Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
The ice planet bit struck me as straight-up padding. It didn't seem to accomplish anything except to introduce a pointless action sequence into an already too-busy film. In retrospect, it's the JJTrek equivalent of the Rathtar sequence, which also feels completely shoehorned in because they just couldn't bear to have 5 damn minutes of people engaging with each other on a human level or providing exposition.

I think that a lot of these things are there to serve another purpose and they can't think of a better way, thus it feels shoe-horned and contrived.

Ice planet = introduce Spock, introduce scotty, change of scenery, provide moment for Kirk to break expectation and return triumphant

The more I think about the rathtars, the more it feels as if it's there because both ANH and ESB had a monster moment in the second act right after they caught their breath from the first act. (trash compactor and space slug)

Last edited:
If there are three cruisers with limited fuel would it not be logical to tether them together and triple the running time?

Nothing works that way man...

And they have inertia,why would they slow down or stop without fuel?

I agree this looked odd in context of the movie. There's a half dozen ways you could try to explain this but best to just to accept it's a fantasy movie and move on I guess.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It all boils down to unrealistic "SW" story telling. Weird dialog. Humor, that reminds me of Indiana Jones. Powers that are achieved beyond practical training (as we have grown to know).

And not to sound prejudice...

but...Why do all the men have the "less serious" dialog or the "humor" dialog or always seem to have to be rescued (physically or emotionally) by the opposite sex. And the women are powerful, heroic, and seem to be the higher, smarter, unbeatable and saviors?

I can see how some, men and women can sense this (even my wife questioned). Man or woman, doesn't matter. But it seems pushed.
Yeah, because women never ordered men around in the OT. Or were commanding leaders while the guys acted like idiots.

Oh wait.
it-would-be-an-insult-to-carrie-fisher-s-memory-to-replace-her-with-cgi-in-star-wars-9-1284435.jpg

DueyZyQ.gif

And we've never seen powers achieved without training... oh wait:
SFIf7.gif

Last edited:
I could've sworn I saw a Sullustan in the Resistance command, but now I can't remember if that was during TFA or TLJ.

IIRC, it actually is supposed to be Nien Nunb in the background of TFA. And I think he (or a Sullustan) is in TLJ on the bridge before it gets blown up real good.

Last edited:
The ice planet bit struck me as straight-up padding. It didn't seem to accomplish anything except to introduce a pointless action sequence into an already too-busy film. In retrospect, it's the JJTrek equivalent of the Rathtar sequence, which also feels completely shoehorned in because they just couldn't bear to have 5 damn minutes of people engaging with each other on a human level or providing exposition.

Salt planet and I think he, Rian, just dug the visual of a white salt surface with red dirt beneath, It was very striking to look at as the battle raged on and Luke confronted Kylo.

This is great. Rian just tweeted a series of photos. The first shows a shelf of books presumably in his home. Then he does a close up showing he has the books The Jedi Path and The Book of Sith. He cracks open Jedi Path to the section titled Advanced Force Techniques and finally this entry...

I have books too. Maybe I should write.:lol

20180121_154635 (1).jpeg
Bryancd I apologize to you for my humor. It was all in fun

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a good comment in one of the Twitter threads posted a few pages back on the "Marvel humor" in TLJ. This poster was saying something like 'calling it "Marvel humor" really says more about the commenter's frame of reference than the movie itself.'

If he's "copying" anybody, it's Kurosawa.

Totally agree about the use of color in TLJ. Rian did an excellent job.

Perhaps, but I found that the usage of light and shadow was more prominent in TFA than TLJ. I think that TLJ has a better usage of color.
I think that it may have been the fact that I saw it in 3-d, but I thought it was one of the worst coloured movies I've ever seen. It was dark and all the colours gone. Other than red, of course

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Bingo. Star Wars space combat has never operated on Newtonian physics. If that's what you're after, check out Babylon 5 (which is awesome, by the way). Star Wars is WW2 in space. Mostly.
But Rian Johnson himself said that in this episode that he wrote space works as zero g with no resistance (no pun intended). So...how does that work now?

But Rian Johnson himself said that in this episode that he wrote space works as zero g with no resistance (no pun intended). So...how does that work now?

I get your point, RJ definitely contradicts what is shown in the film by making that statement. I don't disagree with you. I also would prefer that stuff like that remains consistent.

One of the problems I had with TFA was how they treated the Falcon. They dragged it across the ground, banged it into some structures, then flew it through a shield and skated it across the ground like a hockey puck (as it plowed through and decimated a forest). All this with no scratches. Han should be proud. Ok it was some cool visuals. But that kind of stuff doesn't sit well with me. I don't like it.

Glad to get that off my chest. :)

Exactly like I said, because that's what I saw in the movie. With the exception of Poe's Tokyo Drift move when attacking the dreadnought, everything looked like WW2 in space.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back