Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
If I know anything about you, SofaKing, it's that you really want to love new Star Wars! So for you to hold these feelings--a mixture of antipathy and apathy--towards TLJ, is startling, and a huge indictment of the film's quality and place in Star Wars lore.

I feel the same way. I tried, on many occasions to see it a second time on the big screen, but I just could not drag myself to the theater. The DVD? Zero interest.

It's criminal. The low-SWIQ hacks responsible ought to be ashamed. But they are not.

The Wook

I DO! I really do! LOL ;)

I really enjoyed TFA. Was it a rehash? Sure. But it felt like a SW movie. It was fun, lighthearted and left me with that same sense of "awe" I had as a kid. The ending was awesome! That's what I want each SW movie to do. I enjoyed SOLO. Another fun filled ride that fueled my passion for the Falcon, but also brought the little kid out of me. I'm still smiling about SOLO. TLJ was SO DIFFERENT in SO MANY WAYS that it was almost disturbing to watch. There was literally NO connection between Ep 7 and 8. It just made no sense. And I really want / wanted to like it.

But... it is what it is. It's cannon now and there is not much we can do about it. Ep 9 will be a challenge as it has to now connect the unconnectable. Is that even a word ;)

I DO! I really do! LOL ;)

I really enjoyed TFA. Was it a rehash? Sure. But it felt like a SW movie. It was fun, lighthearted and left me with that same sense of "awe" I had as a kid. The ending was awesome! That's what I want each SW movie to do. I enjoyed SOLO. Another fun filled ride that fueled my passion for the Falcon, but also brought the little kid out of me. I'm still smiling about SOLO. TLJ was SO DIFFERENT in SO MANY WAYS that it was almost disturbing to watch. There was literally NO connection between Ep 7 and 8. It just made no sense. And I really want / wanted to like it.

But... it is what it is. It's cannon now and there is not much we can do about it. Ep 9 will be a challenge as it has to now connect the unconnectable. Is that even a word ;)

You posted pre-Solo that if Han did not come off as a scoundrel, womanizer, etc., that the film would fail for you. So I'm very surprised you liked it, given he seemed to tag along in virtually every scene of the film like someone's harmless little brother. He kept saying he was bad and an outlaw, but Q'ira didn't buy it, and neither did I. It surprises me anyone did. Especially someone like you, Sofa, who went into the film with that litmus test in mind.

You posted pre-Solo that if Han did not come off as a scoundrel, womanizer, etc., that the film would fail for you. So I'm very surprised you liked it, given he seemed to tag along in virtually every scene of the film like someone's harmless little brother. He kept saying he was bad and an outlaw, but Q'ira didn't buy it, and neither did I. It surprises me anyone did. Especially someone like you, Sofa, who went into the film with that litmus test in mind.

I wasn't expecting a full blown scoundrel or womanizer from the start. Han wasn't born a scoundrel - something turned him into one. And we got a glimpse of that very thing. Q'ira put him on that path. We saw him walk that path near the end of the film with Beckett.

I was afraid they were going to go all PC and change the very essence of Solo. But he has to become Solo first. If that meant being insecure and trying to find your place in the world then I'm OK with it. It's an origin story. Coming full circle with Beckett... It goes to the argument that Han shot first. No, Han shot. Period. :)

That was the whole point of that dialogue. We weren't supposed to think Han was bad. He's had a hardscrabble life and done some questionable things, but deep down, he's the good guy. Unlike his femme fatale ex-flame.

He was a wuss, is what he was.

The Han Solo from Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back was not a wuss a decade earlier.

Imagine if the RPF required you to post your real indentity? Be fascinating to see who would still here. I know for a fact some here are afraid of their own given name being posted. That says a lot about the warm blanket of anonymity.

Unfortunately, the reason some people are afraid of having their own name out there is because they are afraid of what other people would do with that information. There are plenty out there who would act like complete trolls whether their own name was attached or not. Lots of people, myself included, argue for anonymity, not so we can act like idiots, but for protection from those who would.

Unfortunately, the reason some people are afraid of having their own name out there is because they are afraid of what other people would do with that information. There are plenty out there who would act like complete trolls whether their own name was attached or not. Lots of people, myself included, argue for anonymity, not so we can act like idiots, but for protection from those who would.

This is my real name. Doesn't make any difference. I've had a few honest arguments here, even called a few people out once or twice, but if it ever goes too far I'm perfectly willing to apologize and mean it. Im here to learn about props and costumes and occasionally have stupid arguments about movies. I'm not interested in making enemies.

