Wonder Woman

Not spoilers but don't read on if you don't want my reaction!

It was beautiful. Y'all know I prefer DCEU anyhow but that is irrelevant to why I thought this was great. As a standalone film, it's solid. The first two thirds had me all over the place emotionally, with brilliant hero moments, natural comedy, and warm characters that you get behind. The third act unfortunately just didn't work as well as I would have liked it to, but it was still fine. I don't think there's any part of the movie that was "bad" whatever that means. And there are so many moments to just enjoy and revel in. She kicks complete ass. And Gal Gadot slays it. She plays the role at the various stages in the characters life with so much feeling. Loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you cry Fawbish? :lol I saw some article on USA Today saying that women were crying in the theater during WW's fight scenes. It was the most ridiculous thing I have read in ages.

Did you cry Fawbish? :lol I saw some article on USA Today saying that women were crying in the theater during WW's fight scenes. It was the most ridiculous thing I have read in ages.

I'm at the end of a month long sugar cut out, so I was emotionally fragile anyway. But yeah man, I got emotional with it a bit. It's still some of my favourite characters on the big screen, and it is a pretty heart wrenching film at times. :thumbsup

I'm at the end of a month long sugar cut out, so I was emotionally fragile anyway. But yeah man, I got emotional with it a bit. It's still some of my favourite characters on the big screen, and it is a pretty heart wrenching film at times. :thumbsup
Try being a diabetic, life is a damn sugar cut! I figured you would, you big softie! ;) I might see it this weekend, we will have to discuss after I have seen it.

you can't say stuff like that these days. it's against the law ;o)

i must be around some of the most un emotional theaters in the state. we never get these type of reactions at ANY movie i've been in. these reviewers must be in some swinging area.

you can't say stuff like that these days. it's against the law ;o)

i must be around some of the most un emotional theaters in the state. we never get these type of reactions at ANY movie i've been in. these reviewers must be in some swinging area.

Sorry man... I have to call you out on this one because you are sounding a bit 'trollish' with that statement...

So you've never been in a movie where people laughed out loud or cheered or clapped at the beginning or end of it, or cried during an emotional scene or reacted or called out during a scary scene?

It's a spontaneous emotional response... people react differently to different things... I'll admit that the theater's gotten a bit dusty for me at times; i.e. the "I'm not strong enough" scene in The Incredibles or the opening montage in Up!... and these are cartoons!

oy ;o)

Nope. never.

the most reaction i ever got was making the mistake of going to see the rugrats movie with a theater full of kids just to see the phantom menace trailer. lots of crying at that one.
Other than that, I can't remember a single movie i went to where people did anything other than answer a cell phone...or laugh a lot at a few riff trax showings....

but cheer?

never.

oy ;o)

Nope. never.

the most reaction i ever got was making the mistake of going to see the rugrats movie with a theater full of kids just to see the phantom menace trailer. lots of crying at that one.
Other than that, I can't remember a single movie i went to where people did anything other than answer a cell phone...or laugh a lot at a few riff trax showings....

but cheer?

never.

How many opening nights/weekend have you gone to out of curiosity? TFA were full of people in costume and there was definite cheering... there was cheering in the theater I was at when Nimoy came on scene in the first JJ Trek...

Heck there was cheering in the after credits at the showing I was at when Howard the Duck showed up....

Ah see, I'm in the UK, where shouting in the theatre would be well weird and rude. I'm glad too - I wanna experience the film!

DBQzzpeU0AAmdcU.jpg

I don't know who she is, but she has a valid point here.

Also had the dubious honor of having to add someone to my ignore list for the first time. I'm sorry if you think that women having genuine feelings over seeing a character that they have been waiting to see on the big screen for decades strikes you as "ridiculous", but it sounds like you have a lack of empathy that precludes you from understanding that your experience isn't the same as everyone else's. Frankly, I don't have time or the mental bandwidth to deal with it.

How many opening nights/weekend have you gone to out of curiosity? TFA were full of people in costume and there was definite cheering... there was cheering in the theater I was at when Nimoy came on scene in the first JJ Trek...

Heck there was cheering in the after credits at the showing I was at when Howard the Duck showed up....

Nope.

Not in the ones i saw. i usually don't go opening night. i usually save it for a saturday on week release if I REALLY want to see it, or wait two weeks for the theater to be less full of kids or half full if i don't.

The times where the theater was full, MAYBE once did we get a whooping for The Phantom Menace, but that might be the ONLY time i can remember any noise in a theater that wasn't a laugh. and i don't even really hear too many of those these days.

Maybe i'm just in an older neighborhood and the more boisterous crowds go during the night.

Nope.

Not in the ones i saw. i usually don't go opening night. i usually save it for a saturday on week release if I REALLY want to see it, or wait two weeks for the theater to be less full of kids or half full if i don't.

The times where the theater was full, MAYBE once did we get a whooping for The Phantom Menace, but that might be the ONLY time i can remember any noise in a theater that wasn't a laugh. and i don't even really hear too many of those these days.

