron, with press studs from a leather kit. They hold the two layers together and look better as they are shiny metal. I might even replace this small piece of silver-painted rubber with a strip of shiny aluminium later.

7m8elsa.jpg

Meanwhile, I've found the culprit to the massive bruise on my right shoulder. There's a high weld inside the back brace where it curls over my shoulder and digs right into me on the bone. I was tempted to just pad it, but I think instead I will take the grinder to it and grind it off, then pad it.

mpYXbHp.jpg

ANNOUNCEMENT!

Our favorite Steel Iron Man suit has been invited to appear at the Sydney Knife Show on Sunday, 6th of August 2017, 11am until 2pm, Rosehill Gardens Racecourse.
We will again be raising money for the Starlight Children's Foundation, to enrich the lives of seriously ill children and their families.

My team of helpers is hard at work battle-hardening the electronics, tailoring a custom undersuit and building safer batteries while I refine some of the detail work in the suit itself. This will set it up for the upcoming hospital visits.

Why the Knife Show? Because the knife making community played a big part, (and still does), in helping me finish the suit, through creative fundraising with my knives. Enjoy the story poster below. :D

aCPewya.jpg

ltG0Thm.jpg

Bless you all for doing this,SB & team.
As Tony Stark phrases it in Iron Man:"(...) It's about legacy, the legacy left behind for future generations."

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ Cheers guys. :D

James and I having a great time of it tonight, battle-hardening all the electronics in the suit for the upcoming event in Sydney, as well as consolidating the power supplies and wiring harnesses.

We tinkered away, well, James did most of the work, I just assisted and made some decisions... All I have to do with the electronics now is duplicate what he's done on one arm, install a second battery, tidy up and secure all the wiring harnesses. Hopefully my mate Deano will send me the super-duper battery he's been working on soon. If not, we will manage with what we have for now and chuck in the improved one later.

ouGEsid.jpg

dD3gVkE.jpg

1bOiTbf.jpg

Woohoo!!!! Metallic vinyl has arrived and it's perfect! Finally found something the right colour, sheen, flexibility, thickness and stiffness to make the flexible covers in the armour gaps. (EDIT: my phone camera seems to bring out a pinkish hue to it, but rest assured it is a cherry metallic red.)

DsWPeAF.jpg

This stuff is brilliant! I can layer it up and stitch it together as overlapping plates, or just burn plate lines in one layer with a soldering iron.

DZSzzOI.jpg

Layered plates that need stitching together

WUXLI8K.jpg

Bringing the battery from the back of the leg into the chest plate. Quick eject bracket in case of fire. Wrapped the top of the battery in the new mayerial to blend it in.

1xoFpFM.jpg

L9u09F8.jpg

Love this build :thumbsup Thanks for sharing progress
I hope you and your team get to solve the last bugs.Looking forward to your review of the 6th :D

Love this build :thumbsup Thanks for sharing progress
I hope you and your team get to solve the last bugs.Looking forward to your review of the 6th :D

Thanks George.

Promotional poster has been released to the public and is spreading on social media. If you would like to help me raise money for the Starlight Children's Foundation, please share this on your own social media platforms.

OCrEhSI.jpg

Here's the blurb that accompanies the poster.

"It took over 3 years of weekend's and spare time along with blood sweat and tears to build, but Barry Armstead toughed it out and now has an awesome Iron man suit to show for it.

With help and guidance from a few of the Canberra knife making community Barry was able to learn a new skill set to help make this dream a reality. He learnt how to make knives and money raised from the sale of these helped fund the build.

The suit wasn't made just for Barry though, his intention from the start was to bring a smile to the face of children in hospital by suiting up and letting them get close to a superhero.

Barry has already raised money for The Starlight Children's Foundation and this is the charity he'll be supporting when he makes an appearance at The Sydney Knife Show on Sunday 6th August.

Bring your children (or your inner child) along and have a photo taken of the Ironman MKIV suit Barry has created and donate a gold coin to a very worthy Charity.

We hope to see you there."

Last edited:
Any chance you could share which pair of video glasses got built into these things? The closed-face vision is the most interesting part of this whole project to me. You shared that you think you got them on AliExpress, but looking through those is like looking for a needle in a needle-stack. I'm super curious about how the wiring on that setup works.

Any chance you could share which pair of video glasses got built into these things? The closed-face vision is the most interesting part of this whole project to me. You shared that you think you got them on AliExpress, but looking through those is like looking for a needle in a needle-stack. I'm super curious about how the wiring on that setup works.

Something like this I think. Just stripped away everything except the bare bones inside and added an external camera.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1452

New shirt layout for my Iron Man roadies! Printing this weekend! Zee and the wonderful people from http://www.teetalk.ph/

shpg41U.jpg

Meanwhile... back at the ranch...

Pleated undersuit mods coming together. Here's how it looks under the armour. Camera's never seem to pick up the sheen that the eye can see.

hunaDY8.jpg

kCnwKhz.jpg

Legs in progress. Beautiful work by my wonderful aunt. So much work! So many stitches! Hard material to work with too. Very slippery.

W2a7rKT.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back