My LOTR Themed Theater Room

That's a great idea, I'll give that a shot, just mainly need protection on the shelf itself. On a side note, after further examining your amazing collection I had a question. How many of your pieces are custom? There's a few items I've never seen offered before!

There are quite a few. Some I have bought from fellow prop makers here and a few I have made myself. If you search my Flickr page you can find most of them. You should also search for the Flame of Udun forum as sponsored by Weta and there are a ton of great LOTR artists and collector there as well. I go by N2darkness over there.
http://flameofudun.net/

Last edited:
AWESOME !!!!!!!

Great work on the carving/sculpt statues ....... they look amazing !

Can't wait to see the finished room.

How about calling the second statue Hobbs ? ... ;)

Thank you Crypto! And funny you should mention Hobbs, my nephew is Calvin because of my sisters love of the comic! So I think you're right! No name shall become Hobbs!

This is just all kinds of cool!

I'm interested as an AV nerd to hear about the equipment you'll be using, projector, speakers, audio, etc.?

Thanks guys! It's been lots of fun to build! jwbviii you should most definitely go all out in a remodel, you will not regret it! My wife and I already feel immersed as we walk into the room, it's like we're walking into middle earth! What route are you thinking for your room?

DaveG, I haven't completed my equipment purchases yet, as I didn't want to buy a projector and have it be outdated before the rooms complete. As of now I was looking at getting an Epson Powerlite 3020? Or I think it was a 3050? Any other recommendations?

My screen will hide my speakers so I'll be purchasing some AT screen material and building the frame myself. For speakers, I listened to a buddies setup and decided to go with some 6½ inch 2 way in ceiling for the rear, and 6½ 3 way in wall for the sides, both just monoprice speakers. I figured they wouldn't be used to heavily other then ambient sounds. My fronts are a pair of Infinity RS5s and my center is a nice Aperion Audio 533 VAC. I haven't settled on subs yet, I am still contemplating bass shakers in the seating area for one of the lines out...

I did buy a Sony STR-DH740 for my receiver mainly because it was a steal on Craigslist and still brand new in box, but I'm on the fence about it. It has all the specs I wanted, but we'll see how it performs.

I bought all shielded cable for my speaker wire, and my HDMI.

I have a 10tb server in my basement that the htpc's I built access for movies and shows. So I'll be building another htpc for the theater and I've bought a free items for that so far, ssd and RAM. So a bit more there, but that's about all the equipment so far!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sharken Beard, I could go on and on about AV equipment, but don't want to derail the thread. So I'll PM you.

Sharken Beard, I could go on and on about AV equipment, but don't want to derail the thread. So I'll PM you.

Sharken Beard I'm planning on doing a Medieval/Fantasy theme. I do Viking reenactment and fighting and my wife is a renaissance fair performer one month out of the year, so we have a decent collection of that sort of thing. My large basement room is primarily used for playing tabletop RPGs (D&D, etc) but I eventually want to have it double as a home theater/den/prop display.

Is that pink insulation foam that you used for the stonework and wood plank ceiling?

@Sharken Beard I'm planning on doing a Medieval/Fantasy theme. I do Viking reenactment and fighting and my wife is a renaissance fair performer one month out of the year, so we have a decent collection of that sort of thing. My large basement room is primarily used for playing tabletop RPGs (D&D, etc) but I eventually want to have it double as a home theater/den/prop display.

Is that pink insulation foam that you used for the stonework and wood plank ceiling?
Thats sounds awesome! You should hop to it so i can get more inspired ;)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks Red!
And thank you again Dave!

jwbviii That sounds awesome! A viking/medieval theme would be sweet, especially while tabletop gaming! And yes, it was pink xps foam from Home Depot. It's inexpensive and carved very easily. I used a variety of methods to carve, from hot wire tools, to razor blades. Then texture with heat guns, water, acetone, etc. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with, I'd be happy to!

... Meanwhile, does anyone know a good clear coat with a matte finish I can apply to the shelves? I used flat paint and it shows scuffs pretty easily. Since that will be my prop display, and I like handling the props, I am worried it'll look bad quickly.

Re: The clear coat. I will pass along a tip I read a few years ago when resurfacing some book-shelves: to avoid toxins from being absorbed into the paper and potentially causing discoloration over time, use a water-based Polycrylic. I am not a chemist by any means, but I have followed that advice when surfacing anything on which a collectible or valuable will stand. So I pass it along for your consideration. The clear-coats I have used are clearly labeled "Water-Based."

JamesM242 Thank you, I think I saw a Minwax product at my local HD that should be perfect! I'll give it a try this Friday and let you know, thanks again!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160315-082954.png
    Screenshot_20160315-082954.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
Thanks! I'll have to pick your brain again when I get a little closer to starting the project but until then I'll be drooling over your theater project.

SB - I know you've already hard coated your sculpts but I wanted to let you know about another surfacing product for foam. FSC-88 WB Primer/Filler from Coastal Enterprises. You can order it online from Inventables.com. It's not cheap, about $45 a gallon but it's great stuff. Out of the can it's got a very thick consistency and can be thinned for spraying, brushing rolling or used as is. In additional to sealing the foam for painting it can be used to create textured surfaces. Really cool. It's kind of like gesso except that it sands beautifully, gesso has so much latex in it you can't sand it very well. It's also the best primer I've ever found for MDF. And it's water based, which is nice. It won't create a hard shell surface but you don't really need that, unless you're going to be through raves in your theater!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back