Rogue One Vader costume

In ANH they were smoke tinted, but not very thick or opaque, so the reddish color you see behind the lenses in ANH is more due to the flesh tones of David Prowse showing through.
It's become an myth that the lenses were 'red' which is absolutely not the case.

In ESB and ROTJ, they were more of a light golden brown-ish.

For all three versions, they were way less opaque than you would think.

I swear I saw you state this before. Glad I wasn’t losing my mind

Ill throw in my two cents on R1 Vader....

Ill start off by saying that I LOATH ROTS Vader and I put R1 below him. Here is why I feel that way.

All 4 of the other Vader's are actually well proportioned and balanced in look and build. R1 is not. The whole shape and silhouette is wrong. Biggest thing that throws it off is the helmet is far to low. No I am not talking about the positioning of the dome, I'm talking about the entire helmet being too low which actually makes Vader look like some buff guy who worked out to the point his chest swallowed his neck. Spencer is pretty darn big and has a nice build yet he looked very thin in the suit, to the point where the big Prowse look was thrown out the window.

And lets talk the helmet. This is the poorest and most pathetic piece to come from an official Lucasfilm Production. The face is the freaking Quasimodo. Mac has stated that himself on the RPF and I see it my self. The crew had access to the archives, the original helmets and the Rick Baker mold but instead used a fan sculpted face. One that has little to no lineage to the original helmets. That is sad Very sad. In my opinion the Quasi's features are way to exaggerated and the cheeks slope down too much. I have yet to hear the source for the dome. The last thing with the helmet is the neck, why did they extend the neck? It sticks out like 10 feet away from the armor and at times I can see a gap between the neck and the armor, more soo then we ever see in the OT.

The armor and the cape are the next 2 pieces that are bad. The armor takes after the GT with the chest plate flaring out wards and it also looks undersized. Yes I find it really noticeable that it is undersized. The cape is just horrid. They used way to freakin much material on it to the point where it covers 90% of the armor and front of Vader. The original capes were 4 panels at a half circle but I believe they used 6 panels. That is far too much material in order to achieve the right look. The material itself looks cheap AND they hemmed it far to short as I could see the back of Vader's legs.

Cod piece is just garbage.

The suit gloves, chest box and belt look good. Well the belt and the chest box are spot on for ANH Vader and I believe that is due to the fact that the crew didn't make them. They were provided if I have my facts correct.

Overall this version of vader looks like some guy trying to gain basic access to the 501st as ANH Vader. We as the fans have developed much better suits and its hard to believe that thing came from Lucasfilm. I would rather them not include Vader in any future film if that is what they will continue to use.

My opinion comes from the fact that Vader is my all time favorite fictional character created by the minds of mankind.

Ill start off by saying that I LOATH ROTS Vader and I put R1 below him. Here is why I feel that way.

All 4 of the other Vader's are actually well proportioned and balanced in look and build. R1 is not. The whole shape and silhouette is wrong. Biggest thing that throws it off is the helmet is far to low. No I am not talking about the positioning of the dome, I'm talking about the entire helmet being too low which actually makes Vader look like some buff guy who worked out to the point his chest swallowed his neck. Spencer is pretty darn big and has a nice build yet he looked very thin in the suit, to the point where the big Prowse look was thrown out the window.

And lets talk the helmet. This is the poorest and most pathetic piece to come from an official Lucasfilm Production. The face is the freaking Quasimodo. Mac has stated that himself on the RPF and I see it my self. The crew had access to the archives, the original helmets and the Rick Baker mold but instead used a fan sculpted face. One that has little to no lineage to the original helmets. That is sad Very sad. In my opinion the Quasi's features are way to exaggerated and the cheeks slope down too much. I have yet to hear the source for the dome. The last thing with the helmet is the neck, why did they extend the neck? It sticks out like 10 feet away from the armor and at times I can see a gap between the neck and the armor, more soo then we ever see in the OT.

The armor and the cape are the next 2 pieces that are bad. The armor takes after the GT with the chest plate flaring out wards and it also looks undersized. Yes I find it really noticeable that it is undersized. The cape is just horrid. They used way to freakin much material on it to the point where it covers 90% of the armor and front of Vader. The original capes were 4 panels at a half circle but I believe they used 6 panels. That is far too much material in order to achieve the right look. The material itself looks cheap AND they hemmed it far to short as I could see the back of Vader's legs.

The suit gloves, chest box and belt look good. Well the belt and the chest box are spot on for ANH Vader and I believe that is due to the fact that the crew didn't make them. They were provided if I have my facts correct.

Overall this version of vader looks like some guy trying to gain basic access to the 501st as ANH Vader. We as the fans have developed much better suits and its hard to believe that thing came from Lucasfilm. I would rather them not include Vader in any future film if that is what they will continue to use.

My opinion comes from the fact that Vader is my all time favorite fictional character created by the minds of mankind.
It is almost as if they read the CLR and saw 3/4 circle as well HAHAHA :lol

Spencer Wilding did NOT play Vader in Rogue One, Daniel Naprous played him. The fabric of Vader's cape, tunic etc. in Rogue One doesn't look cheap at all. In the original movie it sure does but not in Rogue One. And there has always been a gap between Vader's mask and his chest armor. Rewatch A New Hope.

