Which Star Wars DVD set is the closest thing to an unaltered version of original?

I really don't care, I've bought the original trilogy several times over in several formats, but I did get a copy many, many years ago of the original theatrical releases, including Star Wars without the Episode IV. The quality isn't great but it never bothered me to watch.

well, now that Disney owns Fox and thus the distribution rights for the original trilogy, surely we're due to finally get a Blu-Ray / 4K re-release of the unaltered editions... right?

I think so. The 4K masters are cheap for them, printing/packaging discs are cheap for them too. It would basically be easy money.

And the audio....

Hmm...? If you have the remastered THX edition, while the picture will be no better than any mass produced VHS tape of the day, the sound is near CD quality. Then, assuming your audio gear is in the proper mode (Pro Logic or Pro Logic II, which provides a virtually discrete soundfield from any stereo source), the sound should be comparable to, or exceed that of any movie theater of the time. In fact, it should sound better than the DVD, as it features full range audio instead of data reduced audio using an algorithm which assumes what you can't hear and throws it out.

And regarding the picture quality: You are playing your DVDs on a DVD player, right? Apart from a slight top to bottom compression of the image, it displays just fine on my TV. While it's an older non-4k set, it does okay.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back