Obi-Wan Kenobi - Revenge of the Sith - Costume Build Collaboration - Pic Heavy

Graphic Jordan

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Obi-Wan Kenobi - Revenge of the Sith - Costume Build Collaboration

This costume is the collaboration of the wickedly talented @SMP Designs. We've worked on many projects in the past, you can see a lot of our work on his websites portfolio at: http://smpdesigns.com/portfolio/

This will be the second time I've done Obi-Wan's costume from Episode 3, you can see my first iteration here.

1 Obi.jpg

Flash-forward 5 years to my newest build with @SMP Designs.

Sean will be building all the soft-parts of the costume. Inner tunic, outer tunic, tabards, and obi.

I'll be responsible for the boots (scratch made), belt and it's accessories (scratch made).

I've already purchased a Romans Props Inception Elite lightsaber, and did the install myself. It features a Prizm v5.1 board, NeCree RGB led, recharge port, 18650 battery, 28mm Railmaster speaker, kill key, Goth Padawan Chassis. I've got a few fonts installed, and can cycle through all the colors of the rainbow, etc.

Both Sean (SMP Designs) and I will be adding to this thread as progression is made.

Here are a few photos of the work in progress thusly.

Various WIP photos of the inner and outer tunics, obi, and fabric which we've custom dyed.

6 Obi.jpg3 Obi.jpg4 Obi.jpg5 Obi.jpg2 Obi.jpg

Boots, WIP

7 Obi.jpg

Belt, WIP

8 Obi.jpg

I 3D modeled, printed, and have cleaned up my own functioning pouches for the belt, WIP

9 Obi.jpg

Lightsaber, I've upgraded the clamp card to a Slothfurnace one since this photo was taken.

10 Obi.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Obi-Wan Kenobi - Revenge of the Sith - Costume Build Collaboration

Hi everyone! I'm going to chime in at Graphic Jordan's request to give some more details on the project. I'm working on the soft parts on this one, so I'll be covering Some of these pics you've already seen, but I'm going to repeat them as I run through the process.

The first step was to source the fabrics. For the inner tunic, I found a dark brown woven poly/cotton blend with a linen-type finish locally and for the outer tunic, I purchased the ever-popular gauze that most people use from Fabric.com. This was a bit bright so I knocked the color down a bit with some tea. There's also a version of the fabric in a color called "champagne" that looks close right off the bolt. However, we already had the ivory, so I made that work. The lining for the outer tunic is a lightweight ivory taffeta.

Here are the fabrics together and the gauze post-tea bath.

fabrics.JPGfabrics-2.jpg

I then started drafting the patterns. I started with the inner tunic as the base pattern and created a muslin mock up for Jordan to try on. We didn't get pics of this stage, but he marked up the pattern and sent it back with his notes. Once the pattern was altered, I got started on the inner tunic.

This piece requires attention in two main areas: the collar and the sleeves. I decided to work top down, and started with the collar. The collar has a finished width of 2" at the back and 3" at the front ends and features 3 pleats and was built by stitching the pleated fabric to a dark brown cotton base. This was then pressed down and folded over.

inner-tunic-1.JPG

The body was built next and was self-lined to give it weight to support the collar and sleeves.

inner-tunic-2.JPG

The sleeves have a 'rumpled' look from the elbow down. In order to keep them from wanting to fall down over Jordan's hands, I decided to create the 'rumples' by sewing the sleeves onto a cotton base with some very loose ruching. I cut the base of the sleeve to fit and then basted the fabric from the elbow up to the cotton base.

inner-tunic-3.JPG

I then took the extra length and ruched it up the lower arm and stitched it down and finished the cuff edge.

inner-tunic-4.JPG

When finished, the sleeves has the 'rumples' permanently spaced up the arm and there's no worry about having to constantly pull it up.

inner-tunic-5.jpg

I then moved on to the outer tunic. The pattern for the outer tunic was created using the inner pattern as a starting point. The main things to adjust were the drop of the collar, the width of the shoulders (to accommodate the pleats), the 'skirt' fullness and length and the fullness of the sleeves.

outer-tunic-2.JPGouter-tunic-3.JPG

I made a mock up of the outer tunic and sent it to Jordan along with the finished inner tunic for a test fit.

fitting-2.JPGfitting-1.JPG

He sent them back to me with his notes and the next step will be cutting and assembling the outer tunic. Stay tuned!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back