The Definitive Maltese Falcon thread.

Ozymandius

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
With all the Maltese Falcon info scattered all over the place, I wanted to start a new thread to serve as a compendium of sorts. Pics of the different versions out there, pics of your collections, you name it.

I've got some new choice pics for you guys that I'm saving for a few posts down, but I'll start it off with this baby.

My pride and joy, the prop I waited 20 years to make. The Oz Falcon.
100_1614.jpg

100_1621.jpg

Couple of new things I wanted to share.

I know that a lot of people became attracted to the Falcon after seeing Adam Savage's rather brilliant TED talk on the subject. We got a nice shot of the falcon he sculpted in the vid, but there haven't been any good pics to really appreciate what he did.

Well, I happened to have gotten a hold of a copy of it and wanted to share it with the rest of you.

Comparison pnotos of the Savage Falcon beside and Oz Falcon.
DSC_0372.jpg

DSC_0371.jpg

DSC_0373.jpg

As an artist, I love seeing other people's interepretaion of a piece. Both Adam and I have our backgrounds in Special FX; his in hard model building and mine in makeup FX, and I think the differences in our mindsets really shows through in the work. Whereas my lines are very fluid and organic, his are very sharp and hard.

Looking at Adam's falcon you can almost see the industrial mindset at work. There are a lot of hard, flat planes in the front, with the legs being nearly squared. And the back appears like a carved cylindrical column. Very architechtural in its construction.

In contrast, my falcon is all about curves and lines flowing into one another. Even the hard lines on the plinth are rounded over and smooth. And looking at the two side by side, I can see in mine the unconcious need to respect the underlying anatomy, especially in the swell of the belly and chest.

All told, I'm really happy to have Adam's falcon in my collection. If anything, it's made me look at my own work with fresh eyes and even given me ideas on how I can change things up to keep from getting stale.

Oz

Seeing how different people interpret a subject has always fascinated me. Adam's falcon is really one of the most unique that's been done, I think.

I'm hoping we get some pics of an MK falcon in here soon. Gotta a lot of respect for that one.

I am completely unfamiliar with the falcon but seeing as which you both made 1 and they are clearly different are they based on 2 different ones used in the film? Was there one used for closeups only etc. ?

Interesting to see the two interpretations side by side and what thought process went into their creations. The one on the left is definitely sleeker and meaner looking, with the narrower head and frame and the slight forward tilting of the piece gives it motion and a slight aggressive feel, compared to the more at calm right version, which is equally beautiful, but giving a very different emotional feel, in its execution.

Thanks for showing that.

I am completely unfamiliar with the falcon but seeing as which you both made 1 and they are clearly different are they based on 2 different ones used in the film? Was there one used for closeups only etc. ?

No, there was only 1 falcon ever seen in the film and both of ours are interepretations of it. And the whole point of the comparison was exploring how our different backgrounds effected the style of our sculpting.

Now granted, I'm a professional sculptor and my specialty is creating highly accurate reproductions. But my point was not which is more accurate, but rather appreciating the beauty of a different perspective. When Adam sat down to sculpt his falcon, he brought with him all his experience and years of making hard models and that shows through in the final piece. In person, you can clearly see a builder's eye at work. That, to me, is way cooler than arguing over who's looks more like the one in the movie.

But then, that's just the artist in me. :lol

Oh no I wasn't looking to compare was more curious into the history and if there were more than one style example being the TK helmet. You have Hero and background..

They're both beautiful renditions of one of the greatest props in movie history. If I had to chose I think I'd rather have yours in my collection for many of the differences you stated. I do like the column-like shape his wings take but I think yours are more true to form, closer to what the wings of a falcon would be like...then again maybe that's not the point but it does speak to your desire to flesh out the real bird. Great movie, great replica. Thank you.

Seeing how different people interpret a subject has always fascinated me. Adam's falcon is really one of the most unique that's been done, I think.

I'm hoping we get some pics of an MK falcon in here soon. Gotta a lot of respect for that one.
I posted pics of your's next to an MK in one of the threads since I own both.

Here they are again:

DSCN8218%20(Large).JPG

DSCN8219%20(Large).JPG

DSCN8220%20(Large).JPG

DSCN8222%20(Large).JPG

DSCN8224%20(Large).JPG

DSCN8225%20(Large).JPG

DSCN8226%20(Large).JPG

DSCN8227%20(Large).JPG

I have two versions the unweighted and weighted from Oz they are stunning
and very close to what is seen in the film. The weighted is my favorite . I was shocked at how heavy it is
around 15-lbs On my scale .

though it feels more like 50 ! The Mk is also a VERY accurate sculpture .

My personal feeling is that the head sculpt of the MK not the whole bird is the most accurate ever done. its almost and exact match to the one seen in the film .

I would like to see Mk do another run I would love to have them side by side.

Last edited:
I have two versions the unweighted and weighted from Oz they are stunning
and very close to what is seen in the film. The weighted is my favorite . I was shocked at how heavy it is
around 15-lbs On my scale .

though it feels more like 50 ! The Mk is also a VERY accurate sculpture .

My personal feeling is that the head sculpt of the MK not the whole bird is the most accurate ever done. its almost and exact match to the one seen in the film .

I would like to see Mk do another run I personally would love to have them side by side.

I saw a MK come up recently, just can't recall where. I'd like one of Oz' regular resin weighteds, but after getting one of his Fertility Idols, I can't swing it at this time.

Keep in mind that MK's go for a premium price like his original Idols.
I've only seen one up for sale a few years ago and it was $800.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back