Leia Endor Costume - Great Project w/ Poncho Problem

dave

Hey all. Part of this thread is about showing off my kid's Halloween costume I built for her this year. The other part is to find a solution to a major problem.

I'll get the problem out of the way. It has to do with the poncho. Following various instructions online, I sprayed it with Krylon spray paint, which is advertised as safe and effective for fabric. The fabric is regular cotton from a fabric store. The problem I'm having is that, even after washing, the paint seems to be rubbing off fairly easily when I wipe it with a paper towel. It's very light, but it happens. It also has these little "nubs" or flakes that appear. Almost like when you wet wood and fibers get raised. Is there any way to fix this, or keep it from rubbing off at least? I would hate to ruin some other kid's outfit if she bumps up against them.

Here's the project....

collage-2.jpg

PKyupj1.jpg

Attachments

• _DSC8482.jpg
    _DSC8482.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 178
  • 20171003_155045.jpg
    20171003_155045.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 135
Seems like you have to seal the paint on your fabric. There’s a 3m Scotch guard spray, usually used to prevent clothes to get wet or stained, you could try that out.
I’ve never tried on a costume, but i did on a not so clean jacket, and i think basically sealed the stains on it forever...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I made my commando I use fabric paint in the spray bottles.

I have also use regular spray paint and ran it through a shower and scrub with a Scotchbrite pad to remove excess and fade it.

When I made my commando I use fabric paint in the spray bottles.

I have also use regular spray paint and ran it through a shower and scrub with a Scotchbrite pad to remove excess and fade it.

And you had no issues afterward? I think I will try that out next. Does it matter hot or cold water?

- - - Updated - - -

Seems like you have to seal the paint on your fabric. There’s a 3m Scotch guard spray, usually used to prevent clothes to get wet or stained, you could try that out.
I’ve never tried on a costume, but i did on a not so clean jacket, and i think basically sealed the stains on it forever...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the shower option doesn't work, I might try this. Just worried that it won't be breathable.

You could also try using acrylics, I've had lots of experience with acrylics on fabric (none intentional) and once dry it's pretty much impossible to get out and I've never had it flake or rub off either.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back