*shrugs*

Changes from movie to movie are nothing new, as we know, and watching Rogue One again for the first time in months I still find the voice acting of James Earl Jones to be more "off" than anything prop related. But this is what makes opinions interesting :)

*shrugs*

Changes from movie to movie are nothing new, as we know, and watching Rogue One again for the first time in months I still find the voice acting of James Earl Jones to be more "off" than anything prop related. But this is what makes opinions interesting :)

The voice of Vader does sound a bit rough but I attribute that to Vader being a little under the weather during the events of Rogue One. ;)

*shrugs*

Agreed... It even sound better in Star Wars Rebels

*shrugs*

I agree with this 100%. Despite differences in costume, it was still Vader to me until he started speaking. The voice diminished the illusion for me and I was a little disappointed they didn't do 'something' to make his voice sound more like ANH. Whether that 'something' was some sort of processing on James Earl Jones' voice (speeding it up/raising the pitch a touch maybe?) or using an 'impersonator', I don't know. Suspension of disbelief didn't quite work for me and the R1 and ANH Vaders just didn't seem the same person in my mind.

Nevertheless, it was fantastic to see Vader on screen again and was a minor gripe in a film that I enjoyed immensely.

Spencer Wilding did NOT play Vader in Rogue One, Daniel Naprous played him. The fabric of Vader's cape, tunic etc. in Rogue One doesn't look cheap at all. In the original movie it sure does but not in Rogue One. And there has always been a gap between Vader's mask and his chest armor. Rewatch A New Hope.

I can tell by your user name there is nothing to persuade you from that opinion. Both of them are listed in the Credits. Naprous did the stunt work at the end of the film.

The gap between the helmet and armor in this film is far greater then ANH....We never see the neck of the suit in ANH. But the pattern is way wrong on the cape. ANH is only 1/2 circle with 4 panels. Now please tell me with a straight face that R1 is only 1/2.....

I can tell by your user name there is nothing to persuade you from that opinion. Both of them are listed in the Credits. Naprous did the stunt work at the end of the film.

The gap between the helmet and armor in this film is far greater then ANH....We never see the neck of the suit in ANH. But the pattern is way wrong on the cape. ANH is only 1/2 circle with 4 panels. Now please tell me with a straight face that R1 is only 1/2.....

I believe that Naprous also played Vader during the Mustafar scenes and probably during the quick scene of him aboard The Devastator. Now it could be argued that Spencer played Vader during The Devastator scene but no one is certain. Vader does have his tunic placed under his chest armor during that scene which I'm not really a big fan of to be quite honest.

I know it's the ROTJ version, but the Vader in Night at the Museum 2 looked better than Vader in Rogue One. I'm sorry, but that's just an epic fail on the part of the Rogue One team!

https://s23.postimg.org/4hfvwy07f/Nightatthemuseum.jpg

Although I've never seen the movie, Vader in Night at the Museum 2 looks like Vader marching through the abandoned Rebel Headquarters on Hoth during the first part of The Empire Strikes Back and that is NOT a good thing. His helmet isn't long enough in that scene at all and it looks incredibly silly. The Vader of Rogue One and A New Hope will always be the best, most classic Vader!

Although I've never seen the movie, Vader in Night at the Museum 2 looks like Vader marching through the abandoned Rebel Headquarters on Hoth during the first part of The Empire Strikes Back and that is NOT a good thing. His helmet isn't long enough in that scene at all and it looks incredibly silly. The Vader of Rogue One and A New Hope will always be the best, most classic Vader!

It wasn't that the helmet wasn't long enough, just improperly mounted. Like how the Rubies Vader helmet is.

It wasn't that the helmet wasn't long enough, just improperly mounted. Like how the Rubies Vader helmet is.

Yeah Vader just doesn't look right in the Hoth scenes in The Empire Strikes Back at all. It makes him look like he put his own helmet on crooked. It just looks very bizarre.

Its due to improper mounting. The Night at the Museum helmet is just the 90's promo suit that used the DP DLX which also had the incorrect mounting.

But the R1 suit doesn't come close to even looking like ANH. Its so far off and stuns me that people would consider it a classic.

But the R1 suit doesn't come close to even looking like ANH. Its so far off and stuns me that people would consider it a classic.

I don't know what you're talking about at all.The Rogue One Vader IS close to the A New Hope Vader besides as John Knoll has pointed out Vader would have more than one suit/iron lung, it makes perfect sense really. As a matter of fact I think that the Rogue One filmmakers improved upon the A New Hope Vader look to be quite honest with you.

Yes ESB is the best...Rogue One the worst.

It's a well known fact that the Revenge of the Sith Vader suit is by far the very worst. To start off with Hayden Christensen is only 6'1" and with the cape dragging on the ground behind him it makes Vader look like a little child. And another thing I just don't get why people wants Vader's cape to drag on the ground anyway. It'd get really dirty wouldn't it?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back