Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Rian Johnson gave his explanation as to why he didn't bother to give anything in regards to Snoke's background because TLJ was "Rey's story" and "from her perspective, it doesn't matter who Snoke is". But TLJ isn't just Rey's story - it's Ben Solo's story and it's Luke's story as well - both of which are greatly influenced by who Snoke is an what he has done to date:

- Ben wouldn't have gone down the Dark path if it weren't for Snoke (pointed out many times in TFA and TLJ) and destroyed everything that Luke built up (Jedi academy, etc).
- Luke wouldn't have gone into exile if it weren't for Snoke
- Han wouldn't have left Leia and his son if it weren't for Snoke
- The First Order wouldn't be what it is if it weren't for Snoke coming out of the ashes of the Empire.

To dismiss any information about him as "unnecessary" in the story was a disservice to TFA and the overall trilogy arc.

IIRC, Luke says something along the lines of "Leia blames Snoke, but I was the one who failed him."

Snoke's backstory simply isn't relevant to the TLJ story the same way Palpatine's origin has no bearing on ESB and throwing out all the information about his rise to power in that movie would have just made it convoluted.

Unnecessary specifically for the story demands of THIS film. He doesn’t imply or suggest it might be important to JJ’s story or any other corner of Star Wars. I think Ep. IX will very much delve into the psyche of Kylo and how Snoke influenced and guided him may be of great story import.
How can you say that though when its part of a "planned" trilogy? That baffles me. These movies dont gel at all, they are so disjointed its as if Star Wars got rebooted twice in the same trilogy.

I certainly think it's fair to say that TLJ has received more criticism than TFA or R1.

But I also honestly believe that in say, a year or three, TLJ won't be nearly as controversial. But even if that never happens for a segment of OT fans, from a business perspective, Disney just needs to get enough new fans to cover for attrition. And the pool of potential new SW fans from age 8-18 (for example) is just bigger than the core group of OT fans, especially now that movies are much more global. Likewise, in Disney's grand Star Wars scheme, losing a few thousand $20 movie tickets can be made up with a handful of $150 theme park tickets for galaxy's edge, or a few several-thousand-dollar-vaction-packages at the forthcoming Star Wars hotel.

From a strictly business perspective, Disney can afford to lose a few OT fans, as long as the brand is growing.

and that sums it all up... the OT fans are dispensable and as long as the brand is growing and making money then nothing else matters... trouble is it really DOES matter

IIRC, Luke says something along the lines of "Leia blames Snoke, but I was the one who failed him."

Snoke's backstory simply isn't relevant to the TLJ story the same way Palpatine's origin has no bearing on ESB and throwing out all the information about his rise to power in that movie would have just made it convoluted.

Pretty much this. I think TFA could've done a better job of setting up how we got from ROTJ to the state of things now, but I don't lay the failure of TLJ to address that stuff at TLJ's feet. That's JJ's fault, as is all the other mystery box bull****.

and that sums it all up... the OT fans are dispensable and as long as the brand is growing and making money then nothing else matters... trouble is it really DOES matter

Dispensable is not the word I would use...fungible maybe.

I don't believe for a second that Disney is intentionally trying to anger OT fans.

Pretty much this. I think TFA could've done a better job of setting up how we got from ROTJ to the state of things now, but I don't lay the failure of TLJ to address that stuff at TLJ's feet. That's JJ's fault, as is all the other mystery box bull****.

Just because RJ couldn't pull it off (story/character continuity) doesn't mean it wasn't possible. There was a treasure trove of potentially interesting material at RJ's disposal, and he chose to make a paint-by-numbers tale of moral ambiguity that we've all seen a million times before, and wrap it around a cartoon. Most everything that people are describing as major plot points, are basic themes we've seen in Star Wars already. I don't understand why people see TLJ as a fresh or interesting take on anything. The last act could have been an episode of "Rebels" in terms of a, ahem, "realistic" execution of events. I could see how some thought it fun, but it was all very silly, really. In fairness however, so was the SKB sequence in TFA.

I can forgive, to some extent, "Going in another direction" if there's truly something important to be gleaned and the misdirection itself is a "Holy crap, that makes sense, but I didn't see that coming!" type of thing. Change for change's sake? In the midst of a trilogy? Nope.

Now, all that said, if for instance, the trivialization of Ben/Snoke/well...lots of things...is all part of a "Oh, you thought you knew what they were about? Well watch this!" type of thing to be resolved in IX, okay. Time will tell. I will eat all of it if, like you say, this was all a perspective piece full of a lot of nothing *for a reason*. Either way, in JJ we trust.

