Pacific Rim Ground Crew Costumes

Banzai88

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Thanks to Prop Store, I can see the elements required for this CRIMSON TYPHOON CREW costume. There are several to choose from, but chose this one with RED coveralls as opposed to the others with ORANGE flight suits. It appears to have zippers sewn on top of the legs; not even bothering to make them appear as pockets.

img01_zps15fb2127.jpg

Got the Alpha MA-1. There are cheaper knock-offs, but this one comes with the AI logo and painted zipper.

AI-MA-1-MAROON_zps2f336fe9.jpg

Since this ground crew version lacks any graphics on the front, I may make it like the PILOT jacket.

CT_PILOTJACKET_zpsede98866.jpg

Still undecided about the best solution for the graphic on the jacket back. First thought was vinyl stencil and air-brush or rattlecan orange paint.

CT-JKT_BK_zpsf5f50004.jpg

Posted INTEREST Thread on the patches HERE

PPDC-LINE-UP_zpsbb35e480.jpg

I found a good used pair of coverall as a base. Not completely accurate, but continuing the search.

WALLS_zps477ca06d.jpg

The belt I used is Rothco Men's Ultra Force Vintage Belt which will need to be dyed orange. There are non-branded alternatives.

RothcoUltraForceVintageBelt4171-01_zps5bb7e987.jpg

The vest is by Pioneer; closest I could find is this Wilderness Pro which will need to be dyed orange.

VESTS_zpsf313761f.jpg

Still searching for these pouches:

POUCHES_zps533c4fb0.jpg

Since the film was shot in Toronto, it looks like the costume department raided Canadian Surplus stores for many of these crew costumes. A friend who is collecting parts for a Cherno Alpha crew costume found the pants for his particular version; Canadian Wind pants.

CA-PANTS_zpsed8ab2db.jpg

His pouches are also Canadian.

CA-POUCHES_zps55246d2d.jpg

The boots appear to be Canadian Force MK3 Boots. They are becoming scarce so I'm using plain black leather work boots.

MK3-ALTS_zps04175e60.jpg

Last edited:
I'm considering getting the patches in plain black. I'm unsure if there is a paint which will adhere to it?

I am also making one of these, the Cherno one, though I went with the thinner Burnett jacket from Alpha as it looks just like the MA-1 just not as thick since I live in FL and it will never get cold enough for that jacket .

For the back detail I am going to do vinyl stencil and airbrush paints.

We're going to remove the insulation from the MA-1 jackets as we are in So Cal. Lmk how the stencil turns out. Did you locate the pants?

A note on the ID tags.
All the Grey ID's are Hong Kong (art book), the white one's are Alaska. (unlike what some of the auctions said)
Accept for the pilots the details are the same accept for the photo and color band at the bottom also the number in the lower left.

Bottom colors
Blue - Gipsy Danger
Green - Striker Eureka
Red - Cherno Alpha, Crimson Typhoon, Scientists, Shatterdome workers.

Pilots appear to have a alternate logo where the others have the PPDC bird.
Haven't seen any good pix of what they are yet.
They also don't have the number in the lower left corner unlike the 2 in the art book.

Amusing that in the crowd shots many of the ID's didn't match the person wearing them.
Women with Men's pictures, Asians with Caucasian photos, etc.

Thanks division6--this will help. Been trying to make sense of all the different ID badges. Will be creating a Photoshop file for my CT crew soon.

Found the ID holders:

ID_HOLDER_zps777b0fb6.jpg

Search for Molded Rigid Plastic Convertible Card Holder.

A note on the ID tags.
All the Grey ID's are Hong Kong (art book), the white one's are Alaska. (unlike what some of the auctions said)
Accept for the pilots the details are the same accept for the photo and color band at the bottom also the number in the lower left.

Bottom colors
Blue - Gipsy Danger
Green - Striker Eureka
Red - Cherno Alpha, Crimson Typhoon, Scientists, Shatterdome workers.

Pilots appear to have a alternate logo where the others have the PPDC bird.
Haven't seen any good pix of what they are yet.
They also don't have the number in the lower left corner unlike the 2 in the art book.

Amusing that in the crowd shots many of the ID's didn't match the person wearing them.
Women with Men's pictures, Asians with Caucasian photos, etc.

I've had a source for the card holders bookmarked for several months.

I did a Alaska base ID a while ago just off screen caps so I need to update it with the auction pix.
For my personal ID's I changed some of the text.
Need to print one up to attach to my rucksack. :D

Unlike the ID's in the art book all the photos are in b&w.

I'm still looking for a source for the correct white overalls to do the Alaska crew outfit.
Real pain since it has leather on the arms and knee's.
I was bummed that the graphics on them are black and not blue like they appear in the film.
Del Toro color coded everything in post.

Yeah I'm not gonna use the art book ID's for accuracy; they chose the wrong 'bird' using the one with straight wings instead on angled wings.

ID-BADGE-DIF_zps8c2c8785.jpg

The only real difference I see on the PILOT badge is the graphic where the green arrow points. Hope to see that clearer even though I'm not making a pilot ID.

Post up a pic of the coveralls you're seeking. I'll keep an eye out. Also, the leather could have been modified on during production.
I'm looking for some with these angled exterior pockets:

RED_LEGS_zps143f4c17.jpg

Unlike the ID's in the art book all the photos are in b&w.

I'm still looking for a source for the correct white overalls to do the Alaska crew outfit.
Real pain since it has leather on the arms and knee's.
I was bummed that the graphics on them are black and not blue like they appear in the film.
Del Toro color coded everything in post.

I found something really close to the white ones and they may just be a more modern version of the c.1956. Vintage BIG MAC Sanfordized White Denim Coveralls by Penney's
All the pockets are correct.
No way I'm paying $320 for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't find any leather on this one?

The knees and forearms have suede on them.
They just look like reinforced fabric until you look close.

IIRC there where 3 or 4 auctioned off.

That pouch will probably be mustard yellow (you can see it's just painted)
I have a 3 pouch that is similar accept it has snaps instead of the loop and webbing.

Try South African first then if not then British.

Its a little off topic, but anyone identify the cadet sweater or LOCCENT crew shirt? I've looked through a lot of commando sweaters, but that shoulder design is really specific...

Can you post a pic of this 3 pouch?

That pouch will probably be mustard yellow (you can see it's just painted)
I have a 3 pouch that is similar accept it has snaps instead of the loop and webbing.

Try South African first then if not then British.

I also searched for this sweater, and you're right it does resemble a commando sweater. The costume designers may have modified them to make them their own.

Its a little off topic, but anyone identify the cadet sweater or LOCCENT crew shirt? I've looked through a lot of commando sweaters, but that shoulder design is really specific...

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back