Zvezda Star Destroyer - My turn

The remote was only $10 and simply plugs in between your LEDs and power supply. Super simple and works great!

Yes it is. There are only four wires. One set goes to you LED circuit the other goes to you power supply. Normally you would have an on/off switch there on one wire. With this its on both wires. The only think is the system is infra red so the receiver needs to be exposed. I just filed a notch in the trench to glue it in place. It's the size of a match head.

Should be an awesome build with all the opened up bays etc.. can't wait to see some WIP shots!

As for the Ties, I roughly sized one out and I think they are borderline too small to print very well. But I don't know how accurate my numbers were. If any of you guys have some reliable dimensions I can see what that would come out and if it's printable. If anything, maybe clusters of Ties on a rack might be more feasible. But I suspect the solar panels would look ridiculously thick at that scale. More suited to photoetch probably.

Bill

Somebody had some posted the tiny TIEs on a RPF thread earlier- I am still trying to find it.

I opened up a couple of bays but did not get photos yet-
This is the perfect excuse to use my new micro-LEDs
7HvCPgH.jpg

That's what I used. Mine are on SUPER thin magnet wire though, very flexible.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2yp0tjn.jpg

Picos?

Also Robiwon, I noticed you drilled out 3 holes in the tops of the lattice roof of the underside hangar bay in that above shot. Are you planning on using FO to cast light across the ceiling or are you looking at LED strips to blast light in there? I was thinking I would have to carve out slats where you have holes and erect LED light strip on both sides of that box to approximate the look we see in Jedi.

If you have tested that look with the 3 holes at the top of each concave - and it works, I am wondering if that may be an easier option for me to approach rather than cutting out slats.

Right now I am pondering removing both ventral bays and remounting them- I would like them to be a bit deeper and I want to add control room and a ship alcove/storage to the forward/reverse ends. If I do that it would be easier to add the lighting I am thinking- essentially replace everything but the ceiling track grid...

Check out the FB group, as someone on there posted pics of their surgery on the main hangar. They opened the rear and forward bay doors and added the landing bays without removing the whole structure. It's going to be messy if you open that can of worms, and it may not be necessary.

Yes invar I'm using a fiber optic in each hole. The underside will rarely be seen so not doing major surgery on THIS build......

;)

I do have one big question- does anybody know what these call outs say?

http://i.imgur.com/dCTfGuh.jpg

Regarding the callouts in Russian, my Ruskii yazik is pretty rusty, but most of this is basically transiterated from the in-universe English names of the various doo-dads.

The Top Plan Image:
Turbolaser Turrets
Ion Canon
(no idea on the third one)
Systems for Ion Canon
Computer system for Turbolasers

The Portside Profile Image:
Bridge
Computer Systems for Turbolasers
(Not sure on this one)
Solar Ionization Reactor

Fore and Aft Profiles:
Communications Tower
Shield Generators
(No idea but probably "garbage chute" just cause I've seen the movie)
Ion engines
Ion Engines for Emergency Situations.

I hope that helps!

--Alex

Finally got some modeling time in- added a bunch of tiny detail to the superstructure parts and built a prototype of the Upper Deck Bays. This one is a TIE Bay, I tried to emulate the vertical ribs we have seen before, launch rack will be figured out once the 3D printed TIEs arrive from Shapeways.
pvlXNsX.jpg

Had to put things on hold for a bit- right now my work area is filled with car parts as I am trying to get my Pontiac drive-able before the end of this week.

This is very frustrating- I have all the stuff ready to go and I could really use the 'being in the zone' build therapy.

Regarding the callouts in Russian, my Ruskii yazik is pretty rusty, but most of this is basically transiterated from the in-universe English names of the various doo-dads.

The Top Plan Image:
Turbolaser Turrets
Ion Canon
(no idea on the third one) control center/missile launch section
Systems for Ion Canon
Computer system for Turbolasers

The Portside Profile Image:
Bridge
Computer Systems for Turbolasers
(Not sure on this one Additional launch center
Solar Ionization Reactor

Fore and Aft Profiles:
Communications Tower
Shield Generators
(No idea but probably "garbage chute" just cause I've seen the movie) Hatch for waste disposal
Ion engines
Ion Engines for Emergency Situations.

I hope that helps!

--Alex

Just added translations for the few uncertain phrases (courtesy of Google Translate!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the additional translations!

Progress on this kit has slowed somewhat- I am currently adding hundreds of tiny styrene chips to the superstructure pieces while they are still on the sprue.
My son is doing the same, working on his Revell ISD. Great fun working side by side with him- this is what I enjoy most about building, not just having a finished build on the shelf...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back