Official V3 Nike MAG Replica Thread - V3 Discussion Thread

I wonder why the heel and buckle perished as badly as they have, yet the midsole seems to be in fairly good condition considering the age.

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk

Yeah that's weird. Someone on the Movie Props Facebook group pointed out that the listing says it was made FOR bttf, but never states it was used. The grey material is in SUCH good shape. I'm thinking this was an extra one made by Nike and it just sat on a shelf. Even the pyramid sole looks pretty good. It doesn't look like these were ever worn.

Yeah that's weird. Someone on the Movie Props Facebook group pointed out that the listing says it was made FOR bttf, but never states it was used. The grey material is in SUCH good shape. I'm thinking this was an extra one made by Nike and it just sat on a shelf. Even the pyramid sole looks pretty good. It doesn't look like these were ever worn.
In an interview with Tinker, he said they made 6 pair.

One pair was cut up for the power lace sequence.

There was the hero pair plus three extra/stunt guys.

That accounts for 5 of the 6 pair.

So maybe...

In an interview with Tinker, he said they made 6 pair.

One pair was cut up for the power lace sequence.

There was the hero pair plus three extra/stunt guys.

That accounts for 5 of the 6 pair.

So maybe...

WOW....:eek

How new/old are your shoes?

Is it possible they did a board upgrade?

Got them in Feb this year.

Unsure about the blinking.

Mine charge like this....

Plug in... with lights off.

The next part is random...but...

10 seconds... all lights on....

10 seconds all lights off....

This 10 seconds can vary too.

Unsure of any logic behind it. I don't know if it stops when fully charged.

All I know is that I need some good working parts to replace them.

I haven't been on for a while. Are we any closer to an answer? Of shall I wait for the technology to be made.

The shoe up for auction was this shoe, which was on display for years. Not sure where though. Possibly NIKE HQ... AirMag.jpgAirMag2.jpgAirMag3.jpgs-l1600 (1).jpg

hmm
if it was at nkike HQ
Than nike ithemselves call it Air Mag?
That shoe was supposed to be on display at Universal head office.

And it is a left. I read or saw a video where Nike (Tinker) said they only got one shoe of a pair back. And I am sure they have a right. There is a photo of Tinker holding up a black plastic hard case with a single MAG.

Kind of sad that this is how these iconic shoes ended up.

That's a pity about the original. (although the clear sole didn't go too yellow after so many years)
But lots of 90's shoes crumbled like that. Wish they didn't, or I'd still have a lot more shoes from the beginnings of my collection.
Question for anyone who's disassembled V3's - do the elastic 'laces' actually go all the way down the sides to the sole underneath the ridges, or do they just get sewn onto the central framing material inside the shoes? Perhaps one day my V3's will be worn out enough for me to find out if no-one has tried yet (but that's a few years away yet lol)

I wonder why the heel and buckle perished as badly as they have, yet the midsole seems to be in fairly good condition considering the age.

It looks like they used a standard cheap foam casting material of the time hence it has a certain life expectancy if not looked after correctly.

Both the heel and soles were foam casted pieces and painted with zolatone paint.

It looks like its been exposed to the elements too many times.

Same thing has occured on many nike shoes of similar ages where similar foam is on midsoles.

I hope the other prop pairs are still there!

- - - Updated - - -

I think the midsole is just as bad. Looks ready to crumble. They definitely cast the sole and heel in the same foam. It could be the paint ontop has helped it survive a little longer.

- - - Updated - - -

Im finding some cheap $65 mags on ebay that look similar to the ribbed HC mags. I was wondering if anyone had them and how well do they hold up? Do they have the same issue the HC ones had with the wiring?

They are all the same

It looks like they used a standard cheap foam casting material of the time hence it has a certain life expectancy if not looked after correctly.

Both the heel and soles were foam casted pieces and painted with zolatone paint.

It looks like its been exposed to the elements too many times.
Same thing has occured on many nike shoes of similar ages where similar foam is on midsoles.

I hope the other prop pairs are still there!

Cheap or expensive, it doesn't matter. The point is, the polyurethane foams that they used back then only lasted 5 or 6 years before they crumbled. Both my first pair of NIKE AIR PRESSURE and my REEBOK PUMPS did the exact same thing after about 5 years.

In one of Tiffany Beers recent videos, she talks about storage for "your keepers" and she uses clear stackable plastic containers for all her low tops. She says that mids and highs won't fit, so she suggests the big zip lock bags.

I want to know, it is the chemicals in the air (oxygen, oxidises things) or the UV in light that destroys the materials? If it UV, then you want black storage tubs,, not clear. Or a dark room with no windows like I have, thanks to it being a home cinema.

Tinker has called them Air Mag's though he says they aren't Air Mags, he has still called them that.

If you look at the diagram explaining the different parts of the MAGs, you see "glowing air bag", so the shoes were most definitely supposed to have air bags, and ones that glowed.

EL must have been really new tech at the time and they use it because it provides a uniform colour and does not hot spot when captured in images.
They cut the EL to represent the glowing air bag, but it ended up being recognised as shoes with lights.
The MAG part is of course magnetic and was supposed to allow him to walk up walls and even hang from a ceiling. Due to tech limits of the time and budget restraints, the scenes showing this did not get shot.
So the name "AIR MAG", is correct "from a certain point of view" ;)

Just a heads up. I bought a set of electronics from WizardBTTF and just had time to try the EL panels out. His panels can be swapped out just like the ones that come with the shoes and are EXACT color matches. If you want, you can swap out ALL the electronics with his boards and LED's (which I plan on doing at some point). I just want to say thank you to him for making these available. They are PERFECT!

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back