Mjolnir "The Dark World" replica - new paint job & weathering

Filandrius

Sr Member
Hey everyone!

After looking at those chinese Mjolnir replicas that are available on eBay and Aliexpress, I stumbled upon the metal ones with "leather" handle and strap. Even if it's a bit pricey, the weight alone is worth it, IMHO. Having owned a Cattoys resin replica, this one really looks like it's made from the same molds, except cast in metal (zinc, most likely) with fake leather covering the handle.

Anyway, once I got over the awesome heft, I took upon myself to weather it so that it's a little more accurate (mainly, the metal was too dull and the "leather" was too light-colored) I polished the handle rings, washed the handle leather with black acrylic, replaced the strap with real leather of the correct color, and weathered the head with several washes to match the weathering of the screen-used hammer as much as possible. Then I clear-coated the head and buffed it to bring out the shine.

Attachments

• IMG_0602.JPG
    IMG_0602.JPG
    956.2 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_0599.JPG
    IMG_0599.JPG
    968.5 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_0598.JPG
    IMG_0598.JPG
    931 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_0597.JPG
    IMG_0597.JPG
    902.8 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_0592.JPG
    IMG_0592.JPG
    926.6 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_0591.JPG
    IMG_0591.JPG
    957.3 KB · Views: 383
A few more pics, up close this time, to show the details. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1274.JPG
    IMG_1274.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 262
  • IMG_1275.JPG
    IMG_1275.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 267
  • IMG_1276.JPG
    IMG_1276.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 247
  • IMG_1277.JPG
    IMG_1277.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 255
  • IMG_1278.JPG
    IMG_1278.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 242
  • IMG_1279.JPG
    IMG_1279.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 239
  • IMG_1281.JPG
    IMG_1281.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 233
  • IMG_1283.JPG
    IMG_1283.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 230
Hey everyone!

After looking at those chinese Mjolnir replicas that are available on eBay and Aliexpress, I stumbled upon the metal ones with "leather" handle and strap. Even if it's a bit pricey, the weight alone is worth it, IMHO. Having owned a Cattoys resin replica, this one really looks like it's made from the same molds, except cast in metal (zinc, most likely) with fake leather covering the handle.

Anyway, once I got over the awesome heft, I took upon myself to weather it so that it's a little more accurate (mainly, the metal was too dull and the "leather" was too light-colored) I polished the handle rings, washed the handle leather with black acrylic, replaced the strap with real leather of the correct color, and weathered the head with several washes to match the weathering of the screen-used hammer as much as possible. Then I clear-coated the head and buffed it to bring out the shine.
Great work!!

I just got mine last week and was thinking of doing a bit of an overhaul on it.
Couple of questions:
. What did you use to polish the handle rings?
. Did you remove the handle leather to wash it?
. What did you use to weather the head?

Again, great looking mjolnir!! :)

Great work!!

I just got mine last week and was thinking of doing a bit of an overhaul on it.
Couple of questions:
. What did you use to polish the handle rings?
. Did you remove the handle leather to wash it?
. What did you use to weather the head?

Again, great looking mjolnir!! :)

Thanks for the kind words. :)

- Buffed them with Blue Magic metal polish until they were as close to a mirror finish as possible.
- Nope, washed it straight on the handle, using a rag to remove the excess.
- Tamiya flat black acrylic paint, diluted in water. To achieve the "burnt" effect I misted the diluted acrylic indirectly with Windex (because ammonia dissolves Tamiya paints) again using a rag removing the excess. I repeated the process until I was satisfied with the finish.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back