Prop Production tutorials

Cadena

So ive been looking around about How-to build props for anything; nothing particular. And I know someone is going to mention Youtube as a good source; but not for props - mainly for scuptures and sculpting. However there arent many videos on how to build props on Youtube and the ones that are on youtube end up looking like a five year old made it. So I was wondering if there are any good quality videos or tutorials on how to make props somewhere else that anyone knows of?

any and all help is welcomed and appreciated.

So ive been looking around about How-to build props for anything; nothing particular. And I know someone is going to mention Youtube as a good source; but not for props - mainly for scuptures and sculpting. However there arent many videos on how to build props on Youtube and the ones that are on youtube end up looking like a five year old made it. So I was wondering if there are any good quality videos or tutorials on how to make props somewhere else that anyone knows of?

any and all help is welcomed and appreciated.
Read, read, read! Honestly, I've learned more techniques and tips from reading over threads that have nothing to do with anything I'd do, than finding specific information. If you want to do mods, then bondo and filler are your friend. Casting? Learn how to do molds and resin.

You'll get there, just don't give up and try!

Read, read, read! Honestly, I've learned more techniques and tips from reading over threads that have nothing to do with anything I'd do, than finding specific information.

Understood. I guess I'll have to grind away at all the forums; its just that I learn better from hands-on or watching videos than reading. But regardless, if that where the information is at then I'll get myself used to reading forums. You gotta go to the information, cant just expect the information to come straight to you, right?

If you want to do mods, then bondo and filler are your friend. Casting? Learn how to do molds and resin.

You'll get there, just don't give up and try!

I'm not sure the direction I want to head in - in the long term; but I know for the time being I want to learn to model props and create castings. So thanks for that information.

Last edited:
The thing about Prop Production is that there is many, many ways to create them.
A prop can be anything the production company is looking for and fits the budget.
Re-purposing stuff, sculpting, casting, vacuum-forming, painting, plating, hand making with various materials
(resin, plastic, metal, styrene, 3D printing, etc.), using multiple skills using machine and hand tools to complete.
Electronics and Animatronics is another factor to consider.
I guess a good place to start would be to focus on one or two aspect that interest you and then add to your skill level as you go.

Understood. Yea for the most part from what I've seen on Youtube; its just tutorials on how to make props from EVA foam. :cry The PunishedProps channel that Valor recommended is a good channel but uncommon to find.

Last edited by a moderator:
I reckon it depends a bit on what you want to build. And there are several ways to build the same prop, some easier than others but it depends on your existing skill set. Can you give an example of what you would like to replicate?

Adam Savage recommends starting with papercraft. There are lots of free designs available to play with, and you only need some way to print them, scissors and glue.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back