Jurassic Park Can Shape

eamoroso25

Hey guys! Hopefully, no one is buying up items like what this guy is selling.
He's a scammer. Selling inaccurate Barbasol cans for 150 when he got them in a store and emptied it out for a buck! lol

MOD EDIT: ebay link removed.

Remember, the screen accurate cans are straight and do not taper towards the top like the newer cans. And even those straight cans can be found for 30 or cheaper with a little hard work and help from this forum like I received! Thank you all!

(There, I changed the title to appease the ones who really cared)

Last edited:
Re: Jurassic Park can rip offs

My purpose on here is to help people find a more screen accurate SHAPED can and where to find the accurate label to stick on here.
Oh, you're just talking about the correct shape. I thought you were referring to the correct can (so correct shape and label). It's like stated before: the fact that the original can doesn't taper at the top, was only discovered not so long ago. Before that, the only than that was known, was that the correct can had "11oz" as content, while this was later changed to "10oz" on the Barbasol can. So the "11oz" with tapered top where the most accurate available (also the ones Rylo used).

So not so long ago it was noticed on very high resolution images (4K I guess?) that the can is actually not tapered on the top. But the non-tapered cans with the correct printing would be almost impossible to find, I think.

But I'm interested to see where I could find the correct shaped one (even without the correct label). Please let me (or us) know! Don't know if I'd prefer a correct shaped one with fake label, over the correct labeled one with tapered top, though...

Exactly. Can we get some pics? To hell with this "feel free to PM me" crap.

https://i.imgur.com/6Rnl7P0.jpg

Here are the images...I take no credit for these pics as "shadeone" posted these examples in another thread. I am sharing the listing for where the cans are found as you stated in your rules that eBay listing live links are not allowed. So thus the "PM me crap" that you found another issue with. If you want to know where to buy, I will send you the link.
These are the differences in cans. Left image is the newer and less accurate shape. RIght image is straight from the film. It's a matter of choice. I found a greater amount like myself prefer the accurate shape and new label. Although, you can get lucky and sometimes find the accurate shaped can with the accurate original label. Just takes more searching time.

lKbP9x.jpgraAcGR.png

Can the blue top/cap of the barbasol can be easily removed,
to replace the white top/cap from the right can, you think ?

Update: Never mind I just looked at the video again and it simply pops off :facepalm

The next item would be the most accurate and quality printable label.

OK, who took the last Yardley of London can on ebay???

Jeez, I'm not sure I even want in on this thread, but here goes:

You guys want pics, I'll give you pics.

These are two cans I've found on ebay in the last month (for less than $25 total), and a modern day can.
lMXzhBc

lMXzhBc

lMXzhBc.jpg

So, as you can see, not only are the sides different, but the white cap is different as well. The older, screen accurate cans have a more bulbous cap compared to the smoother modern day caps.

I've only been looking in to the cans for a few weeks so in no way am I considering myself an expert, this is just what I've found to be accurate. And a lot of you already know this, but for those who don't:

Practically every company selling shaving cream in the 80s and the early 90s (maybe even earlier) used these style of cans. Just as it is today, these style of cans were mass produced in varying sizes and for varying purposes. I have found Barbasol, Colgate, Old Spice, Brut, etc. as well as knockoff brands such as Pay less and the above mentioned Yardley of London all in the correct shape/style. It's been pointed out to me that whipped cream cans and spray paint cans from this era were also manufactured in the same way, although at larger sizes than the 11 oz we want for this prop (However, if you're cutting the bottom off anyway you can always just trim it to the correct size).

Point being, finding an accurately SHAPED can that you can throw an aftermarket label on is pretty easy once you know what to look for and look past the factory label. They pop up on ebay pretty frequently. Finding one in good condition is more difficult, but patience and diligence will eventually pay off.

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I won't find THE blue and red barbasol can used in the film. So for me, the shape of the can (and a replica label) played a bigger part in recreating the prop more than an inaccurate shape with an authentic factory label. YMMV.

For what it's worth, there's store brand whipped cream cans that also have the correct shape. Sure they're too tall and the nozzle is wrong, but they have to be cut down and have the nozzle swapped anyway.

54dcc5bf-0ee3-45e0-a3a1-0cd8447e5482_1.17934a36fa3cdd3e46c5ed89699bd655.jpeg

Thanks.

I just wish I'd remembered those cans before I pulled the trigger on that eBay shaving cream can. The whipped cream is way cheaper.

He is correct. I had been on ebay searching for a while as well before even asking around. I guess I just didnt realize how many different search phrases needed to be used and how many different tabs should be open to find a can faster. I had just been using one tab and one or two search phrases. You really have to expand your wording to find the right cans though and then with patience, the search becomes easier.

OK, who took the last Yardley of London can on ebay???

Jeez, I'm not sure I even want in on this thread, but here goes:

You guys want pics, I'll give you pics.

These are two cans I've found on ebay in the last month (for less than $25 total), and a modern day can.
https://imgur.com/lMXzhBc
https://imgur.com/lMXzhBc
https://i.imgur.com/lMXzhBc.jpg

So, as you can see, not only are the sides different, but the white cap is different as well. The older, screen accurate cans have a more bulbous cap compared to the smoother modern day caps.

I've only been looking in to the cans for a few weeks so in no way am I considering myself an expert, this is just what I've found to be accurate. And a lot of you already know this, but for those who don't:

Practically every company selling shaving cream in the 80s and the early 90s (maybe even earlier) used these style of cans. Just as it is today, these style of cans were mass produced in varying sizes and for varying purposes. I have found Barbasol, Colgate, Old Spice, Brut, etc. as well as knockoff brands such as Pay less and the above mentioned Yardley of London all in the correct shape/style. It's been pointed out to me that whipped cream cans and spray paint cans from this era were also manufactured in the same way, although at larger sizes than the 11 oz we want for this prop (However, if you're cutting the bottom off anyway you can always just trim it to the correct size).

Point being, finding an accurately SHAPED can that you can throw an aftermarket label on is pretty easy once you know what to look for and look past the factory label. They pop up on ebay pretty frequently. Finding one in good condition is more difficult, but patience and diligence will eventually pay off.

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I won't find THE blue and red barbasol can used in the film. So for me, the shape of the can (and a replica label) played a bigger part in recreating the prop more than an inaccurate shape with an authentic factory label. YMMV.

- - - Updated - - -

The accurate label is very easy to find. I know Paul Elder and he sells them for dirt cheap on Etsy every so often. He's a good guy.

Can the blue top/cap of the barbasol can be easily removed,
to replace the white top/cap from the right can, you think ?

Update: Never mind I just looked at the video again and it simply pops off :facepalm

The next item would be the most accurate and quality printable label.

Does anyone know if paper decal or vinyl would work best? I know the video looks like a gloss print from a computer, but I wonder if that will fade with light over time? Maybe printing with non fade ink in a gloss vinyl could solve that.

Hmmmm.... or maybe paint the can white, then do a water slide graphic. Then once set and dry, a couple coats of clear gloss over the decal.

Last edited:
Ink jet printers might be more susceptible to fade because they use liquid ink. If you use a gloss label with a LASER printer, you might get longer lasting results because it's not a liquid ink.

Ink jet printers might be more susceptible to fade because they use liquid ink. If you use a gloss label with a LASER printer, you might get longer lasting results because it's not a liquid ink.

:thumbsup

This thread sucks! :lol
Because of this thread, now everyone knows to hunt these down. I have spent the last few hours searching online and on eBay and it looks like they all suddenly got marked “sold” today. They all got snapped up. :(

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back