What did you think of Ocean's 8?

• It was great. Loved it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it.

• It was disappointing.

• Total voters
Remaking a movie but with an "omg, all female cast!" is about as creatively bankrupt an idea as I can imagine. It's Poochie film-making. On the other hand, I hope to sell my Kill Beatrice script any day now.

Remaking a movie but with an "omg, all female cast!" is about as creatively bankrupt an idea as I can imagine. It's Poochie film-making. On the other hand, I hope to sell my Kill Beatrice script any day now.

It's not really a remake, more of a spin off, with recurring characters from the Clooney movies.

If the heist is any good it could be a decent film. Ocean's 11 was excellent, but the next 2, the heists were just dumb and they suffered for it.

She's Danny's sister. She's in the family business. There was never any "Ocean's 11 but with women!" hyping about it that I ever saw. There was internet flak when it was first announced that it was exactly what you describe -- a gender-flopped remake, but that went away instantly as soon as it was discovered it was not, in fact, a remake, but actually tied in to the earlier trilogy.

Didn't realize there were such devoted Ocean's Eleven fans.

Considering Soderbergh's 2001 film is a remake of the 1960's Ocean's 11 film, did those fans have such strong convictions for boycotting that film too?

Or is the hissy fit only evoked when the cast primarily consists of women?

Didn't realize there were such devoted Ocean's Eleven fans.

Considering Soderbergh's 2001 film is a remake of the 1960's Ocean's 11 film, did those fans have such strong convictions for boycotting that film too?

Or is the hissy fit only evoked when the cast primarily consists of women?

:lol:lol:lol!..., @Vivek , are you ‘ acting ‘ as an agent provocateur now !?

This film looks and sounds interesting , but due to budgetary and priority issues I probably won’t be seeing it theatres .

:cheersGed

Totally understandable. And there are other potentially good movies to be seen later this month and the next, so prioritizing is key.

People can choose to ignore this film or even loathe the idea of the film and its cast members. But if all that is being conveyed with a sense of faux outrage, then it's just puzzling.

Only way to know would be to tap a parallel universe where they made this movie, but with Danny's brother. I was originally skeptical when the '01 Ocean's 11 was announced, as most Rat Pack films don't engage me, and that one was especially an exercise of ego. They only loosely had a script, much of the shoot was spent with most of the principal cast at least moderately drunk and throwing their weight around. That it got finished at all was an accomplishment... The new one is immeasurably better by just about every metric (unless one is, for some reason, a die-hard SInatra fan or something).

Unlike some, I love 12 and 13 for what they are. I like seeing the "what happens after", I like seeing the characters and relationships evolve over time. And in that vein, I had not even the slightest qualm about this being the next installment in that ongoing microcosm. Watching the trailer, it's obvious as the sunrise to me why she has the crew she does. Ripping off a Met event where the bright and beautiful will be, where elegantly dressed women will be everywhere? Never mind that one tends to go with the people one knows, and a lot of people's associates (not everyone) skew toward their own gender. *shrug*

Loved the first one, 2nd was alright, but not as good, 3rd I thought was better. They all had some really great parts. I don't watch a whole lot of movies in the theater anymore, so I'll just wait til I can rent this. But if its got at least some of the charm as the others, it should be at least a fun movie, but I don't expect a masterpiece by any means.

I'm actually curious about this. May go and see it while it's in theaters. I like that it's a spin off and not another remake.

I saw it last night. Did not care for it, but please don't take my word for it. I'm very biased because I very much don't care for half of the actors in this film. The only way I went is it was a free show and I had nothing better to do last night :lol

Saw it Tuesday night. Liked it a lot and plan to buy it on home video to watch more times. Doesn't recapture the lightning in a bottle of the '01 Oceans 11, but it's definitely a solid inclusion in the canon, IMO. I liked the actors in it more than I usually do, due to the characters they portrayed, the way it was written and directed, etc. It was especially nice, for me, to see Helena Bonham Carter and Anne Hathaway not being the way I usually see them in movies.

Back