My LOTR Themed Theater Room

SB - I know you've already hard coated your sculpts but I wanted to let you know about another surfacing product for foam. FSC-88 WB Primer/Filler from Coastal Enterprises. You can order it online from Inventables.com. It's not cheap, about $45 a gallon but it's great stuff. Out of the can it's got a very thick consistency and can be thinned for spraying, brushing rolling or used as is. In additional to sealing the foam for painting it can be used to create textured surfaces. Really cool. It's kind of like gesso except that it sands beautifully, gesso has so much latex in it you can't sand it very well. It's also the best primer I've ever found for MDF. And it's water based, which is nice. It won't create a hard shell surface but you don't really need that, unless you're going to be through raves in your theater!

[url]http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s480/GoldbergArts/Misc/b0d42eb6-f2d6-4eec-8739-a8f71f8d46a9_zpsdfiqhdvk.jpg[/URL]
Maybe not a rave but you know how those dwarves like to party.... not to mention the Hobbits

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

How workable is that product DaveG because I'm building the entire wall in the seating area out of MDF. For durability reasons I'm scared to use foam! So far all I've done for a MDF primer is half wood glue half water mixture applied to the MDF, then a coat of foam coat for texture. But that stuff sounds like it's better suited! As far as the rave goes, my wife and daughters have dance parties quite often, definitely needs to hold up to a dwarf level party!

DWVinny, that question has been asked enough that I'm debating making one of them functional! I've thought it through and it is possible!

Thank you everyone else for the kind words! I made quite a bit of progress, I'll update it in a moment, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's really workable and sands like a dream (wear a dust mask!). Since it's pretty thick in the can you can build up textures really nicely. Stipple it on with a sponge or brush. Here are a couple pics of an MDF sign that I textured with it. Just stippled it on real thick the lightly sanded the face to get a smooth cast iron look. But you can do stone too.

Ok, so we got quite a bit of progress made yesterday and today.
1.jpg2.jpg
To begin my wife weathered both of the statues.
This is tough to capture with my camera, she
used 4 different shades of gray and green. She
dry brushed highlights all over them. It was her first
time doing anything of this nature, it looks amazing!
9.jpg
While she was doing that, I was doing this! I wired
leds into all of the shelves of the statues. This should
illuminate the props very nicely! I bought about 32 feet
of leds and soldered wires to them all to run in parallel.
This is the same leds I will use for the candy shelves.
4.jpg5.jpg3.jpg
Here are the views of the lights all lite up... They are way
less blue in person, they match very nicely to the statues.
6.jpg
Then we began painting the underside of the soffits. They
will be this brown for a base, and then weathered with
darker browns and blacks.
7.jpg8.jpg
More views of the other soffits. The beams will be a lighter beige for
contrast.
img_20160104_164952.jpg
Other news, I have been struggling with this red in the
concession area. My wife and I decided to switch it to
Classic Black Polyshades. I will hopefully be doing this
within the next few days!

That's about it for the progress. I have a bit of touchup to do for the soffit color, then on to Gollum's Cave! Thank you all again for the kind words, this group continues to be a massive support through this project! Thanks guys!

DaveG that sign looks gorgeous! That may be the ticket to texturing the MDF stone in the seating area! Possibly in Gollum's Cave as well!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate the kind words! My job has been ramping up, around 80 plus hours a week working days and nights... But I am still working on the room! I've roughed in the lower cabinets for the concession area/Gollum's Cave, and installed the candy shelf and wiring. I think it's measurable progress so maybe I can snap some photos this weekend and update better?

Every house needs a Gollum !!

Just to remind you not to be quite so evil in how you treat other people. ;)

So a bit of explanation. The first picture is kinda the latest one. This is Gollum being lit by hidden LEDs in the trim work. The second one with Gollum is only with ambient light. The third is the cave without Gollum. It was carved from foam, hard coated, then painted and weathered. We then poured resin epoxy over the bottom to simulate water, the effect of much cooler in person! The final is the candy shelf lit by what will be hidden LEDs. Thank a ton for all the compliments everyone!

Thanks for the compliment James!

Ok so I have a bit more progress, I'm sure most of you are thinking this is taking way to long!! And I would agree except that my regular job is way too demanding...Thankfully I only work it 9 months out of the year so my break is coming!

As I have stated before, this has been in the works for almost 2 years! My family and I are more than ready to wrap this up, and with the progress I've made this year thanks to getting to work on it during my work season, I believe we'll be watching movies this December! Today's update is the wall leading to the master bedroom. We decided to make the bedroom door, a recreation of the Doors of Durin.
DoD Both Pillar Bases.jpg
This is the section of wall. As of this point all I've done is install a MDF base to the drywall for both soundproofing and an attachment point for the rest of the items for the wall. And I have attached the bases of the columns that will surround the door. The door that is pictured is not the final door, I ordered 2 smaller doors so that it can open outwards like it does in the book/movie.
DoD Pillar Base.jpg
Here is a closer view of the same thing. The columns I built were 4 pieces of 3/4 MDF glued together, so to securely attach them to the wall I left the very last piece unglued, just screwed, while I cut and shaped the columns so I could remove it, glue and screw it to the wall. Then I could attach the rest of the column to that base with glue and screws.
DoD Pillars.jpg
This is it with both columns attached. I scarred them up with an angle grinder to simulate damage that I imagine an old massive door would have. Many enemy blades trying unsuccessfully to get and and whatnot.
DoD Crown.jpgDoD Crown Anvil.jpgDoD Star.jpg
This is the carvings that are placed all over the doors. I used 1/4 MDF and cut and sanded it to get the look I wanted. These will be cut in half and placed on both sides of the doors when they arrive.
DoD All Attachments.jpg
This is a rough setup of what it will all look like as one piece on the doors.
DOD Arch 2.jpg
This is the archway for the doors. Not exactly movie accurate but I have had to change things slightly to fit the space better. I feel like it fits beautifully into the theme and my family is happy with it so it works! The letters were all cut from 1/4 MDF by my wonderful wife! She spent all told, probably 7 or 8 hours cutting and sanding every letter here! I chose to not go with the entire inscription found on the actual archway but instead choose "Door of Durin, Lord of Moria, Speak Friend and Enter" The part I decided not to include was basically just Durin giving credit to himself and another for writing and carving the inscription. Since it wouldn't all fit, and actually my wife and I wrote and carved it, it felt right. Other than that this is the actual lettering found on the arch. The arch itself is just 2 pieces of 3/4 MDF glued, screwed, sanded and routed to shape.
DoD Arch.jpg
This is the arch on top of the pillars. I still need to build out the bases and tops of the columns to look right. Then install the doors when they arrive. Install the carvings to the doors. Then hard coat and paint the entire section. Once finished with the stone look, I will outline all the parts with a glow in the dark paint or something, so that when I turn the lights off, it will all faintly glow for a bit.

As always, thank you all for your kinds words! Any advice or criticisms are appreciated, thanks everyone!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back