TFA Graflex Research (That's a Graflex, right? Force Awakens teaser trailer #2)

It's generally assumed the grips were fabricated in house, be it via 3D printing, casting, extrusion, or some other means. None of the known t-track suppliers have come forward claiming they sold their material to Foodles.

View attachment 704621

I mean this thing here. I have absolutely no idea what to call it.. just where the bulb makes contact. :)

Hey Mr Mold Maker ! That's a 'Contact Plunger'. Or "Plunger - Contact"

I love using this reference when talking about the GRAFLEX...

GRAFLEX - MANUAL - 01.jpg

GRAFLEX - MANUAL - 02.jpg

GRAFLEX - MANUAL - 03.jpg

GRAFLEX - MANUAL - 04.jpg

Page 3, No 25882 is the one you're talking about. Enjoy! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not, erm... really mine per se. Maybe they found their way here via some big auction site via somehow or other, so, um, nope I don't mind. I think that's grey enough. Just don't ever sell the images unless you buy the manual and scan your own images from it. I think the copyright on the original is long since expired. Technically I think the seller of the manual would have copyright over these particular images since they took them, but not over the manual itself. I'm just sharing them here because I love GRAFLEX-speak, and I hope to help further educate my fellow Star Wars geeks! ;) If you were to alter and cut and paste the relevant portions of the images out (and onto a new Star Warsy backdrop/border for instance), that would make those new images yours and you should be covered copyright-law-wise.

They could have printed a master, cleaned it and then cast duplicates. Much less work than cleaning individual prints for each track. Still absolutely bonkers compared to just getting sets from someone here on this very site.

The type of printers they're using don't require any kind of clean up...

Not, erm... really mine per se. Maybe they found their way here via some big auction site via somehow or other, so, um, nope I don't mind. I think that's grey enough. Just don't ever sell the images unless you buy the manual and scan your own images from it. I think the copyright on the original is long since expired. Technically I think the seller of the manual would have copyright over these particular images since they took them, but not over the manual itself. I'm just sharing them here because I love GRAFLEX-speak, and I hope to help further educate my fellow Star Wars geeks! ;) If you were to alter and cut and paste the relevant portions of the images out (and onto a new Star Warsy backdrop/border for instance), that would make those new images yours and you should be covered copyright-law-wise.

I'll keep an eye out and try to find some scanned versions somehow, preferably somewhere I can talk to whoever scanned it :) I never put any thought to manuals, but this is a wonderful resource!

For now I'll write down a bit of it as plain text, eventually I'll hopefully find some visuals to go with it :)

Been procrastinating working on one of my original ideas for the Graflex Bank - listing all the components of the flash, what they do, what they're called and what they're referred to in the saber community, as well as parts like the calculator bubbles, circuit card and any other parts that may have been used for the saber. This is just the boost I needed to get going!

Just bought replacement grips from Roy. One of my less well-informed friends was handling the Graflex and remarked that the Roman grips looked off. If he noticed, I figured it was time for an upgrade.

So now I am faced with a few questions. Do I use rivets vs. screws? How will I accurately line the grips up for epoxying? How will I cut them without screwing it up? What is the best way to get the cutout for the rivets/screws?

Still considering a conversion down the road. I at least want to do a reveal chamber when I have enough money for the metal parts on shapeways.

For the cut outs on the 2 I did I used a dremel set up in the drill press attachment.
Used double stick tape to place all the pieces on some cardboard
Taped down a strip of wood on the drill press base as a guide.
Once the proper depth was set, ran them through.

Also used the drill press to make the holes for the screws I used.

I used a razor saw to cut the lengths.

For adding the grips I used more double sided tape.
Placed the bottom of the tube on end, place a piece of metal I had that was the correct height next to it for the spacing from the bottom.
To get it straight I used a 30/60/90 triangle placed on table and tube.

Last edited:
Wow, great suggestions, thanks! I might have to get that drill press, not a bad price for all the work I'll put it through.

I don't know of any 3D printer at any price, be it a few thousand to a few hundred thousand, than can produce anything as smooth (ready to go) as a nicely cast, injection moulded or extruded part. :)

Fair call, but have you seen how good Weta's 3d print job was on Ghost in the Shell? Specifically: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxUoqIrXd9E
afaik, the only post-production work done on the see-through print was a clear coat.

That's about the best you can get on the desktop after a ton of tweaking, but it still wouldn't be as good as an extruded or injection molded part. And it would be painfully slow to do grips - totally counter intuitive to use that technology to produce something so readily available. Maybe one good print, then touch-ups, then mold and cast the rest. But it still would have been easier to just get the parts "off the shelf" from Roy for example.

The Ghost in the Shell stuff linked above is OK, but not as fine as for example a detailed 1/6 scale human head (skin texture, etc..) For T-Track there can't be any micro grain or texture whatsoever, and from most printers than means treatment after printing at the very least.

That said, I'd be happy with quality approaching that from the Form 2 for most saber parts instead of the abysmal sand-like garbage Shapeways sells. :)

Last edited:
That said, I'd be happy with quality approaching that from the Form 2 for most saber parts instead of the abysmal sand-like garbage Shapeways sells. :)[/QUOTE]
Yeah. No clue why it is printed like that.

I have made my lightsaber off of an original Graflex 3 cell hilt. I am missing the "beer tab" under the top red button. My Graflex never had this from what I recall. It was years in between obtaining the Graflex while at LucasFilm and completing the lightsaber look.

Anyone know why some of them wouldn't have this tab? I assume the tab is an original component.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the ESB version does NOT have the tab, correct? I just don't recall removing mine ever.

The Graflex is original and has all the other telltale signs of being so.

Perfect in every other way.

Thanks in advance,
-J

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back