Solo: A Star Wars Story

Don't you see how selective you are? When I rip on a Disney SW movie and Bryancd responds by saying I am a man with serious anger issues, where are you? You don't post, "Hey Bryan, can't you just let The Wook rip the film if he thinks it's low-SWIQ garbage, without insulting him?". No, you're silent. You're silent because you agree with him and disagree with me.

Well, when you play with a double standard like that, observers catch on, and learn to dismiss your posts due to your prejudice.

The Wook

Would you please stop sub referencing me, go find some of my "ilk" or whatever. And you have to admit this post sounds angry...

Would you please stop sub referencing me, go find some of my "ilk" or whatever. And you have to admit this post sounds angry...

Lol...no it doesn't.

And as long as you persist in being the leader of your ilk, I will reference you. ;)

I can decide when I want to post and when I don't want to.

Of course you can. Just know, that your double standard selectivity has exposed your prejudices.

I got an email alert That I was mentioned, but thankfully I spotted the key words “the wook” and “swiq” so knew I could just ignore, delete and carry on with this thread.

Lmao...oh don't act like you didn't read it. Bwahahahaa

The Wook

If SOLO is being tagged as "the funniest Star Wars film," then I have very low hopes for it. I had heard several people say TLJ was super funny as well. I didn't laugh once during the film, and neither did anyone else in the audience...

Nobody liked that second Darren.

I liked him fine, but the really important part of that quote was the "life goes on" part. The world didn't end because they replaced Darrin, and the world won't end with another actor playing Han Solo. Maybe you won't like the movie. Maybe it would have been better if they cast someone else. It will be ok either way. It's not that important.

I liked him fine, but the really important part of that quote was the "life goes on" part. The world didn't end because they replaced Darrin, and the world won't end with another actor playing Han Solo. Maybe you won't like the movie. Maybe it would have been better if they cast someone else. It will be ok either way. It's not that important.

I find your lack of passion disturbing.

I find your lack of passion disturbing.

First Becky or second Becky?
First Vivian Banks or second Vivian Banks?
First James Rhodes or second?
First Bruce Banner or second?
First Rachel Dawes or second?

Choose wisely, your WTFIQ score depends on it.

I'm being glib of course, but recasting comes in two different flavors-- those recast early in the history of the character, and those that come later. Then there's whether or not there was a change to the character along with it.

The first Darren was pretty well established and the second changed the character significantly. The first Becky was around longer, but the second was a much better actress. Hard one to call. Marvel's recasts may have seem jarring at first, but now their second string has much more screen time than the first.

But none of these are truly iconic characters that are also played by one actor primarily. On the opposite end of the spectrum, James Bond or Batman are major icons, but their recasting is a given at this point.

The only time I think we've seen something like this before is when the new Star Trek films were made. Kirk had only ever been played by one man. No matter how good or bad of job Chris Pine would do, to most people he would never be Kirk.

I wonder if we'd have been flipping out had the internet existed when River Phoenix or Sean Patrick Flannerly were cast as Young Indiana Jones. To me, that's the difference-- they aren't replacing Harrison Ford as Han Solo, they are casting a younger version of himself. It's not like this is going to be a series, or that he's going to star in more films (OR WILL HE). For now it's a one-off story about Solo's past, so ultimately I don't think it's a big deal.

It comes down to the role being so iconic, that the basic idea of recasting, under any excuse, the question becomes should you even bother doing it. Obviously, for a lot of people, that alone was a reason to not make this movie.

You guys are going to lose your minds in Indy 5 when Harrison Indy finds the Fountain of Youth and regenerates into Chris Pratt to continue the series....

Sorry!

I'm still all in on this movie and expect to come out wanting LANDO A Star Wars Story multigenerational take with Donal Glover and Billly Dee Williams.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back