Sandbagger's Iron-Man builds - Now in STEEL

Re: Bazza's Iron-Man suit build

amazed!

edit: I assume you use jfcustoms files ,right ?

Can you give me your height and the scale you used for the parts ?

Thanks !

OH yes! My apologies! I forgot to mention that. Yes, JFcustoms modified Robo3687 files, along with sharkhead7854's helmet.

I am six foot two or 186cm tall with an athletic build so the default scale jfcustom has set them at is pretty close. I only have to adjust the cod slightly by inserting a couple of 1/2 inch strips in it to widen it enough to fit my hips in.

That's all part of why I am doing it in cardboard first. If that doesn't work for me, then increasing the scale by 10% on the aluminium build will certainly fix that - it's so close.

A bit of fun with the camera around the observatory.

1. I reckon I should be able to see Loki coming for miles with this...

78U8brs.jpg

2. It's a bit bright though...

wWONZj3.jpg

3. Jarvis, where's the remote?

7Ls2N78.jpg

4. Brothers in arms.

Ga4SEPC.jpg

5. The fibreglass one on the right is on a stand so it looks taller.

IRicfaG.jpg

6. That's right, you just stand over there in the corner and think about what you have done...

TDPGCGr.jpg

7 & 8. Do I look battle damaged?

8eXdpa5.jpg

aOomCJY.jpg

OH yes! My apologies! I forgot to mention that. Yes, JFcustoms modified Robo3687 files, along with sharkhead7854's helmet.

I am six foot two or 186cm tall with an athletic build so the default scale jfcustom has set them at is pretty close. I only have to adjust the cod slightly by inserting a couple of 1/2 inch strips in it to widen it enough to fit my hips in.

That's all part of why I am doing it in cardboard first. If that doesn't work for me, then increasing the scale by 10% on the aluminium build will certainly fix that - it's so close.

im 189cm and I find jfs scale a bit small. Did the default scale of arms worked for you ?
I have some pics on jfs thread, can you take a look to see the fitting?
Id appreciate it ! :)

Sent from my Note 3

Well the hand was a tricky one. So fiddly! I had to modify it a bit and make some of my own parts as this pepakura file wasn't really designed for the medium I am using.

Got it done though in a marathon all-nighter. Nearly 5am and I've been going for ten hours. zzzz....

One to go.

EjR1vQj.jpg

K2Onxng.jpg

vymDQVB.jpg

1. Last items on the painting rack.

hznhMB6.jpg

2 & 3. Gauntlet and handplate attached top and palm views.

l59e9Mn.jpg

iOSJ4bY.jpg

4. Arc reactor fired up.

4phc7nt.jpg

5. YAAAYYYY!! It's finally finished! Next stop - Aluminium build!

2fkjVTU.jpg

Now I'm going to BED!!! For a month.

This is an awesome thread! Top work! I'm starting to see a few more Iron man builds in Australia. I'm in Adelaide, currently building a Mk IV fibre glass suit. Big fan of the observatory as well!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

This is an awesome thread! Top work! I'm starting to see a few more Iron man builds in Australia. I'm in Adelaide, currently building a Mk IV fibre glass suit. Big fan of the observatory as well!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Thanks man. I'll check in on your build.

G'day guys. I have a question.

I printed off jfcustom's modified robo3687's mkIV files and made an entire suit in cardboard. I am 186cm tall and have used the default scale. Most of it looks pretty good. The legs fit perfectly but the hips are a little narrow. So far the arms are just fine.

I used sharkhead7854's helmet at the default scale as well. I cut the back away to get my head in and it fits VERY snug with a bit of a bulge in the cardboard. Would increasing the scale of the helmet by 10% be too much, too little or about right?

If I do print it at 10% bigger and don't increase the scale of the suit, will a 10% bigger head look proportionally too big?

I can increase the scale by 10% over the whole suit, or simply add in a couple of widening strips into the cod so I can get my hips in. Would 10% bigger on the whole suit equal too much room?