(By the way, if any of you ever have an actual beef with me, shoot me a pm. Odds are very good that I'll back off no questions asked rather than continue to hurt feelings)

But I do understand why some want anonymity. Aside from the reasons you gave, which are all true, there's also the fact that some people care more about WHO says a thing than WHAT'S being said. I think that's sad, and it makes anonymity needed in some cases.

KellY Marie was thrown under the bus by Ruin J, with a crap lead role, bad diologue, rotten hair style, and a potato-sack for a costume. Let me just say she should never be personally attacked for TLJ, she did what she was directed to do. And anyone doing so is disgusting!
That being said most stars of film are picked on... Chris Pratt was crapped on for sending prayers to Kevin Smith, not to mention a 4 year old boy dying of cancer, then he was **** on for butchering some animal on his farm for meat....

NO ONE RAISES A FRICKEN EYEBROW because he's a white male......

Guess what Kelly Marrie, put your big girl boots on and take it like a champ because YOU put yourself out there!!!

This isn't the only example.

TLJ sucks because of aweful story telling, worse dirrection, and the inclusion of SJW characters like Holdo.... Not to mention the Joke Skywalker was made into....

FK, KK, Johnston....Get out of our universe you smug Muppets! I can't even explain this tripe to my 10 year old who "loved SW"

While I thank you for agreeing that the bullying is wrong and shouldn't happen, the "examples" you gave of Rian Johnson throwing Kelly under the bus aren't examples at all, but merely your opinions on the character, the role and the film... none of which constitutes anything that Rian did or didn't do to harm Kelly. They are simply your opinions.... and aren;'t relevant to my statement.

By writing such an insipid, stupid character for her.

As I'd mentioned about Darkside's response, that is merely your opinion of the character/role/story...not something objectively quantified as a misdeed that Rian Johnson intentionally perpetrated in order to hurt Kelly Marie Tran.

- - - Updated - - -

He doesn't really have a choice, in my opinion. Those actors had to work with the material HE gave them, and which created the toxicity. All the blame fall squarely on him and his boss who approved it, not the actors.

The movie didn't create the toxicity. That's ridiculous. The movie was received differently by different people. Some of them chose to dislike it, and to move on from criticizing it to criticizing the actors themselves. THAT is the toxicity we are talking about.. and the movie didn't create it. That was the choice of those who engaged in spreading it.

Take Laura Dern in a coutoure dress with purple hair, and replace her with, say, Sam Elliot in a military uniform with a high-and-tight haircut, but leave the dialogue exactly the same, and you don't have any air of emasculation.

I would love to have this done as a social experiment, because I was at first going to comment that the emasculating part would be to be dressed down by someone that doesn't project an authority demanded of the position...to that, I had found that to be the case with Holdo, simply because I thought she was a poorly-written character.

Would I feel differently with a male in more of a clichéd embodiment of the character? I confess, I don't know now. Damn. :(

He was a wuss, is what he was.

The Han Solo from Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back was not a wuss a decade earlier.

A decade earlier in real world time, yes. But in universe time, that was long after. And how do you suppose he became that way? I reckon Sofa King is right that Han had to become that cool character through being less so earlier in life, and having to bleed for it.

Character development.

As I'd mentioned about Darkside's response, that is merely your opinion of the character/role/story...not something objectively quantified as a misdeed that Rian Johnson intentionally perpetrated in order to hurt Kelly Marie Tran.

That's actually a lot of people's opinion. Very few people like that character.
Intentional or not, he did hurt her, and he is responsible.

The movie didn't create the toxicity. That's ridiculous. The movie was received differently by different people. Some of them chose to dislike it, and to move on from criticizing it to criticizing the actors themselves. THAT is the toxicity we are talking about.. and the movie didn't create it. That was the choice of those who engaged in spreading it.

Sorry, Kristen - the movie absolutely created the toxicity.
It's simple cause and effect. The toxicity didn't exist until the movie did. The toxicity is a reaction to the movie.

TLJ is an insult to Star Wars fans. A literal insult to Star Wars fans.
The only way it could be more blatant is if Rian Johnson himself came to your house and personally **** on your porch.
I am baffled that a woman of your intelligence is defending this film.
How can you not see it for what it is?

