WIP - Hogsmeade Inspired Shop (Lots of Pics)

shmartybird

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi all,

I had some spare cardboard boxes laying around, and decided to repurpose some of them.

My wife wanted something we could use as a mantle decoration at Christmas, so I decided to have a go at scratch building.

I figured we always watch Harry Potter at Christmas, and so I decided to do a Hogsmeade inspired building.

This is my first ever model. So any feedback would be welcome :).

IMG_0600.jpg IMG_0602.jpg IMG_0621.jpg IMG_0623.jpg IMG_0627.jpg IMG_0629.jpg IMG_0630.jpg IMG_0635.jpg

Wow, first model? You obviously have a natural talent. That's a beautiful building.
Is that textured paper for the stone texture on the walls?

Wow, first model? You obviously have a natural talent. That's a beautiful building.
Is that textured paper for the stone texture on the walls?

Thanks guys! The stone was done using Creative Paperclay (which I applied on top of gesso to prevent warping the cardboard). After a few days of air-drying I then carved out the stone shapes and painted it. It's amazing stuff!! (https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Paperclay-Modeling-Compound-16-Ounce/dp/B0013J0HI2)

Still want to add a shop display and maybe an LED light in the front window. Does anyone have any LED experience/tips?

oh wow

qEbdqQ.jpg

i dont know what to say really, this-is-great, and even this is first time. shmartybird you tempt me to make one for myself. absolutely brilliant. and i liked the framed picture behind the house also :) great job :thumbsup

Thanks guys!! Think I might be hooked on this now! :D

I'd love to make something like this, What did you use for the windowpanes?

Bought some doughnut boxes from Michaels and cut out the clear plastic. Was initially thinking of using plexiglass but it would have been too complicated to bend for the shopfront. Plus the doughnut boxes were like $5.

Well done! Thanks for posting. What did you use to carve the PaperClay after it dried?

I used an X-acto knife to carve the lines and then pried out the dried clay between them. Its really messy but fun to do :).

Not a big update, but I added a gas lamp to the building and inserted a micro led in there. Unfortunately the gorilla glue frosted the clear plastic a very pale white, but I think it can be fixed later with a bit of distressing.

Also started work on the window dressings (as the shop front will also be lit with leds), all of them were made out of an old technical pencil and a cocktail stick:

IMG_0749.jpg IMG_0750.jpg IMG_0746.JPG IMG_0748.JPG

Well folks, she's about done for now!

I wanted to add some wanted posters to the sides, and maybe a station sign too- but I'll probably add these another time.

It's hard to see inside the shop from the pics/video but in person it looks very convincing.

Thoroughly enjoyed this project and will be doing more in the coming year. I think I've found my new calling.

Enjoy, and Merry Christmas!!! Not bad for a cardboard box :lol

IMG_0894.JPG IMG_0896.jpg IMG_0900.jpgIMG_0906.jpgIMG_0907.JPGIMG_0905.JPGIMG_0904.JPGIMG_0903.JPGIMG_0902.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back