Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Here's what I came up with for streaks

View attachment 789155

I think 1, 6, and 7 is basically what I'm aiming for, except I'll use dark gray instead of black.
I love this technique.

I swear to God that the internet has upped the skills of everyone who does this stuff.

The models that blew my mind 10 years ago are child's play now

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Bingo! Nailed it. So what's this tool you used? :D

Literally as simple as it gets - just L shapes made out of 1/16 inch strips of wood. You put them pretty close together and airbrush over them. Also, put a little piece of tape where the streak starts so that you can airbrush that splash. I'm sure Darth Saber's rolled up tubes of tape method will get the same results, I just wanted to test what I had in my head to see if it would work

20180122_201312.jpg
20180122_201200.jpg

Literally as simple as it gets - just L shapes made out of 1/16 inch strips of wood. You put them pretty close together and airbrush over them. Also, put a little piece of tape where the streak starts so that you can airbrush that splash. I'm sure Darth Saber's rolled up tubes of tape method will get the same results, I just wanted to test what I had in my head to see if it would work

View attachment 789163
View attachment 789162
This is awesome.

The other trick I plan on doing is to use a laser level to make sure the lines all perfectly line up with the centre.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

View attachment 789163
View attachment 789162

Lol, nice! Sometimes simplest solutions are the best. Thanks for info and pics. Might have to try it.

Here are a couple shots to show my progress. Finished the panels and started on the upper gunport disk. The cannon mount piece isn't pushed in all the way in these photos. Still needs some tweaking.
View attachment 789208View attachment 789209View attachment 789210View attachment 789211
Dang that looks absolutely incredible!

What is your technique for the red and yellow panels around the Quad gun turrets?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Here are a couple shots to show my progress. Finished the panels and started on the upper gunport disk. The cannon mount piece isn't pushed in all the way in these photos. Still needs some tweaking.

Looks spot on so far! I was messing around with acrylic washes on top of enamels to get that dirty look that's on this area of the falcon

20180121_184047.jpg

Dang that looks absolutely incredible!

What is your technique for the red and yellow panels around the Quad gun turrets?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks man. You mean the chipping? I used a combination of liquid mask, scratching with an Xacto, and painting on the chips using gray and white. I added the slight tone variations on the white surfaces by dabbing on Grey Tamiya panel line ink, letting it seep into the paint like watercolors, then blending it down using a Q-tip. The darker shades around the window and edges are pastels. It's too easy to go dark with the weathering and I had to sand back some of it using a very fine paper.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks spot on so far! I was messing around with acrylic washes on top of enamels to get that dirty look that's on this area of the falcon

View attachment 789213

Looks good! My base is acrylics, so I'll have to play around and find a similar technique.

Here's what I came up with for streaks

View attachment 789155

I think 1, 6, and 7 is basically what I'm aiming for, except I'll use dark gray instead of black.
Well done Joe. Love this method and looks like the best way (for me) to do the streaks. I've been considering different approaches but this seems the best to control both the colours and the width and length of the streaks.

Last edited:

Man, power to you guys who can use rattle cans. I'm either too ham-handed or not intelligent enough--I can't get an even spray, have drips, finish looks terrible, etc. Hm.

What color did you use for the grime on the mandible tips and around the skirt?

Mandible tips: Tamiya AS-2 (Light Gray (IJN)) plus a little bit of Tamiya TS-71 (Smoke) at the very tip.
Around the skirt: Tamiya AS-16 (Light Gray (USAF)) for light, yellowish grime. Tamiya Fine Surface Primer (Light Gray) for light, neutral/cool grime. Tamiya AS-2 (Light Gray (IJN)) for darker grime with brownish tint.

Mandible tips: Tamiya AS-2 (Light Gray (IJN)) plus a little bit of Tamiya TS-71 (Smoke) at the very tip.
Around the skirt: Tamiya AS-16 (Light Gray (USAF)) for light, yellowish grime. Tamiya Fine Surface Primer (Light Gray) for light, neutral/cool grime. Tamiya AS-2 (Light Gray (IJN)) for darker grime with brownish tint.

Niiice!!
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back