Star Wars Rogue One new ships!

I'm glad to see that the new Walker is larger. Whenever I watch empire, the at at's seem massive. But then all the specs I see make them look about 1/3 as big as I feel they appear.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I think the scene in ESB where Luke is hoisting up to the underside pretty well sets the scale of the AT-AT regardless of any other desciptions.

R/ Robert

I think the scene in ESB where Luke is hoisting up to the underside pretty well sets the scale of the AT-AT regardless of any other desciptions.

R/ Robert

Agreed! In fact most of the officially stated LFL numbers are easily debunked by checking against the ships as they appear on screen.

Not that even those are perfectly consistent.

--Alex

The foot is also a good indication. Unless I'm mistaken, it was about the size of the snowspeeder

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Aye, though that is one way to best establish the size of the snowspeeder as a derivative of the AT-AT's size. It should work out to be consistent with the set piece that Hamil is vacating as the foot comes down... this is almost as straight-forward as scaling ships that display an Astromech dome...

R/ Robert

R/ Robert

Yep,,...there's a great guy over on the Original Trlogy.com (Savmagoett) who did some scaling of the different scenes of the AT-AT,....he used that shot to work out the overall scale of the Walker & drew up some tasty wire diagrams to illustrate.....which led me to do a mock-up of the AT-AT foot crushing Luke's Speeder,...re-sizing the foot

http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Discussing-about-scales-in-star-wars/id/10969/page/3

Snowspeedersize1.jpg

Snowspeedersize3.jpg

Snowspeedersize2.jpg

Those three images are pretty consistent with the rest of the snowspeeder shots and are portraying a snowspeeder of approx 5.3m length.
Snowspeedersize0.jpg

Now the AT-AT.
Below the most obvious scale establishing shot of the At At is portraying a length of about 30 m length (height varying between 24 - 26 m, depending of the stance):

ATATsize1.jpg

it's consistent with all these shots (red lines are for the 30m ATAT):
ATATsize2B.jpg

ATATsize6.jpg

The crushing scene however shows an AT-AT foot that would make a 18.5 m AT-AT, not very convincing and inconsistent with all the above said. I'd say it has to be fixed (as said on Ady's tread). (the red lines are the 30m ATAT & the green ones the 18.5m ATAT):
ATATsize11.jpg

ATATsize12.jpg

And here's my conclusion chart:

ATATsize0.jpg

....and my mock-up of the AT-AT foot crushing Luke's Speeder,...re-sizing the foot:

445522956_300x170.jpgBig Foot (original soundtrack)
Uploaded Aug 6, 2013, 3:40 PM
00:15

J

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent analysis! Congrats to Savmagoett on his work.

Love the clip. Much more impact (pun unintended but happy discovery nonetheless!) than the original...

R/ Robert

Last edited:
ooooh. whats that coming over the hill, is it a ...
at at rogue one.jpgnew at at 2.jpg
check Colin furze you tube channel to see where I got this still from.
Looks ok me thinks.

I still don't know why that cargo container is orange. That's like, the only splash of colour in the empire

And why is the section below the container also orange?
Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It's a Disney Star Wars mechanism to draw interest.

- Red C-3PO arm.
- Orange AT-ACT belly.

Guessing the next movie will have a yellow something if artistic director Roy G Biv has anything to say about it.

In case anyone was wondering...
attachment.jpg
IMG_6212.jpg
attachment-1.jpg
IMG_6213.jpg
And remember, Revell says they used ILM's original digital assets to sculpt their kit, so you know their accuracy is dead on. Who are you going to believe, them or your own lying eyes?

In case anyone was wondering...
View attachment 687599
View attachment 687600
View attachment 687601
View attachment 687602
And remember, Revell says they used ILM's original digital assets to sculpt their kit, so you know their accuracy is dead on. Who are you going to believe, them or your own lying eyes?

I don;t think its fair that you are comparing it with a later finalized version. Much like with the TFA, the models were started well ahead of the movie effects being finalized. If you compare the Revell AT-AT to this early model Disney was displaying at least as far back as July you will see it actually is much more accurate to that model. They probably used the same asset that was used to create that model, or may have even directly used that model itself.

I think the problem is the lead time needed to get the product produced means they are working with either simplified or incomplete digital assets. You can see the same issues with the Bandai U-Wing and Bandai Force Awakens 1/144 falcon. They do not match the final renderings shown in the movie. It looks like basic proportions are correct, just the details were later added (much better looking I must say than the original model we see here)
star-wars-celebration-at-act-cargo-walker.jpg
at-act-cargo-walker_w2bz.jpg

Attachments

• star-wars-celebration-at-act-cargo-walker.jpg
    star-wars-celebration-at-act-cargo-walker.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 213
I don;t think its fair that you are comparing it with a later finalized version. Much like with the TFA, the models were started well ahead of the movie effects being finalized. If you compare the Revell AT-AT to this early model Disney was displaying at least as far back as July you will see it actually is much more accurate to that model. They probably used the same asset that was used to create that model, or may have even directly used that model itself.

You appear to be right that Revell based their kit on a prototype, but that still leaves us with a kit based on a prototype, not what appears in the film and what (I assume) is considered canon. Is it a fair comparison? I think so, because I don't want a model based on a prototype that was seen under a case in a traveling roadshow and doesn't end up on screen. I understand how and why this happens logistically, but at the end of the day we're still left with a kit that doesn't look like the vehicle in the movie -- which is kinda the point.

It will be interesting to compare Bandai's U-wing to Revell's once Bandai's is finally released since one would assume they had roughly the same production lead time. I'd bet money that Bandai's somehow ends up being more accurate.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to compare Bandai's U-wing to Revell's once Bandai's is finally released since one would assume they had roughly the same production lead time. I'd bet money that Bandai's somehow ends up being more accurate.
I think someone did a comparison and supposedly the Bandai is actually less accurate (at least in regards to panel line placement etc...) but who knows for sure at this point

Here's a comparison with the prototype.
View attachment 687611
I agree. It's certainly closer, but...

...the detail sucks on both compared to the later finished version :lol

I definitely agree with that

I'd rather have gotten a more detailed kit after the movie opened then a half thought out proto-type on shelves months before it opens

edit:

In fact, when I first saw that god awful model they had on display I was not a fan of the AT-ACT, but seeing those recent renders, I have come to like it much better

I think someone did a comparison and supposedly the Bandai is actually less accurate (at least in regards to panel line placement etc...) but who knows for sure at this point

Yeah, I saw that too. The Bandai (assuming it's close to the final design) gets the placement of the wings right (the pivot point is too far back on the Revell) and includes the snowspeeder-like engine grill between the engine pods (Revell doesn't have it at all). Bandai's also has a line of greebly detail on the wings (or are they "S-foils"?) themselves. We'll have to see if their final version gets the panels wrong, but I still think the accuracy nod would have to go to Bandai.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back