- - - Updated - - -

What do you mean the movie didnt create toxicity? It was the catalyst for it. Obviously if Rose was either a kick ass character, or the movie was universally acclaimed, there wouldnt BE any toxicity. Well, at least not to this degree perhaps. The reason why we know about it is because the nature of the origin of the toxicity; social media. I personally think social media should be shut down lol. I cant stand it, and all it does is seem to cause problems.
Axlotl Dude, very well said. I couldnt agree more.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's actually a lot of people's opinion. Very few people like that character.
Intentional or not, he did hurt her, and he is responsible.

Sorry, Kristen - the movie absolutely created the toxicity.
It's simple cause and effect. The toxicity didn't exist until the movie did. The toxicity is a reaction to the movie.

TLJ is an insult to Star Wars fans. A literal insult to Star Wars fans.
The only way it could be more blatant is if Rian Johnson himself came to your house and personally **** on your porch.
I am baffled that a woman of your intelligence is defending this film.
How can you not see it for what it is?

Point #1: Many may indeed hold that opinion. it is still an opinion only.

Point #2: Toxicity within a fanbase--any fanbase--did not suddenly pop into existence in 2017. Toxicity is a human condition, and one that flares up when certain humans forget how to be decent human beings and instead direct their displeasure over an inanimate object at other human beings.

point #3: I don't know what to tell you. You hated it, I didn't. we are both intelligent adults... and we disagree. That is all. And I don't begrudge anyone for disliking it. What I do begrudge is the implication that because I did like it--and because i stick up for that fact--that i am somehow less intelligent, or that it should be a surprise to you that someone (like me) whom you view as intelligent should somehow be above liking something just because others don't.

In the end, we disagree. And I'm OK with that. we agree on enough other things that I'm happy to let this one pass. :)

What do you mean the movie didnt create toxicity? It was the catalyst for it. Obviously if Rose was either a kick ass character, or the movie was universally acclaimed, there wouldnt BE any toxicity. Well, at least not to this degree perhaps. The reason why we know about it is because the nature of the origin of the toxicity; social media. I personally think social media should be shut down lol. I cant stand it, and all it does is seem to cause problems.
@Axlotl Dude, very well said. I couldnt agree more.

Being a catalyst isn't creating it. Having a catalyst implies there was an underlying state of affairs which the "catalyst" ignited. But still, the catalyst did not create the state of affairs.

Your last statement I think is much more spot on. Social media absolutely was the vehicle for it getting this far out of hand... because it not only gives a voice to everyone (which in theory is a good thing) but also allows a minority to sound like a majority (which again--in theory--should be a good thing).

I agree 100% with your last thought. SM does seem to be more of a hindrance to happiness and health these days than it is a good thing. :/

I would love to have this done as a social experiment, because I was at first going to comment that the emasculating part would be to be dressed down by someone that doesn't project an authority demanded of the position...to that, I had found that to be the case with Holdo, simply because I thought she was a poorly-written character.

Would I feel differently with a male in more of a clichéd embodiment of the character? I confess, I don't know now. Damn. :(

Exactly! And here's the thing: that's ok. There's a TON of below-the-surface stuff like that in our society that we often don't even realize is happening, but it's still there. Movies like this can sometimes wake you up to that sort of thing. As long as you're willing to engage with that thought process and, if you determine that maybe you've looked at things in a way you aren't comfortable, you decide to change things, then there's nothing wrong with starting from mindset and getting to another.

I tend to think about a comparable scene in the beginning of Top Gun, where the squadron commander chews out Tom Cruise's character for being a reckless flyboy. I don't see it as all that different from Holdo chewing out Poe (although, obviously, there's less of a sense of impending doom in Top Gun). I'm comfortable with the character of Holdo, but I can still recognize that there's a part of my brain saying "Hang on. This doesn't look quite right." And that's entirely because of the visuals involved and that fact that Holdo is a woman, and our preconceived notions about figures of authority in the military and what they're "supposed" to look like.

I dunno if Holdo is a well written character or a poorly written one. I think it's tough to tell, given that she doesn't get a ton of screen time. But I also don't think the thought of "Is she a well written character?" would occur...if it were this guy doing the chewing out:

james-tolkan-as-stinger-in-top-gun-1986.jpg

My brain wouldn't stop to process anything about that sequence, even if literally all the dialogue was exactly the same.

While I thank you for agreeing that the bullying is wrong and shouldn't happen, the "examples" you gave of Rian Johnson throwing Kelly under the bus aren't examples at all, but merely your opinions on the character, the role and the film... none of which constitutes anything that Rian did or didn't do to harm Kelly. They are simply your opinions.... and aren;'t relevant to my statement.
Yet, you're replying to a post that is using bully tactics. :rolleyes

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back