Jurassic Park Horizon (etc) T-REX builds - let's see 'em!

Do any jurassic park fans here have any close ups of the dinosaur input device the made for animation on jurassic park ?. I have looked for really high quality pictures and found none.

Here is a repaint of my horizon recast
View attachment _DSC0020.jpg _DSC0018.jpg_DSC0021.jpg_DSC0024.jpg_DSC0025.jpg_DSC0026.jpg_DSC0027.jpg

A little while ago I had commissioned a little known artist in the JP fandom to build me a replica Bull T. rex maquette from a recasted Horizon model. Trusting his talents, he's proved to be surpassing my expectations. Here's what he started with:
4zXmh03.jpg

Prior to adding the head section, he painted the mouth parts and uses plain Scotch tape to preserve it while he refinished the rest of the body.
AG0wRWL.jpg

Reshaping the sculpt, he repositioned it to look more like the hero Bull T. rex maquette from The Lost World:
qhdfT6b.jpg 7pOnKLU.jpg IvLbuYK.jpg

Just recently, he's begun adding the paint. First the base layer:
zyEiUf1.jpg

And, this is the image he sent me today. Mine's the bottom one:
Ztv7CHd.jpg

Just got these WIP paint pics sent to me.
apq2fzn.jpg dL7QkNB.jpg

42c4xUN.jpg RYZA8KD.jpg

I messed with the image a little bit. I think it'll look right out of the movie with the right lighting conditions!
E9ha1J2.jpg

3M19QXY.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone have any pictures of the Jurassic Park T-Rex studio models or any information on what colors were used? It looks like shades of brown.

Last edited by a moderator:
You did a great job! Do you remember what paints you used?

Back then I was using just generic acrylic paints from Michaels or some place like that. A lot of it I mixed my own colors. I remember the paints being in tall skinny opaque plastic squeeze bottles. I was using colors like raw umber, sienna, charcoal gray, basically earth colors.

one tip I find works great for painting mouths is to add a gloss coat of Future or similar when it is done to simulate wetness in the mouth.

Same with eyes

I remember this kit... I was so impressed with my old Testors paint job.... until I saw this thread, lol... Outstanding work all around!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back