Mr Robot

S2_complete.Mr.Robot_cool_af.

Thoroughly enjoyed. The twists and turns and decisions are excellent. The direction is great, and I love the serious quality of the show. The tone can be a bit nihilistic sometimes, but that is almost remedied by the characters themselves questioning things. And they ring some great emotion out of the actors. I'm totally hooked for S3.

The episode that didn't feature Rami at all was the best. I'm serious.

That was a great episode. I think Darlene sometimes lacks a little depth, but other times the character works really well.

Did you prefer this episode because of the lack of Elliot, or just on its own merits?

I think I got about 6 episodes into season 1 and kind of lost interest.

There are a few things that turned me off of the show:

- The Tyrell Wellick character/arc is too weird for me.
- Formulaic things like "he gets a dirtbag put in jail, and then guy ends up coming back and manipulating him a few episodes later"

I'm not totally writing it off but it's not always easy to sit through an entire episode... for me anyway.

re: Tyrell Wellick - agreed.

- hes a bit unrealistic for me.
- even his own relationship with his 'wife' is odd, and doesnt make much sense.

Season 1 was still great for me! (a couple miss episodes, but I'm a programmer/hobby electronics geek, so I really dig the 'hacks' aspect the most)

Season 2 was not liked as much, but still good. I get the character building, and the 'inner struggle' with things and they each are handling 'it all'...

not really a fan of 'Darlene' character.... one dimensional,..etc cliche` statements/actions.

(but having her 'kill' someone? really? a little script kiddie chic all of a sudden turns to 'murder' ,........well, was a stretch for me to say the least)

Still not totally clear on the prison warden thing and the 'website'?

I totally didnt see the 'why he was in prison' part coming AT ALL!.

I kept asking,,, but WHY is he in there? What did I miss? haha

That was a great episode. I think Darlene sometimes lacks a little depth, but other times the character works really well.

Did you prefer this episode because of the lack of Elliot, or just on its own merits?

Elliot talking to the audience and the whole is it real/not real thing gets old after a while. The tension in that particular episode was so thick you could cut it with a knife! I was like, this s#$t is about to get real. Lol! Now we are back to fantasy land.

Elliot talking to the audience and the whole is it real/not real thing gets old after a while. The tension in that particular episode was so thick you could cut it with a knife! I was like, this s#$t is about to get real. Lol! Now we are back to fantasy land.

I won't spoil anything for other people but to me, the fantasy land stuff is so important. I get a real sense of awe occasionally when I think about what genuinely just went on in a particular scene when you take into account that..

Elliot is Mr. Robot and Mr. Robot is Elliot. When you step back and just remember that this one guy is the person doing all of this stuff, and we are simply introduced to his "good side" and therefore we empathize with him, when really, is he a sympathetic character? I'm not so sure. He's a tortured individual whose reality is in flux most of the time, and sometimes I just need to remind myself that what we've just seen is for example in the prison reveal in the beating in Season 2 and the hospital visit, his mind protecting itself (in an emotional moment of Mr. Robot taking the beating for him), not a "figment of his imagination" which would be so easy to dismiss it with. I just really enjoy the depth, as pretentious as it sometimes can be.

re: Tyrell Wellick - agreed.

- hes a bit unrealistic for me.
- even his own relationship with his 'wife' is odd, and doesnt make much sense.

Season 1 was still great for me! (a couple miss episodes, but I'm a programmer/hobby electronics geek, so I really dig the 'hacks' aspect the most)

Season 2 was not liked as much, but still good. I get the character building, and the 'inner struggle' with things and they each are handling 'it all'...

not really a fan of 'Darlene' character.... one dimensional,..etc cliche` statements/actions.

(but having her 'kill' someone? really? a little script kiddie chic all of a sudden turns to 'murder' ,........well, was a stretch for me to say the least)

Still not totally clear on the prison warden thing and the 'website'?

I totally didnt see the 'why he was in prison' part coming AT ALL!.

I kept asking,,, but WHY is he in there? What did I miss? haha

As far as I understood it - we know his routine, that is, the living at home in his single bed, his "mother" nearby, his visits to the diner, his visits to the basketball, his diary , the support group etc all of that, was a metaphor for the prison locations. Pretty straight forward.

Ray actually was running a black market style trafficking website, and was using the bent prison guards as his muscle to coerce Elliot into helping, or punishing him when he didn't. When Elliot managed to contact the FBI, Ray presumably got caught, just as he did in the metaphor. So that computer stuff was real, he did manage to communicate with Darlene etc. When the white power inmates got in Elliots face because he had removed the big cheese (which was probably making the white supremacists money on the outside using the website) they wanted to revenge kill Elliot and Leon protected him for Whiterose on the inside.

And I thought it was good that the first season affected the second season with the cheater hack and the dog stealing haha.

For quite a few episodes I thought Mr. Robot/Christian Slater was gong to be like a Tyler Durden construct/fracture of Elliot's mind. When I realized it wasn't I was actually a little disappointed.

For quite a few episodes I thought Mr. Robot/Christian Slater was gong to be like a Tyler Durden construct/fracture of Elliot's mind. When I realized it wasn't I was actually a little disappointed.

Before I say anything, where are you upto in the series?

Than you really need to keep watching! :)
Fawbish -

thanks for the clarification on Ray/Website stuff.. (thats the part I wasnt very clear about)

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved Season 1 but the second season really lost me. It has a lot of that Twin Peaks-style "things are not what they seem" going on, and that just got to be a bit too much. Some wonderful direction, though. I hope they conclude it all in Season 3 next year rather than rambling on like so many series do.

I loved Season 1 but the second season really lost me. It has a lot of that Twin Peaks-style "things are not what they seem" going on, and that just got to be a bit too much. Some wonderful direction, though. I hope they conclude it all in Season 3 next year rather than rambling on like so many series do.

Was discussing that with a work colleague. For most of Season 2, I slightly preferred Season 1. And yet at the end of Season 2...it is overall, I think better. Slightly. My colleague immediately preferred Season 2, and enjoyed the mind feck moments a lot. I just love that theres quite a lot to sink your teeth into.

Agreed however, I'd like them to be wrapped up by the end of Season 4 - with only 12/13 episodes, 3 seasons might be a little short. I do hope they have an endgame - I imagine Sam Esmail does though, as the series was originally conceived as a feature film.

I still think there are more people in his head than Elliot and Mr Robot. I have some ideas but Ill keep the to myself until next season.

14469496_673764292772866_7565141280553273169_n.jpg

I can't believe no one is discussing this. This is perhaps the best television since Breaking Bad!

I can't believe no one is discussing this. This is perhaps the best television since Breaking Bad!

I haven't been been able to bring myself to start this season. I felt like season 2 was all over the place as far as quality goes, and was quite a bit too slow.

I've heard season 3 starts some pretty sci-fi stuff...like possible elements of time travel. Is that accurate?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back