Steampunk Ironman Helmet WIP - 5/31 update

Re: Steampunk Ironman Helmet WIP - Carving Detail Lines Video

Just another option: I used thumb tacks for the rivets on my Fallout armor
100_4656.jpg

How did you get that texture on your armor pieces? I really like that look! :love

Re: Steampunk Ironman Helmet WIP - First Look at 3D piping

Only a minor update this evening...

As I continue to work on the nose-armor, I realized that the gap between my nose and chin armor plates was too small. So, tonight I did some surgery with an exacto knife and widened the 'mouth gap' a bit.

Before:
7540494736_81ff853dd2.jpg

Cutting the nose armor back a bit (in this extremely close up picture you can see where I marked the line along the bottom of the nose armor plate and then made a clean cut across it with my blade)
7540489636_2439955188.jpg

And here is the AFTER picture:
7540490820_36f3dc52b2.jpg

I also did some extra sanding on the two round sections directly over the ears. I need to create a very slightly raised disc at the center of each of the sides and then attach 8 bolt heads that will surround each center piece.

I believe I might find the right sized bold and then just cast four heads and use that mold to make the total of 16 bold heads I'll need.

I'm leaning toward using hex bolt heads... but I might go with round one if 8 hex bolts all turned to different angles just doesn't look right! :facepalm

Looks like lunch will consist of walking the nuts & bolts isle at Ace Hardware tomorrow! :):thumbsup

Re: Steampunk Ironman Helmet WIP - Carving Detail Lines Video

How did you get that texture on your armor pieces? I really like that look! :love

That texture is 'Bondo' Rubber Undercoating. I've tried other brands, but none have a texture as good as Bondo. It's kind of a cast iron look.

Thank you, sir! That's a fantastic tip. :):thumbsup

P.S. I have really been enjoying your IM updates... I'm still blown away by your craftsmanship and the clever engineering you do for hinges, joints and connections on your suits!

Some progress tonight...

I was hunting for bolt heads for the round areas that cover the ears. These are only hinted at in the artwork. This detail only shows up in the sketches of the sides of the helmet that appear in the background (and don't show in the main frontal view drawing). Here is the reference images again:
7411994090_8b00fea972.jpg

I had planned to find a properly proportioned steel bolt with a head the right size for casting it; however, Ace Hardware carries Nylon bolts for 30 cents each! So, I just bought those, snipped the threaded sections off and quickly used my dremel to flatten off the back of the bolt heads.

Here are the bolts I used -- before and after I cut the threaded sections off...
7547412104_8d278fe63a.jpg

After working with my compass and protractor, I got these positioned correctly on the helmet. I also cut out a thin piece of foam to show where the center plastic disc will go.
7547410574_c3ff074571.jpg

And a close-up view...
7547409382_cddb6caaf2.jpg

So, that looks like a workable solution for that area! :):thumbsup

I also got the nose-armor sanded and primed! :cool
7547408378_116e1e9fb1.jpg

Now, I'll just have the rivets to add before the final coat of primer! Then the faceplate is ready for casting! :love

Re: Steampunk Ironman Helmet WIP - bolts for the ear section!

Ahh... Now THAT is some magnificent work, sir. Well done.

I love the idea of taking concept art; stuff that was never meant to be made real, and turning it into a physical object. Beautiful work.

This looks so amazing. I keep checking back every day to see what you come up with.

Revisiting the rivet issue again! :behave

Today, as I was searching for air-fresheners containers that might have a neat-looking round vent on them that I could use for the back of the helmet, I found THESE at Wal-Mart for $1.29 (for 20)...
7553264870_0eac560650_n.jpg

These are 1/4" dia rubber 'bumpers' designed to protect your desks and shelves from heavy objects that might scratch them.

They are right in between the size of the tiny gems and the brass fasteners.
7553133844_4ec5720281.jpg

And here is the close up (showing their shape - which is cylindrical with a domed top)...
7553132490_3a6c4712fe.jpg

I think these match the size of the artwork better and they're even self-adhesive! :rolleyes

Thoughts?

Revisiting the rivet issue again! :behave

These are 1/4" dia rubber 'bumpers' designed to protect your desks and shelves from heavy objects that might scratch them.

They are right in between the size of the tiny gems and the brass fasteners.
7553133844_4ec5720281.jpg

And here is the close up (showing their shape - which is cylindrical with a domed top)...
7553132490_3a6c4712fe.jpg

I think these match the size of the artwork better and they're even self-adhesive! :rolleyes

Thoughts?

I have been following this thread closely... You are doing some amazing work. I have never been into steampunk designs, but this Iron man version is going to be awesome!

I think those bumpers are perfect in size. I'm not sure that I would trust their adhesive though. It is sometimes a hit and miss on how well self-adhesive items stick over time

I'm not sure that I would trust their adhesive though. It is sometimes a hit and miss on how well self-adhesive items stick over time

That's a great point! I'll make sure to add a bit of my own adhesive before sticking them on! :lol

Re: Steampunk Ironman Helmet WIP - New Rivet Solution (thoughts?)

I am following our every post and it is getting more exciting and amazing with each post and each new step! I hope you do us all the pleasure of doing a whole suit!
M

I am following our every post and it is getting more exciting and amazing with each post and each new step! I hope you do us all the pleasure of doing a whole suit!
M

I definitely hope so! Digitizit certainly WANTS the full suit... and I would love to do build it for him. :):thumbsup

I picked up a piece of 1/16" thick plastic today and cut it into the center circles for the ear area detail.
7553630696_0879eb403c.jpg

I can never get a perfectly round piece with an exacto knife, so I took these two pieces out to the car port, clamped them together and then used my dremel to sand the edges until they were both closer to a circle.

I then used some glue for plastics (pictured) that I liked using for parts on Mikey's costume. Added a clamp for good measure and now that can sit until it's dry.
7553629468_41398a6620.jpg

That will get repeated on the flip side tomorrow.

I also did some measuring and marking on the faceplate... Here is my proposed placement for the rivets (although it's hard to tell if they're aligned correctly with parts of their backing sticking out all over the place! :unsure
7553628276_8fbd82c3ef.jpg

I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS PAINTED IN GOLD!!!

I've been watching your build and it inspires me to redesign my steam punk robot creation. Great work guys.

I think the new rivets look better than either of the old. They only need to stick long enough to survive through the molding process! As always, can't wait to see more.

I like the 'rivets' you've chosen. This build is so thrilling to watch! Keep it up :D

The new rivets are definitely the best solution. I can't wait to see it all painted up with those gorgeous eyes installed. A real piece of art indie.

Oh my god! Love the whole thing. The "rivets" are perfect for it!

Can't wait to see the whole thing finished

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back