But damn, TLJ-lovers; tossing the saber? Luke brushing off his shoulder after the "barrage"? "Laser sword"? That's just okay with you? Damn. :(

I dont think they are trying to anger them per se, but they sure as hell dont care about them. Which is weird because the adult sector of the market are the ones that buy a ton of the merchandise, take their kids to the movies etc. I mean look at Bryan, all he blabs about are his damn kids. :lol

I guarantee that the MAJORITY of people that LIKED the movie are OT fans so this does not really hold water.

But damn, TLJ-lovers; tossing the saber? Luke brushing off his shoulder after the "barrage"? "Laser sword"? That's just okay with you? Damn. :(

Lets talk about the Graflex

Represents "the" history, gets tossed and broken. Never understood why Luke would take it, if he is only going to throw it away. Does he have visions like Rey did, when he touched it? If so, why would he manifest it to fight Kylo. It was discarded like an old robe. Yet used to save lives. Good thing Rey didnt listen to Luke and ended up retrieving it.

I dont think they are trying to anger them per se, but they sure as hell dont care about them. Which is weird because the adult sector of the market are the ones that buy a ton of the merchandise, take their kids to the movies etc. I mean look at Bryan, all he blabs about are his damn kids. :lol

Hasbro’s Star Wars line has been doing great since TFA, so merchandise is being bought. And just one kid. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I guarantee that the MAJORITY of people that LIKED the movie are OT fans so this does not really hold water.

And this.

Represents "the" history, gets tossed and broken. Never understood why Luke would take it, if he is only going to throw it away. Does he have visions like Rey did, when he touched it? If so, why would he manifest it to fight Kylo. It was discarded like an old robe. Yet used to save lives. Good thing Rey didnt listen to Luke and ended up retrieving it.

Know what, if you want to wrap it in something profound, that's totally cool. I love that, really. But all the more reason not to use the scene as a prop for a cheap laugh, you know? At the end of the day, that's all I'm really saying about a lot of this film. Take the damn subject matter seriously, eh. I think we're probably in agreement here. But I know there will always be those that are, "Oh, but it's so ironic, man..."

I mean, we've seen some DUMB CRAP in Star Wars, some of which took me 15 year plus to be okay with; but we've been down that road. I know it's Disney, and it's a new world order now, and it's all about audience interaction (Ooooh, gotta cram stuff down their throat and make 'em all feel something every second!), but it just feels insulting at times.

Very likely. All that I really wanted was a line from Snoke saying "I've been watching the Jedi and Sith battle each other for a millennium, with no true understanding of the Force" or something shocking/revealing like that. Plain and simple. It would explain who he was and why he could have been around during the time of Sidious, without really telling us any long backstory, but also opening up a new realm of the Force.

Palpatine continued on however, all the way through to the climax of the trilogy. He'd built his own compelling narrative. We didn't need to know any more to feel something about him.

But, if what you're saying is that Snoke's not actually dead, or his character/history will still be of significance in IX, then sure, red herrings abound.

Game of Thrones used to do this really well, where every shocking death had meaning because that person always left an impression, no matter how small, and their actions advanced a plot point somewhere. Technically, even if Snoke were to have truly died, he filled that role of "Prop of significance" I suppose; but it will have felt cheap to me. I simply wasn't made to care enough about what I saw from him. And TLJ made you care even LESS about Ben than in TFA, so it feels doubly worse.

But HOW is this movie toss away the past? I’ve been genuinely looking for the reason wht makes this story so unique and forward-thinking and changing the face of SW coz everyone keeps saying it.
And as it was said many times by many a posters it makes sense that he refuses to take up the mantle and is a good idea but executing it like a Laurel and Hardy gag is off.
In fact I’ll edit the big dramatic moment from TFA with TLJ’s opening with added slidewhistle and canned laughter when it comes out on bluray.

McDonalds makes a gazillion dollars, does that mean their food is good? Or is it the marketing?

It’s the food, it’s convenience, it’s the cost, it’s has a familiarity and provides a very consistent experience. Sound familiar? I invest in MCD as well as DIS. :)

Well, some of us are in it for our hearts, some of us are in it for our wallets.;)

To each their own.

I don’t eat at McDonalds, I’m just answering the question you posed as to why they make a gazillion dollars. :)

I do consume Star Wars films because it fills my heart with joy.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back