Pacific Rim Ranger Bomber Jacket

Really nicely cut... 8 hours of work got you a great result.
I do use a home plotter cutter, as I was too tired to cut stuff like, that by hand.

Nice. For your stencil (the next time you do one) spray the back with 3M 77 spray adhesive, let it dry then place on the jacket. It will give it enough stick to keep it from shifting around.

I was wondering about that. My wife thought it would permanently bond and not be removable, which is why I didn't consider it.

Next time though, thanks for the tip!

Really nicely cut... 8 hours of work got you a great result.
I do use a home plotter cutter, as I was too tired to cut stuff like, that by hand.

Yeah, I made due with what I had available. I don't have access to cutters/plotters. I had another
friend who does vinyl decals and such suggest going that route as well. :) I figure I have about
$23 into the whole project, and most of that was paint and the fabric paper for the patch. It's
not in any way perfect, but it works for now at least.

ARISE CHICKEN, CHICKEN ARISE!

So Pacific Rim on Blu-Ray, as I'm sure you all know by now, is a ******** amazing experience and is easily the best looking Blu-Ray film ever produced. The clarity is just gorgeous but all those neat details we never spotted in the theater have a downside:
gvWKdp5.jpg

What the hell is on the right sleeve!? I've been trying to figure it out with no luck. I even sent an email to the permanently awesome Ciara Brennan who did some of the costuming work on the film and she had no clue what the hell that patch is. I was all gung ho to get work on a replica bomber jacket but the brakes got slammed when I saw the Blu-Ray and spotted that detail. Sure, I can do one without it but damnit, that patch is bugging me.

Thank you!

Here is my shot at the Gipsy Danger jacket. The kaiju kill signs and the logo on the back are done in white oil paint pens. The leather pilot patch has a velcro back and was made through G&B. The pinup girl is from the run here done by Lee S. and I cannot say enough things about how good it looks!

This is my first "practice" jacket to get my skills up before I do my own personal jacket.

IMG_0416.JPGIMG_0415.JPGIMG_0414.JPG

Thanks!

Turned out reallly good! You can be proud of that one.

How did you do the logo on the back? Stencil?

I used a stencil to trace a thin line with a fine point paint pen and then used a wider tip to fill in the rest. I had to do one coat and then go back and do a second coat to make it look solid. But if you wanted the distressed look you could just stop at one.

IMG_4128.JPGIMG_4133.JPG
I just wanted to say thank you to all the contributors to this thread! I cobbled together a Pac Rim cosplay a few days before New York Comic Con, but I had to use whatever materials I already had along with a few things from eBay. The cut, color, and design of the jacket are all wrong, and the patch is... embarrassing, but I did the best I could in such a short time! I'm going to just consider this my trial run until I can make a more accurate attempt (I already ordered an embroidered patch on eBay). For anyone who's curious, you can see more detail shots of the paint in my flickr.
But anyway, thanks to everyone for uploading so many images and templates! I found this thread really helpful.

Thanks!

I used a stencil to trace a thin line with a fine point paint pen and then used a wider tip to fill in the rest. I had to do one coat and then go back and do a second coat to make it look solid. But if you wanted the distressed look you could just stop at one.
What did you use for the stencils? I think I might give it a shot.

I just used the images in the first part of this thread and printed them out on card stock and cut out all the black parts. The PITA is the little pieces for the inside of the letters. Just work slowly and one part at a time as the jackets like to move around. Put a pillow inside the jacket and tape the stencil down and it fits ok enough to get the outline done.

Good Luck!

Here is my shot at the Gipsy Danger jacket. The kaiju kill signs and the logo on the back are done in white oil paint pens. The leather pilot patch has a velcro back and was made through G&B. The pinup girl is from the run here done by Lee S. and I cannot say enough things about how good it looks!

This is my first "practice" jacket to get my skills up before I do my own personal jacket.

View attachment 263633View attachment 263632View attachment 263631

Where did you get your pin-up patch? I'm currently making my own jacket and yours look the best quality.

Where did you get your pin-up patch? I'm currently making my own jacket and yours look the best quality.

Check the junkyard and look for Lee S. it is really great and a great price for a large patch. You can do a junkyard search for Pacific rim Patches.

so...i've been an rpf stalker for years now, but never posted much, project-wise. however, i've used this thread extensively in making a gipsy danger bomber jacket for my husband for our 3-year anniversary, so i thought i'd post some photos and say thank you--THANK YOU--for all of the super-helpful info and images i found here!

10414481_10203277888883226_75004097511434809_n.jpg10320463_10203277889643245_4635089727138105665_n.jpg10418369_10203277890283261_6856369333639402126_n.jpg

i ordered this bomber jacket on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00125XJ5U/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the little kaiju-kill guys are decals that came from 8BitThis.com - Premium Vinyl Decals & More -- though i may end up stenciling and painting them, depending on how they hold up.

i used the gipsy danger logo posted very helpfully in this thread to stencil the back.

and i hunted high and low for decent patches of the pinup and the "pacific 1st defence" shield. i even ordered the pinup patch from the shop that was selling it on ebay/amazon -- but it was way too small and not very detailed. luckily, i have a friend who owns an embroidery store. (her etsy store is here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FivePointsEmbroidery ) she took the original images i found and created original patches for me -- and she NAILED it, i do believe!

anyway. thanks again, everybody. i could have never taken this on without you!

Nicely done.
LeeS here on the forum sells patches of the pin up, first defense (color and subdued) and the kaiji kill markers.
He also sells the striker eureka patch.

p.s. don't forget to remove the price tag from the left sleeve.;)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back