Show your custom Lightsabers!

I scored a few different flash guns when I was tracking down my Graflex. This one is a smaller flash tube that I converted into a saber. The pommel was just a faucet knob that was painted black and the hand grip was a section of plastic foot rest from a drafting table that was cut to size, it was already curved to friction fit a foot rail and happened to be the right diameter to fit the flash tube. The flash tube is a Kalart model I think.

saberL.jpgsaberR.jpgsabertop.jpg

Size compared to the Graflex:
sabers.jpg

Makes a neat little off-hand saber I think

IMAG0404.jpgIMAG0400.jpgIMAG0401.jpgIMAG0402.jpgIMAG0403.jpg

I made some significant progress on my saber this evening. After searching forever and not finding any found parts to my liking, I decided to draw up a control box in Sketchup and have it 3D printed in stainless steel filament. I incorporated the led bubble display I got from eBay and an extra replica Graflex clamp lever into the control box, too. I covered up the Heiland logos on the clamps with a couple of strips of aluminum tape. Top things off, I added some orange and purple wires to the sync ports (why not?) and an additional 3D printed emitter piece that I covered with aluminum tape. I'm fairly happy with how this has turned out; it looks right at home with my OT sabers :cool.

View attachment 609303View attachment 609299View attachment 609300View attachment 609301View attachment 609302

I made some significant progress on my saber this evening. After searching forever and not finding any found parts to my liking, I decided to draw up a control box in Sketchup and have it 3D printed in stainless steel filament. I incorporated the led bubble display I got from eBay and an extra replica Graflex clamp lever into the control box, too. I covered up the Heiland logos on the clamps with a couple of strips of aluminum tape. Top things off, I added some orange and purple wires to the sync ports (why not?) and an additional 3D printed emitter piece that I covered with aluminum tape. I'm fairly happy with how this has turned out; it looks right at home with my OT sabers :cool.

Supercool!

Is that the bubble/board combo I pointed people too? I haven't figured out what to do with mine yet, but this was a great idea!

SethS
Yep, that's the same bubble display. I still have another one waiting for the right opportunity to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a shapeways account set up, but I can send you the stl file if you'd like :cool

Greetings fellow builders,

A long time ago in a galaxy far away i started on building my own lightsaber.
I started out on trying to build a graflex replica, but reading this forum i let go of that idea and i switched to a graflex inspired concept.

My saber started out as a stailess steel vacuum cleaner tube and after much grinding filing and sanding it ended up like this,

2016-04-04 11.23.44.jpg
2016-04-04 11.24.00.jpg
2016-04-04 11.24.10.jpg
2016-04-04 11.24.27.jpg

My idea was to create something in a style that could have been made by graflex, and in my opinion it turned out quite good.
The red button and "glass" eye (wich is made out of acrylic) are functional.
I changed the brass pins to a larger single pin not only because i thought it looked good but also because i could not find small brass pins that looked ok :D.
The "bunny" ears were to hard to replicate (as i don't own any machinery to make them) so were left out and replaced by an extra knurled screw wich holds the "stabilizing ring" in place, this is the only part that i am not quite sure off if it wil stay or go (maybe the opinion of fellow builders can make me change my mind).

The clamp is stil "work in progress" stil not sure if i wil be going for a (home made) replica or a tottaly different concept.
No grips until now, i am still thinking if i should go for Roy's excellent t-tracks or a ScottD style grip, QUESTION for ScottD: how do you make these wonderfull grips????

So here it is, i am very curious how you fellow builders like my work so far.
Any comment's or tips are welcome.

Perry.

Last edited:
Oops i should have checked my photographs before uploading the first two are kind of shaky here are some more detailed ones.

2016-03-12 15.48.47.jpg

2016-04-04 11.54.21.jpg

2016-04-04 12.08.06.jpgBottom (wich can be pulled out)

2016-04-04 12.08.39.jpg Should become the clamp

2016-04-04 12.10.12.jpgThe Red Button (every saber should have one :)) the stabilizer ring screw.

Enjoy!

Perry.

Last edited:
A quick update on mine... I *love* this flashgun btw! If you ever get your hands on one do so... it's put together really well and that shroud just makes it...

IMG_2442.JPGIMG_2443.JPG

So far everything that's been added are bits and pieces that I had lying around:

- incorrect rounded door catch
- variant vintage MPP clamp
- bubble strip from a MR Vader FX lightsaber

The idea was originally to try to make this into a ROTJ inspired stunt saber thatks to a suggestion by teecrooz... but it's shorter than a conventional 3-cell tube... not quite 2-cell in length I don't think, but a couple of inches shorter.

I still need to add some t-tracks and the front and back D-rings, but, what do you guys think, should I try to add a couple of Allen screws? I don't think I have the space for them now though... also, do you think a Heiland end cap might fit and add a little more length to it? Thoughts? Other suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a saber yet, but I'm testing out something, and it's gonna be a big project of mine. It'll actually be two projects now, since both SethS and Veektohr have provided me with some new parts!

http://i781.photobucket.com/albums/yy98/JaxAndTheMoon/DSC_0240_zpszvmfffml.jpg

Excuse the yellow, it's the only LED that I currently have an abundance of right now!

<---Looking forward to seeing these projects.

Between the common cold, the flu and the pollen, I haven't had much inspiration to work on anything in the past month or so.

Something arrived in the mail today that might help change that. Seth helped me find this one and I really do appreciate it. :thumbsup

QUESTION for ScottD: how do you make these wonderfull grips????

Perry.

It's mentioned earlier in this thread, but they're pieces of u-shaped stainless steel that came out of an old Ingersoll Rand valve kit. They were given to me around 15 years ago. I used to have a bunch of them, but after 13 or 14 custom saber projects last year, my supply is almost gone.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back