My 31" "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" Nautilus Build

I've been picking at mine. I did the Bob Martin rusting method, but the product had changed the formula and it didn't turn out too well. All the panel line air brush disappeared . went on too thick and Bob had the same trouble with a new jar. So I've been playing around with the ratios of mixing and I think I've figured it out. I did the lower hull only, thankfully. right now it pretty much has the look of the movie, but I really wanted what Bob had done in his youtube video. So...I'm going to strip it and have another go at it. Easy off oven cleaner and then I guess petroleum jelly for the rust effect, then more oven cleaner. what a drag ...site is stuck again, pics in next post:angry
Just been sidetracked with a bunch of other things that I had been letting slide, I'll be back with some updates soon! :)

rust effect1.JPGrust effect2.JPGthe first pic is the next day dry, and then after the wiping. I guess it's ok, but not what I was looking for.

Actually think the rust looks quite good. If you dry brush the hull with a copper or gold, it will make the rivets and hull lines pop.
One thing to think about is rust moves from top of the hull to bottom. When rusting the boat, I usually have the upper and lower hull in place.
Secondly, rust happens mostly above the waterline as oxidation needs...oxygen. Rust will happen below the waterline when the hull is in drydock which the Nautilus was not.
However, the boat was assembled on dry land so there well could be a certain amount of rust everywhere before she launched.

gt, I had the same problem. My panel lines mostly disappeared, also. Which really sucks as I had not used my airbrush in years and spent $100 on a new compressor just for this project. Since it was my first time trying this rusting effect I just figured it was my own incompetence, so the thought of stripping it never entered my mind.

CRAP, where was this thread about a year ago when I needed it?:unsure

right?! but of course I wasn't even considering this build a year ago, but it has been helpful. Timey is a clever one and Bob Martin has a lot of know how as well, and happy to share, super nice guy. it's just a matter of timing, the rusting paint changed the formula and process. used to be a paste, now a thick liquid. So an all new process for this application and the desired results has to be mapped out, and unfortunately, Bob just now himself bought a new container of this stuff and has yet to figure it out, he said to let him know. I'm still experimenting. I'm confident I'll find the "sweet spot" for this stuff. However, I think I may finish as is, lot of work stripping her down and starting over, but then that's why I did the lower separate, just in case that was necessary. I have to tell myself not to get lazy or in a rush. As our friend Vismus correctly pointed out, there would be less rust below the water line. So, I guess we know what has to be done.
thanks to all for kind words and encouragement :thumbsup
gt, I had the same problem. My panel lines mostly disappeared, also. Which really sucks as I had not used my airbrush in years and spent $100 on a new compressor just for this project. Since it was my first time trying this rusting effect I just figured it was my own incompetence, so the thought of stripping it never entered my mind.

CRAP, where was this thread about a year ago when I needed it?:unsure

Thank you sir, if it was the upper, it would closely resemble what's in the movie, but since it's not...I guess I'll have to strip it. I've been going back and forth on it, doing some wiring and light placement while I considered my options. I think I know what mix ratio of this stuff is going to get the desired results, but I need a day on the weekend to mess with it. I appreciate you chiming in and helping me decide what to do. I know the finish would look decent as is, but if it's worth doing...yadda yadda :thumbsup
Actually think the rust looks quite good. If you dry brush the hull with a copper or gold, it will make the rivets and hull lines pop.
One thing to think about is rust moves from top of the hull to bottom. When rusting the boat, I usually have the upper and lower hull in place.
Secondly, rust happens mostly above the waterline as oxidation needs...oxygen. Rust will happen below the waterline when the hull is in drydock which the Nautilus was not.
However, the boat was assembled on dry land so there well could be a certain amount of rust everywhere before she launched.

well, I forgot to take a snap shot, but...The paint removal went well. No fume Easy-Off out in the garage. let it sit for about 2 hrs, soft tooth brush and the garden hose. Had to shoot a few areas a second time. let it sit for another hour or so, stiffer tooth brush this time. got it pretty clean. there are a few areas as you would expect, particularly the keel fin where all the little vertical cylinder things are. an hour with a scribe and it'll be all clean again and ready to start over.
I think I'm getting close on the mix of the iron paint and activator, but I've got a hull from a LVT I'm testing on. there's a problem with brush mark, but I'm going to get a few plastic spray bottles from our detail guys (I work at a Chevy dealer) do the mix and spray it on...I don't think I want to try running that stuff though one of my air brushes. But I'm pretty confident that's going to be the key. when I get a solid on the mix I'll post that if anyone is interested. Bob wants to know. I think he's busy with other things and probably clean up from IRMA.

Easy-Off makes model cleaning easier...rust effect2.JPGrust effect1.JPGand then...20k sub paint redo2.JPG20k sub paint redo1.JPG...feels pretty good to be able to have another run at this. I'm sure glad it was the lower and not the upper:D

Wow...Oven cleaner...Never in a million years would I have thought to try that. I would've just figured it would melt it.

Learn something new every day.

yeah, I had heard it from several folks over the years, but I had never tried it. evidently the tale is true though, works great. wear gloves though. it had the base coat, the panel/rivet air brush lines, a dull clear, the rust stuff and a clear gloss on it...came right off. had to work it some with a tooth brush, and then hit it a second time for the "busy" areas, but yeah..heck I even took a few minutes to re-shoot the base silver again this morning before I left for work so it would have all day to dry :thumbsup
Wow...Oven cleaner...Never in a million years would I have thought to try that. I would've just figured it would melt it.

Learn something new every day.

besides my finicky airbrush :angry...moving right along 20k repaint1.JPG20k repaint2.JPG20k repaint3.JPGstill working on the rusting paint mix ratio. once I think I've got it, I got an adjustable high end pump spray nozzle, going to apply with that, no more brush lines

testing the rust paint formulas this weekend on a kit bashed hull of a landing craft...but the upper and lower are pretty much ready. I did the stand in the same as the boat as seen here, but I think I'm going to leave it like this as it would not have been in the water and it will make the lines of the sub stand alone 20k upper1.JPG20k upper2.JPG20k upper3.JPG20k upper4.JPG it's not yet glued together here, have much more to do inside first with lighting, fitting the salon frames and the one side on the salon that I put together, plus build a small battery and switch box that will sit to the rear of the stand, or possibly in the front behind a name plate.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back