Percival Grave's wand from Fantastic Beasts

ATL Kenobi

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
My wife is currently sewing on a Percival Grave's outfit/costume, hopefully to be done by LeakyCon LA 2016. I plan to bring the suitcase I've been working on but I'd like to also have a reasonable wand. (BTW- Pierre Bohanna and Laurent Guinci are going to attend)

These are the 3 images I've found so far:
attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

I dragged the first image into AutoCad, scaled it the best I could and came up with this drawing:
attachment.png

I started by turning a 1/2" hardwood dowel into a long taper:
attachment.jpg

I plan to make it illuminated so there'll be an LED in the end. I'm using a broken laser pointer case as a battery holder. The nickel plated bit for the end isn't exactly right, but it's the closest thing I could find. It does thread on so if I find something more accurate later, I possibly can add it. It's considered Art Deco which was a popular style at the time.
attachment.jpg

Keep in mind that all the dimensions are my own and I could be way off. I suspect Nobel will be offering their version soon.

ATL

Attachments

• 1 wand.jpg
    1 wand.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,333
  • 4 spin real fast.jpg
    4 spin real fast.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 1,265
  • 5 pieces parts.jpg
    5 pieces parts.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 1,252
  • 6 wand dims.png
    6 wand dims.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 1,287
  • 2 percival wand.jpg
    2 percival wand.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,243
  • 3 percival wand.jpg
    3 percival wand.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,326
another marvellous job! again!

btw i fall in love with Seraphina's wand among those wands. cant wait to see it closer.

My wand is part of a Percival cosplay which we hope to have done by LeakyCon LA 2016. I'm putting fringe on a basket weave scarf, but also pictured is my wand in front of a reference image:
attachment.php

A close up of that image:
attachment.php

And I finished putting the LED in the end:
attachment.php

My finger is depressing a tiny switch.

ATL

Attachments

• 9 lit up.jpg
    9 lit up.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,252
  • 8 reference.jpg
    8 reference.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,263
  • 7 compare.jpg
    7 compare.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 1,305
Here's another good image of Percival's wand, plus a bunch of others:

attachment.php

ATL

Attachments

• SnipImage.JPG
    SnipImage.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 1,341
As mentioned, I know the pommel I'm using is not correct, but I did add a row of beads to it to make it somewhat closer:
attachment.php

I ordered the Noble Collection wand and it arrived very quickly. Here's the wand and it's box next to my replica.
attachment.php

The wand came in a very nice box, and obviously I didn't scale mine quite right. It's about 11% too small.

The Noble wand has all the fine quality and craftsmanship we've come to expect from items made in China.
attachment.php

Did I mention it comes in a nice box?
attachment.php

attachment.php

I also ordered the Seraphina Picquery wand. It's on back-order from Noble Collection, but I understand it might already be available from Barnes and Noble.

ATL

Attachments

• 12 Pommels.jpg
    12 Pommels.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 1,280
  • 13 box end.jpg
    13 box end.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,165
  • 14 box bottom.jpg
    14 box bottom.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,162
  • 10 added beads.jpg
    10 added beads.jpg
    595.8 KB · Views: 1,179
  • 11 Nobles wand.jpg
    11 Nobles wand.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,470
Last edited:
I ordered the Noble Collection wand and it arrived very quickly. Here's the wand and it's box next to my replica.
http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=682733&d=1479145085
The wand came in a very nice box, and obviously I didn't scale mine quite right. It's about 11% too small.

ATL

Well now that you own the Noble Collection one, I'll help you clear up some space your original may be taking up. You know just to help you out, You can go ahead and mail me the one you created. Should I PM you my address or just post it in this thread? Just looking out for you.

-Ash

Well now that you own the Noble Collection one, I'll help you clear up some space your original may be taking up. You know just to help you out, You can go ahead and mail me the one you created. Should I PM you my address or just post it in this thread? Just looking out for you.

-Ash

Ash thanks for thinking about me, I'll ah... get back to you on your suggestion. :)

Am i the only who thinks that yours is better Kenobi. Noble one looks like a toy comparing to yours haha. I love it!!!

Thanks lynx!!

ATL

I've just recently made a light up wand as well and I was curious how you ran the wiring to the LED in the tip using a real wooden shaft, it looks very clean

I've just recently made a light up wand as well and I was curious how you ran the wiring to the LED in the tip using a real wooden shaft, it looks very clean

I've made 3 illuminated wands; Snape, McGonagall, and Graves and fortunately all are painted black. Paint will cover a multitude of sins. :) For these wands, I simply drill an LED sized hole in the end (before I turn it on the lathe) and then cut a groove down the side with a Dremel.
attachment.php

After I place the wires in the groove, I'll mostly fill the groove and around the LED with 2-part epoxy and let that dry. I then fill the rest of the way with a wood filler, then sand and prime until it's smooth enough. Then I paint it.

I have tried several times to drill a long hole with an extra long drill bit in a wooden dowel, but inevitably it comes out the side. :(

For Hagrid's umbrella, I used the same technique, but the umbrella covers the groove for the most part and there is reasonably good oak wood filler.
attachment.php

If I were to make a non-painted wand, I would cut a small groove using a veining bit in 2 small rectangular pieces of hardwood. I'd then glue the two rectangles together to form a square, and then turn that on the lathe. Instant hole!

ATL

Attachments

• 15 Dremel groove.jpg
    15 Dremel groove.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 917
  • 16 Umbrella groove.jpg
    16 Umbrella groove.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 879
awesome! I appreciate the detailed response. I approached mine differently, unable to think of as elegant a design as yours :lol. I will probably make a thread for it eventually, but now I want to go make one in your style!

Interesting - According to the harrypotter.wikia site, Percivals wand is "inlaid with mother-of-pearl". :eek From the pictures, I can't tell that this is the case. If the pommel is actually mother-of-pearl, then it could be turned from a pen blank.

Hopefully someone will see the actual prop at an exhibition, and take some good pictures. Please feel free to post them here.

Sort of a moot point since Percival won't be returning to the sequel.
:(

ATL

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back