Maybe i'm just in an older neighborhood and the more boisterous crowds go during the night.

Well there you go... yes, you usually don't get those kind of reactions the later into the release a film gets... the people who really want to go see something generally watch a film the first week if not opening night....

As an example... I swear I saw this in the 40th thread but apparently not.... a tape recording of the audience reactions to Star Wars back in 1977:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxBafn2t5v4

View attachment 733367

Also had the dubious honor of having to add someone to my ignore list for the first time. I'm sorry if you think that women having genuine feelings over seeing a character that they have been waiting to see on the big screen for decades strikes you as "ridiculous", but it sounds like you have a lack of empathy that precludes you from understanding that your experience isn't the same as everyone else's. Frankly, I don't have time or the mental bandwidth to deal with it.

One's parents basement is a cold and lonely place....

View attachment 733367

If youre referring to me, and what I said about the article, the way it was written was ridiculous. But if youre going to be that dramatic and put me on ignore then fine. Even that thing you posted is showing how much pressure there is on a movie about a fictional character. I think things get way over blown now a days, this is a movie for crying out loud. People turn it into a feminist war cry when its meant to be entertainment. Being a comic book nerd I have seen some movies that I thought I would never see on the big screen, but did I cry when Spider-Man webbed up a dude? When Captain America hoisted his shield? Of course not. Now cheering and stuff like that, of course I have done that in a theater. I have also got a bit misty in a theater before too, but it was over more thematic issues as opposed to a character fighting, which we have seen already in BvS. I just dont understand. And I would appreciate not being chastised just because I dont feel the same way as others, like I said, it was a USA today article, and some of those are written by people that couldnt write for a high school newspaper. That was pretty much what I was getting at. Some of you people need to un-clench the sphincter around here. I wasnt trying to troll or anything, I guess I should have explained in way more context how awful the article was written, but I didnt think I had to do that. Lesson learned.

Also regarding the image that Firesprite posted...Yeah, after I walked out of BvS, I vowed never to watch another Zack Snyder movie again...so theres that. But it probably doesnt matter. :rolleyes

...did I cry when Spider-Man webbed up a dude? When Captain America hoisted his shield? Of course not. Now cheering and stuff like that, of course I have done that in a theater. I have also got a bit misty in a theater before too, but it was over more thematic issues as opposed to a character fighting...

Have you seen Wonder Woman yet? Because the scene when she goes "over the top" is a thematic issue.

Have you seen Wonder Woman yet? Because the scene when she goes "over the top" is a thematic issue.

The emotive quality of the opening night screening of this moment is highly, highly charged. I was welling up, definitely.

I think also the definition of crying is something to qualify. Feeling powerful emotion elicits a physiological response in people, raised hairs, tears will form etc. Its just natural - add to that the power of representation that the modern diverse audience brings to the film, and its a recipe for electric emotion.

Her going over the top is a meta victory of so many levels for so many people.

Also, Snikt , I love BvS, and WW moments in that film were awesome. But they aren't a patch on the WW moments in this film. :thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator:
Not yet, I plan on seeing it with my mom on Sunday. Maybe Ill cheer, maybe Ill just sit there with a grin on my face, but Im pretty sure Im not going to cry. Who knows though, if a dog gets killed or something like that I might cry. Dog deaths always get me. Cried like a baby when I saw Old Yeller when I was a kid.
@Fawbish I know you do man. Youre the only person I "know" that does. :lol Rock on.

I do have a question. Do they just have her riff playing the entire time? Cause I swear to god that is the coolest thing DC has done so far. That little riff.

Not yet, I plan on seeing it with my mom on Sunday. Maybe Ill cheer, maybe Ill just sit there with a grin on my face, but Im pretty sure Im not going to cry. Who knows though, if a dog gets killed or something like that I might cry. Dog deaths always get me. Cried like a baby when I saw Old Yeller when I was a kid.
@Fawbish I know you do man. Youre the only person I "know" that does. :lol Rock on.

I do have a question. Do they just have her riff playing the entire time? Cause I swear to god that is the coolest thing DC has done so far. That little riff.

No, not always. It's carefully dropped in, and its also sound mixed into other songs, in the best way.

I know Suicide Squad isn't the best, but the way they included the new Batman theme "Beautiful Lie" and mixed it in with the Deadshot scenes. It's similar to that, and the music comes in when its needed. It doesn't overstay it's welcome though.

Fawbish Damn. Seriously, just hearing that riff got me pumped, even at the end of the trailer when the logo showed up and the riff started.

Hell I didnt even know Batman had a new theme.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Fawbish Damn. Seriously, just hearing that riff got me pumped, even at the end of the trailer when the logo showed up and the riff started.

Hell I didnt even know Batman had a new theme.

The beauty of immersing myself in these films. Hans Zimmer is my bae. Theres more going on if you (can bear) to look closer... ;)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back