IVFqVVo.jpg

8Kzn6UK.jpg

fJKDoRa.jpg

@sandbagger

I wouldn't do 10% mate - that will come out too big and look out of proportion with the rest of the suit
If you go to "scale factor" from there you can change a single dimension to your size and it will automatically change the other dimensions - I would increase the width by maybe 1cm or 1.5cm if it fits snuggly now - and that wont throw it too much out of proportion

where as the cod is harder due to if you scaled up youd have to do the thighs/abs again because they would also be affected hmmm - Maybe some wideneing strips in the cod may work im not sure on that one though

@sandbagger

I wouldn't do 10% mate - that will come out too big and look out of proportion with the rest of the suit
If you go to "scale factor" from there you can change a single dimension to your size and it will automatically change the other dimensions - I would increase the width by maybe 1cm or 1.5cm if it fits snuggly now - and that wont throw it too much out of proportion

where as the cod is harder due to if you scaled up youd have to do the thighs/abs again because they would also be affected hmmm - Maybe some wideneing strips in the cod may work im not sure on that one though

Thanks so much Kryro. I'll print another one off as you have suggested and try it on for fit. I 'll try adding 1.5cm to the width. That should give me a bit of room for animatronics later too.

I assume you won't want bare metal up against your head, so once you've added some padding, 10% sounds about right.

You could always use the pep distance tool, make a hollow cardboard cross section, and see how your head looks in the hole.

Got the helmet finished today. It fits, it works and now I can trace these new templates onto aluminium and start the metal build.

Using Sharkhead7854's Iron Man helmet Pepakura file, I've noticed that when finished, the hole in the bottom of the helmet is too small to get any normal human head in. Many others make a hinged flap, but I thought it would look better if the back flap slid inside the helmet to allow head entry and exit.

I added a couple of extra flaps inside to guide the panel in and out, but also to make sure it stops before fully pulling out. I've left a hole at the back open for the purposes of this video so you can see the stopper.

The panel is actually attached to the ears so they rotate to open and close it. This has good potential for a servo to operate it later.

This cardboard design is now ready to transfer to aluminium.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Prototype three now a bigger fit by 15mm. Much more comfortable. I've modified it so that the bottom plate at the back of the head now swivels up inside the helmet to allow room to put the helmet on, then swivels back down into position behind the head.

fFStS9Q.jpg

2. Resized helmet on the left 15mm larger than the one on the right.

zNAwCY1.jpg

3. Aluminium templates marked ready for cutting.

Lmu11gO.jpg

4. Cutting aluminium templates on the bandsaw.

5MTMw5n.jpg

5. Cutting with the bandsaw, staying 1/2 millimetre to a full millimetre outside the edge line to be filed flat.

ROg6gVd.jpg

6. Chin piece cut out.

ghHETtP.jpg

7. Stitch drilling the shaped hole out, staying a couple of millimetres inside the edge line to be filed flat.

XMVOywi.jpg

8 & 9 Filing the stitch-drilled holes flat to the edge line.

3BInU49.jpg

u6Pkqey.jpg

10. Chin and lower lip pre-assembled, ready for welding.

kvNRRD6.jpg

11. Chin and lower lip pre-polished. This will make it easier to finish polish once it's all welded together.

EmHwOoT.jpg

Here's a short video of the cutting of metal on the bandsaw.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Chin, sides, top and one back plate cut and pre-polished.

ktsa6tx.jpg

2. Beating it into shape using a curved-face rubber mallet and a foam mat on concrete. Got to be careful to hit it in key points and not too much, or it begins to stretch the metal.

JZqsmFB.jpg

3. For the tighter curves, I re-shaped the end of an old plastic mallet on the grinder.

d6L1eZQ.jpg

4. Curves looking good.

1sfclsI.jpg

5 & 6. Temporarily tacked together with a bit of hot-glue to get an idea what needs to be bent more or less.

tJWf8Oh.jpg

IbUCh0B.jpg

7. Yep.... Fits.

resrqAF.jpg

I really like how you documented the stages of starting in pep/paper to honing your skills to move on to metal. Very nice build man. Subscribed to this one for sure...GM

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back